Noisy water lines

Hartfield

Hi All

Just purchased a 2011/12 33TBUD. On checking it out, we had a problem with noisy water pipes and low pressure. We replaced the water pump, which has given us good pressure but it hasn't improved the noise (assume air) in the pipes. The noise isn't there when we connect to the city supply, only when we use the water tank and pump.

Can anyone help, as it is now getting very frustrating????!!!!!

danemayer

Hi Hartfield,

Congratulations on your new-to-you North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Water pumps are noisy to start with, and often are noisier than usual if the attached water lines are vibrating against something, or if the pump is missing any mounting screws, or if the screws are over-tightened.

But since you mentioned 1) low pressure, and 2) the possibility of air in the line, I'd check the winterizing controls. If the antifreeze suction line is partially open, the pump will be sucking in some air which might cause both symptoms.

On the inlet side of the pump (there's usually a filter bowl on the inlet side), you should find suction hose that has a valve. Make sure the valve is closed and with pump running, check for air noise on the inlet side and on the suction hose.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our 21fbs, pipes would rattle behind the shower when we used the pump. Unfortunately, no way to get to them to insulate them. We ended up getting a Flojet variable speed pump, which helped reduce the vibrations to a more tolerable amount. Investigate what Dan said, and also see if pipes rattling are accessible. If so, add some pipe insulation around them to reduce the rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

I added an accumulator tank to my water system. You can buy a small one at most camping supply stores. These little tanks already have the connectors to connect to the pump output, but they don't hold much extra water. You can buy larger accumulator tanks at HD or Lowes, but you have to fit them into your water system (not very difficult).

An accumulator tank is a pressurized tank. They can greatly reduce run time on the pump. Here's how it works: When pressure drops below xx psi the pump turns on and runs until pressure reaches yy psi. The accumulator tank should be set to the pump's turn-on pressure of xx psi. The tank hold extra water and acts as a cushion to help reduce pump noise. You also have less noise because the pump runs less.

lynndiwagoner

You might check the connections to the water pump. On my BC there is a flexible hose connected to the input to the pump and a rigid line connected to the output side of the pump. Shurflo recommends both connections to the pump be flexible. The flexible hoses connected to both sides of the pump will reduce the vibration noise considerably.

I discovered in my Travel Trailer the same issue, a very noisy water pump. The excess noise was coming from the outlet hose vibrating against the wall board cut out where the hose passed thru. The hose was in contact with the structure and the noise was amplified thru the wall. The remedy was to cut an old garden hose in half and wedge it between the water pump hose and the hard faced structure of the wall system. Problem solved. The noise was effectively abated to the extent that it is no where near the volume it was. It wasn't a very scientific fix, but it worked, and continues to do so now.