Towing a 2009 Cyclone 3795 with a new Silverado 2500HD?

Rearley

I’m new to the form and have a question on a 2009 Cyclone 3795 towing weight.

I have a 2015, Silverado 4x4, crew cab, 4.10 axle, 6.5' bed, with a 6.0L gas engine. The Chevy book has Maximum trailer weight of 14,000 lb. and GCWR of 20,500 for a fifth-wheel trailer.

Long story short, can I pull the Cyclone 3795 through Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee ok?

jimtoo

Hi Rearly,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have questions about anything in/on your unit, you can usually find the answer right here.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

AAdams

Hello and welcome to the forum. From looking on the internet at used ones for sale I found that the Cyclone's dry weight is 11,950 and pin is 2380. The max gvwr of the cyclone is 18k. So assuming you
are pulling it with nothing in it and no upgrades from the original stripped down version, yes technically you could pull it. But, that said, add the weight of upgrades to the trailer, passengers, and other items in the truck and you will be over. IMHO, I wouldn't do it. If you run your truck at or over the max you could damage something.
The Math; 20500 Max GCWR
- 6525 Curb weight of a basic CC 2500 HD WT
-11950 Cyclone base dry weight ( before upgrades and options )
Leaves 2025 lbs total for passengers, cargo, propane, water, 5th wheel hitch, options and upgrades on the truck and trailer.

Max payload of 2500HD is 3152 lbs - 2380 pin weight= 772 lbs for passengers, fuel, 5th wheel hitch and cargo in the truck itself. This 772 lbs is included in the 2025 capacity stated above, not in addition to.

To sum it up, I wouldn't do it.

sengli

Since your truck isnt a diesel, you dont have a exhaust brake either. Having that coach push you down a hill fully loaded and having to try and stop it might be bad. The toyhaulers are always heavier compared to many of the similarly sized standard fifth wheels. I had a GM 2500 just like yours not that long ago, and I got 7 MPG towing, a smaller fiver than yours.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry, but absolutly not. Your truck is not even close to being legal for the trailer. You will probably kill the engine and trans fairly soon. Even a 2500HD with the D/A combo is not legal as they are rated at 17200# for a 5er. Only a 3500HD D/A is legal and with that much weight you need a DRW. Your issue is the GVW of the trailer. At 18K, you are waaay over the legal weight. A county mountie will only look and the 18K and then faint. The empty weight has no bearing on legal or not legal.

Your truck probably weighs 6K. The CY has GVW of 18K. So thats 24K. You are now 4K over your trucks rating and probably way over the pin weight rating and you have not even figured in the weight of fuel, people, etc, etc.

Rearley

It's funny how a dealership told me I could pull 40 plus foot toy hauler. I'm now looking at a stock combo trailer that is in 6000# range and only 24" long.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You could go back to the dealer and have him show you where in the owners manual it said that. When he can't...you might go have along talk with the owner/manager. You might even press the issue and have them give you a truck rated to pull what you want (18K) at a very discounted price. False advertising by an employee would be a good start. BTW, even a 2500HD D/A combo will not do it. You need a 3500HD D/A.

sengli

This brings up a point for me. An RV dealer in ohio, (dave arborgast) told me they cant legally deliver a trailer unless the tow vehicle is rated for to tow it. Apparently the state of ohio has much stricter laws on this stuff than other states must have. Which is all good. Some sales people will tell you anything you want to hear to get the unit off their lot.