Heartland Recall

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim,
Very interesting. This is the first time I have heard of this. Trace

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I found out about this thru a posting on Facebook forum that I belong to, so I looked on the Heartland forum and didn't see anything posted.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
According to the NHTSA, Heartland will announce on 2/16. We are a bit early. This is a new one on me.

On the Facebook forum that I got this info from, some owners have all ready been notified by Heartland as to this recall. Early or not it's info for those concerned.
Just be ready to take it to your dealer for repair.

hoefler

Will be very interesting!! Move axles rearward and adding ballast to the pin. If your close on your weights, you will be even closer in not over.

sengli

There was a thread on here two orthree weeks or so ago where a guy said he his BC3900 was unstable when trying to tow it. Apparently this is why.

'Lil Guy'

I love my Heartland unit but this kind of a recall really makes me wonder about their engineering and manufacturing process. Seems it should be an immediate recall and not put off. I guess this is another reason we all should hit the scales and see how our TT weights are distributed. This kind of mistake is unacceptable in my eyes. Ballast added to the nose is another word for unusable weight to cover up a design flaw.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I love my Heartland unit but this kind of a recall really makes me wonder about their engineering and manufacturing process. Seems it should be an immediate recall and not put off. I guess this is another reason we all should hit the scales and see how our TT weights are distributed. This kind of mistake is unacceptable in my eyes. Ballast added to the nose is another word for unusable weight to cover up a design flaw.

Well, I didn't even get 5000 miles on my trailer and had a wheel bearing burn out (which also took out the brake assembly at over $1000 to get us back on the road 1000 miles from home), not to mention that the springs are shot as well (will be checking into getting them replaced soon - along with the five tires that got ripped up when the trailer bottomed out on them), but since we are past our one-year warranty, both Heartland and Lippert offered to transfer me to their parts department so I could buy said replacement parts.

Seems to me that we should get more miles than that out of the factory . . . but apparently they don't think so!

I believe that my issues are also a design flaw . . .

If I have had this issue so easily, I'm sure that many others must had had the same problems.

But I have't seen a recall notice for our trailer.

rdufek

I received a call on Friday /13/2015 from Heartland directly. Very limited information given. I have the Bighorn 3750Fl. I called my dealer today to get the ball rolling. They also have limited information but it is their understanding my particular model will have to be shipped back to Heartland. It's funny as I had told my wife when we picked up the unit that the axles seemed to be too far forward.

Bob and Valerie

rdufek

Just a quick update, I was in touch with my dealer again today 2/17/15, they are now saying they are able to preform the recall. It appears the axles are to be moved back 30 1/2 inches in the easy explanation. There is no information on ballast but I will keep you informed on what I hear. My dealer is working very diligently with me to get the problem resolved and I appreciate their help.

Bob and Valerie

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
30 1/2 " back should not need any ballast added as it will increase pin weight quite a bit. Also sounds like the lower "J" wrap..at least the front part will need to be replaced.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Not all models listed on the recall are going to need the ballast added.

Read the recall notice..................

JanAndBill

Just a quick update, I was in touch with my dealer again today 2/17/15, they are now saying they are able to preform the recall. It appears the axles are to be moved back 30 1/2 inches in the easy explanation. There is no information on ballast but I will keep you informed on what I hear. My dealer is working very diligently with me to get the problem resolved and I appreciate their help.

Bob and Valerie

Are you sure about moving them back 30-1/2", that's a lot and in the big scheme of things and will shift a significant amount of weight over to the king pin/truck. When they published the original pin weight was it incorrect and actually reflected the proposed new axle location?

rdufek

Are you sure about moving them back 30-1/2", that's a lot and in the big scheme of things and will shift a significant amount of weight over to the king pin/truck. When they published the original pin weight was it incorrect and actually reflected the proposed new axle location?

I have a copy of the service procedure for the recall, 30 1/2 inches is it. I do not have information on ballast, when I was contacted by Heartland I was advised a ballast was to be added too, again this Ballast was direct from Heartland, however there is no mention of it in the service procedure. New J skirts are to be added. The only problem I potentially see is access to the pull handles on the rear tanks. Heartland states an EXPERIENCED technician should be able to move axles in 5 hours.

Bob and Valerie

rdufek

No, Heartland said it would be added to the Pinbox. Keep in mind the root of the problem is because of the lack of weight on the pin.

Bob and Valerie