Medical Emergency Assistance

Chippendale

I saw an ad for Good Sam Travel Assist and it got me to thinking, maybe I should look into something like this. I am planning on an extended trip this summer with my cocker spaniel and while she can be good company, I don't think she would be much help in an emergency. I had a friend who had a real bad stroke in Ruidoso and had to be air lifted to El Paso for treatment. He had his wife with him and some friends there that could help with their RV and dogs, whereas, I might be by myself. While I am at the 3/4 century mark, my health is very good, but you never know. Does anyone have any experience with the Good Sam program or know of another one that I might look at also?

Thanks,
George

pegmikef

I don't have any experience with it, but I have had Travel Assist with Good Sams for about a year and a half because I, like you, felt we needed something and this was available. I know there is another one out there, but I don't remember the name. As I remember, it was a little pricey and you had to pay the whole thing up front (my thought at the time was what if the company folded??).

danemayer

We have the Good Sam Travel Assist. Have used it twice to recover $200 for ambulance rides taking DW to the hospital, which is usually about the amount not covered by insurance.

The first claim, I was about 45 days late submitting the reimbursement request - must be submitted within 90 days. In my reimbursement request, I acknowledged that I was late and asked them if they would consider paying the claim anyway. They did.

If you need your rig returned, that's where the big $ will be saved.

Paul & Nan

We have Sky Med, it covers ambulance and chopper transportation from anywhere,including our home. Thank God we have not needed it. As Mike said, you pay up front, we bought at a rally and got a better price, then added more time with an offer they sent us all sorts of benefits.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We also have SkyMed. It paid for part of an ambulance call that health insurance didn't cover even though we didn't think to call them right away.

Kristy

Gaffer

We too have been having this conversation. Need to look into the difference between Good Sam and Sky Med. Anyone already looked at the difference in depth? Care to share any notes?
Thanks

TXTiger

Before I got my Cyclone I would travel coast to coast on my Harley and stay in hotels. On one trip I had a major accident which sent me to the local hospitals trama unit. After a week in the ICU my health insurance sent a Lear Jet to transport me home. All but my deductible was covered. Check with your health plan to see what is covered in an accident away from home. The main advantage of these plans is getting your truck and rig transported. Sometimes your truck and rig insurance may cover these costs too?

Chippendale

Before I got my Cyclone I would travel coast to coast on my Harley and stay in hotels. On one trip I had a major accident which sent me to the local hospitals trama unit. After a week in the ICU my health insurance sent a Lear Jet to transport me home. All but my deductible was covered. Check with your health plan to see what is covered in an accident away from home. The main advantage of these plans is getting your truck and rig transported. Sometimes your truck and rig insurance may cover these costs too?

Page 42 of the 2015 Medicare & You book states that they will pay to get you to a hospital from where you were injured or got sick, but my guess is it would be a real hassle to get them to pay to get you home and I am sure they would not send a plane. I will call my insurance agent and see if they would pay to get my rig and truck back home, and I guess my cocker spaniel would just have to hitch hike. Good Sam's premier level policy looks like it is only $140.00 per year, and that is probably cheaper than the deductible on the car insurance and a whole lot easier than dealing with the insurance company and Medicare.

fdajnowicz

Here is what you get from FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) with your yearly ($50 new/$40 renew)
[h=2] FMCAssist Emergency Medical Evacuation and Travel Assistance Plan[/h] FMCAssist, an emergency evacuation/repatriation and emergency medical reunion benefit, is an association-paid member benefit. No sign-up required. Just join FMCA today and you are covered.
FMCAssist is included as a portion of the annual dues for all full members (F), life members (L), and family associate members (A). FMCA is the only RV club to offer such a valuable benefit to its membership. Join now.
Print FMCAssist member I.D. card — must be signed-in
[h=4]Highlights of FMCAssist include:[/h]
  • emergency evacuation/repatriation
  • emergency medical reunion
  • return of mortal remains
  • return of dependents
  • RV/vehicle return (limited to North America)
  • pet return.
FMCAssist coverage is available to members worldwide as long as you are more than 100 miles from home. You can be traveling in a motorhome, car, plane, ship, or motorcycle to be eligible for this benefit. If you are a full-time RVer, you are always considered 100 miles from home. Some exclusions and limitation amounts pertain to this benefit.
FMCAssist coverage is provided by Seven Corners and is underwritten by Lloyd’s of London.
What do you need to do to enroll in this program? Absolutely nothing! As long as you continue to keep your FMCA dues current, and as long as FMCA continues to provide this program as a benefit, you will be covered. See below for their benefits highlight

http://www.fmca.com/benefits/fmcassist.html

The question now becomes, is this type of package something the Heartland Owners association could purchase AS AN OPTION, with membership???????

wdk450

Here is what you get from FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) with your yearly ($50 new/$40 renew)
FMCAssist Emergency Medical Evacuation and Travel Assistance Plan

FMCAssist, an emergency evacuation/repatriation and emergency medical reunion benefit, is an association-paid member benefit. No sign-up required. Just join FMCA today and you are covered.
FMCAssist is included as a portion of the annual dues for all full members (F), life members (L), and family associate members (A). FMCA is the only RV club to offer such a valuable benefit to its membership. Join now.
Print FMCAssist member I.D. card — must be signed-in
Highlights of FMCAssist include:

