Range top pulsing

Capgains

I recently bought a 2010 Road Warrior 365 rw and am in the process of getting it ready for our first trip. While working on it one day, I ran the generator (no electrical hookup at the storage lot) opened up the propane bottles, and bled the air out of the lines to make sure there were no air bubbles buy using the range top to test before using the furnace.

When the burners ignited, I noticed that Hi isn't overly large in flame output and the burners pulse.... The flame increases and decreases with a beat. The furnace worked fine. When we left I forgot to close the bottles but cut off battery power, and returned a week and a half later th find that one bottle was empty. So it's leaking somewhere. I refilled the bottle and soap sprayed every gas pipe and line connector I could find.... Nothing. Sprayed inputs into the fridge which is off, furnace, and water heater. The only place I can't get to is the inside connection to the range. There are no markings on this range... It is really nice looking, 3 burners on a glass like surface. It is above an Apollo half time oven but I don't think Apollo made it. I can' figure out how to access it's guts to inspect it. The top appears glued to the counter top, not an easy lift up like every other model in the world.

Anyone have an an idea where I should start? Normally I would suspect the regulator and its connection but it looks brand new. I think they put a new one in when I bought it. Draining a 10 gal bottle in a week and a half should have a detectable bubble nest I would think.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You have the same stove/halftime oven/microwave that we have, also a 2010. I believe it is all supplied by Apollo. On our previous rig, our half-time oven/microwave controls went out, and they had to replace the stovetop since it is one piece with to the controls of the oven/microwave. You might be able to remove the microwave/oven and see the underside of the stove, but I am not sure. There are screws that hold the plastic surround, and once that is removed you can probably figure out how to remove the microwave/oven. I think it just sits in place and the surround holds it secure.

Garypowell

On my rig, when we had a cooktop, if I turned of gas while traveling the lines would always be empty when we arrived at our destination. Never smelled anything nor did we go through a lot of propane......I assumed there was a slow leak somewhere but could never find it.

danemayer

When we left I forgot to close the bottles but cut off battery power, and returned a week and a half later th find that one bottle was empty. So it's leaking somewhere.

Hi Capgains,

If both tanks were full and open, and you had a leak inside the trailer, and the leak consumed a full tank of propane, I'd guess you would have smelled propane when you entered the trailer. If you turned the battery cutoff ON, the propane alarm should have sounded (if it's working).

My guess is that if there's a leak, it's outside.

Maybe a Propane Sniffer will help.

ww_big_al

First it sounds like you have two different problem.

Does your hot water heater work ok? By that I mean does the burner flame run hot and steady. If it does, then you do not have a problem with your propane system. If it is only your stove pulsing you most like have plugged venturi(s). Mud daubers love the small of gas and will build nests in the gas tubes. The venturi is a metal tube downstream from your valve orifice. It is what mixes air with the propane for burning.

Take the top of your stove off and inspect each burner tube. You may have to remove 1 or 2 screws to remove the burners for inspection.

As for your tank running out of gas, it does not take much of a leak for you to smell propane. If you do not smell it then it must be leaking in a sealed area or outside were the wind is blowing it away. I would suspect your tank was empty to begin with, but maybe not.

Stick your nose into everything. In the oven, stove, hot water heater, by the gas bottles. Do it a a very clam day or park the trailer in a barn. If there is a leak you will smell it. When you smell it use a soap solution. Kids bubble soap is good. Dish soap and water will work also. You need a lots of soap in your water. Most people mix it to weak. The concentration need to be strong enough to make bubbles. I us an actual leak solution called Snoop.
I hope this helps.