4x4 Dually or 4x2 Dually?

TxCowboy

I'm a big fan of having excess capacity on my tow vehicle. I used to own a Ford F350 4x4 dually but the heaviest thing I towed was a bumper-hitched bass boat.

Looking to get something similar (OK, probably another F350) but had a question.

How many of you paid for the 4x4 upgrade and actually use it?

Wife and I probably will do very little boondocking and we're more destination campers -- we find a place we like, move the RV there, and stay for extended periods, e.g., months at a time.

I've always heard the adage that "you won't miss it until you need it". But, for you all that change campgrounds frequently, how often do you really use the 4x4 capability?

Then there's the additional maintenance and fuel mileage impact...

What say you?

OEFVET

Really no additional maintenance except for whats scheduled. I take my rig camping in the winter to go sledding and sking. That reason alone is well worth having it. The other main reason is when I go to certain rallies alot of times we are parked on grass. It works out well until we get some rain. I have watched many RVs get stuck and make a mess in these conditions. I may not need it but I would rather have it and not need it. The additional cost and maintenance are minimal. In my opinion.

pegmikef

My decision was easy since my dealer and Ford dealers in the surrounding area (of San Angelo) rarely have 4 X 2s meaning that I would have had to order one. . . and then wait and wait and wait. No thanks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
4x4 because we travel to go skiing in winter -- but here in TX, if we get frozen precip we get ice, not snow. Since DH still drives to work, I'd definitely rather have 4x4 then 4x2 for the non towing instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Two and a half years full-timing on the road with two different 4x2 DRW trucks and haven't missed 4x4 yet.

With that said, we recently stayed in a campground in Tampa (for the RV show, along with several other Heartland owners) and the mud was horrible in the area we were staying in. We were fortunate that our site was pretty much mud-free so I backed ours in without incident. A couple other folks were not as lucky. In both cases, other Heartlanders with 4x4's came to the rescue to help the 4x2 owners get their rigs backed in though the mud.

porthole

Retired
I needed 4WD twice when I had my GMC. Once on sand (newly created RV sites at the Jersey shore) and once on damp grass.

I gave a lot of thought to ordering my 350 in 2WD, but those two times with the trailer changed my mind.
I think if I lived in Texas or Florida I would get a 2WD.

We don't ski and I have no desire to tow my trailer anywhere there may be snow.

aatauses

Ours is a 4x2 and could have used 4 wheel drive a few times, but do enjoy the 2 wheel drive for the fuel economy.
al
currently in crystal River, fl

TxCowboy

Very insightful and thanks to all for their comments!

How many mpg difference to you get or lose between the 4x2 vs. 4x4?

Birchwood

We have a 4*2 GMC dually and have been RVing continually for the last 6 years .I am a big four wheel drive fan
if you are in the snow belt like New Brunswick where we are from.I drive a 4 by 4 all summer for my work and know their capabilities and have had a 4 wheel drive for many years.
All I am saying is we have never required a 4 wheel dive hauling our Landmark.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am in swla and would not have a truck without 4wd now. We tailgate for college football and our home site is on grass and have needed and used it many times after and during rains. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
A dually actually give you less rear end traction in rain and ice than a standard SRW. It is because it has so much more surface area that is flat on the road. When it rains or there is ice on the road I turn on 4x4 and the truck goes from wanting to spinout to tracking right down the road. When it comes to maintenance and fuel mileage I really do not see a big difference.

I'm a big fan of having excess capacity on my tow vehicle. I used to own a Ford F350 4x4 dually but the heaviest thing I towed was a bumper-hitched bass boat.

Looking to get something similar (OK, probably another F350) but had a question.

Wife and I probably will do very little boondocking and we're more destination campers -- we find a place we like, move the RV there, and stay for extended periods, e.g., months at a time.

I've always heard the adage that "you won't miss it until you need it". But, for you all that change campgrounds frequently, how often do you really use the 4x4 capability?

What say you?

jeffdee

What say you?

I have used my 4 wheel drive twice in the last six weeks moving my Cyclone around in the yard. In the past I would have to use my Kubota tractor (4x4) to pull my F250 SRW 2WD when on wet grass hooked to the Cyclone.

Lynn1130

If this is a diesel, a 4X2 diesel is basically a waste of a diesel engine upgrade. IMHO a 4X2 in anything above a 1500/150 is like kissing your sister. If you have a big truck to pull a big load, there will certainly be times when you need 4 wheel pulling power be it wet grass, sand, mud or a snowy road while going over a mountain pass.

Kbvols

If but for nothing other than resale value/ability I would always opt for 4x4 at least in the north where we live. With that said I have used 4 wheel drive several times due to wet grassy areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Good comments, all. Maybe I should have added that I've been driving 4x4 trucks my whole life so I'm familiar their characteristics.

Have been checking out new 1 ton trucks to tow the 5er and just noted that 4x4 is a pricey upgrade. DW questions whether a dually is needed but I like duallies so she really doesn't get a vote on that.

Thanks again, all!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't agree that 4WD is a necessity. I had it on my GMC 2500 and used it twice in the 7 years that I owned it so when I upgraded to the Dodge 3500 DRW, I decided on a 2WD. I've had it 4 1/2 years and haven't need it. We have been full time for over 6 years.

OEFVET

Very insightful and thanks to all for their comments!

How many mpg difference to you get or lose between the 4x2 vs. 4x4?

No difference in mileage since the new trucks disengage at the transfer case. Older trucks with locking differentials would use a little more fuel.

JanAndBill

Really steep gravel drive up to our house, so 4x2 is not an option. However I have also used 4 wheel drive in a few campgrounds we've been to where the sites were not paved, or the interior roads were steep and gravel. I probably could have got by without on some of those occasions, but with 4 wheel drive there was never a question. I've also been in snow and mud a few times where it has been a lifesaver. For me I'll stay with 4x4.