• emergency evacuation/repatriation
  • emergency medical reunion
  • return of mortal remains
  • return of dependents
  • RV/vehicle return (limited to North America)
  • pet return.
FMCAssist coverage is available to members worldwide as long as you are more than 100 miles from home. You can be traveling in a motorhome, car, plane, ship, or motorcycle to be eligible for this benefit. If you are a full-time RVer, you are always considered 100 miles from home. Some exclusions and limitation amounts pertain to this benefit.
FMCAssist coverage is provided by Seven Corners and is underwritten by Lloyd’s of London.
What do you need to do to enroll in this program? Absolutely nothing! As long as you continue to keep your FMCA dues current, and as long as FMCA continues to provide this program as a benefit, you will be covered. See below for their benefits highlight

http://www.fmca.com/benefits/fmcassist.html

The question now becomes, is this type of package something the Heartland Owners association could purchase AS AN OPTION, with membership???????

Does FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) now allow towable RV owners as members???

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have Skymed. Escapees get a bit of a discount. They will transport me to the closest medical facility, such as if I were in Jamaica they would fly me to the US. Once I am stable they will transport me home. Here in the US they will pay for ambulance to the nearest medical facility and as before when stable they will transport me to home. They will have my RV rig transported home. Have my daughter flown to me where ever I am and then transport her and my dog Trevor back home on a private jet. Not commercial. Bought it on 5/2/2012 and it expires on 4/30/2022 for $1995.00. They would not cover my wife.

Something else I like to tell folks. Do you know about the Yellow Dot Emergency System.. I do not want to hijack this thread but if interested either me or Jack Mayer can give you some ideas about it.
If you were in an accident, your partner was in the trailer and you were in a city a long way from your registered residence. Or like me, my residence is a PMB in Livingston TX. How do the emergency responders know where your partner is located, do you have one and if you are single like me where is your trailer and is your pet there alone. If you have your phone locked they can't look for an ICE person either.

Something to think about..
BC

fdajnowicz

Bill, No, but what is to say that you use to own a motor coach (lie), sold it and bought a travel trailer or 5th wheel? My question is still "Could/Would Heartland owners organization sponsor with this Seven Corners Insurance, a group rate where we could purchase instead of including like FMCA does with Assist. I would be willing to purchase Assist for $50/6 month.

Frank Dajnowicz

wdk450

I also have Skymed. Escapees get a bit of a discount. They will transport me to the closest medical facility, such as if I were in Jamaica they would fly me to the US. Once I am stable they will transport me home. Here in the US they will pay for ambulance to the nearest medical facility and as before when stable they will transport me to home. They will have my RV rig transported home. Have my daughter flown to me where ever I am and then transport her and my dog Trevor back home on a private jet. Not commercial. Bought it on 5/2/2012 and it expires on 4/30/2022 for $1995.00. They would not cover my wife.

Something else I like to tell folks. Do you know about the Yellow Dot Emergency System.. I do not want to hijack this thread but if interested either me or Jack Mayer can give you some ideas about it.
If you were in an accident, your partner was in the trailer and you were in a city a long way from your registered residence. Or like me, my residence is a PMB in Livingston TX. How do the emergency responders know where your partner is located, do you have one and if you are single like me where is your trailer and is your pet there alone. If you have your phone locked they can't look for an ICE person either.

Something to think about..
BC

I have set up my electrical switch control panel as an emergency instructions panel. It faces the main door entrance and has a card attached to its door saying "Emergency Contacts/Instructions Inside". Inside I have taped in my Good Sam Travel Assist card, my Good Sam Emergency Road Service Card, a list of family contacts with phone numbers, and a folded up note to my son with final instructions in case of my death. In the upper shelves are the vehicle insurance policy, details flyers on both Good Sam programs,and the vehicle registration. I carry a fire safe on board with my documents, and there are instructions in the note in where to find the fire safe, and its key. I keep no valuables in the fire safe.

danemayer

If you'd like to put together an emergency information packet, here's a link to a set of forms and artwork. The pdf files have editable fields for you to fill in with your information. Save a copy on your computer after completing the form. Then when information changes, you can re-open the form and make changes to keep it current.

Forms include:

- Medical History including prescriptions, medical conditions, allergies, surgical history, contact info for medical providers, etc.
- Emergency contacts
- Children/pets (in case they're back at the RV and you are injured while away from the RV)
- Travel Itinerary (so someone knows where your RV is located if injured while away from the RV)
- Insurance Information

There's artwork if you want to put decals on your window so emergency responders will know to look in the glove box for your emergency info if you're unconscious.

We use the Medical History form every time we see a new Doctor or go to an emergency room. When they ask us to fill out the 6 pages of medical history, we write down, "see attached form." Never had an objection from office staff, and in the ER, have been thanked for having it all written down.

Attachments

• Emergency Info Sticker.jpg
    Emergency Info Sticker.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 9

diamondl

All my experience with Good Sam has been terrible, except the last one. Someone in the higher ranks sent us a check and paid the next years fees. When you call for help you won't likely get to talk to him. I would shop somewhere else!!!!
Diamondl