Backup camera options for '13-'15 Ram 1500, 2500 & 3500?

MotoLynx27x

Hey guys.

i am purchasing a 2013 Ram 2500 diesel crew cab standard bed and am wondering about camera options? The truck comes with the Uconnect 5.0 radio and the tailgate mounted backup camera. On my current tow vehicle (04 F150) I have a RVS (Rear View Safety) system installed with two cameras. One is on the rear license plate of the truck and the other is mounted to the top rear of the travel trailer.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Coastal Electronics Technologies makes a device called the LockPick CHR558 which plugs directly into the back of the Uconnect 3.0, 5.0, 8.4a and 8.4an chrysler radios and gives you 5 independently controlled camera inputs. Two rear facing (including the factory backup cam), one left and one right side camera that can be independently controlled or can turn on when the turn signal is activated, and one forward facing cam. The module also adds DVD playback functionality as well.
This is where I found the harness kit http://oemautopartsco.com/products/...ce=googlepla&gclid=CNvfwOrz08MCFQeVfgodU34AWw

thoughts? Do I need that many cameras?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you check out the RAX Jailbreak from Customtronix.
A lot less hardware, fewer buttons to push when using it and a little less money.
I like the idea of being able to view my trailer cam right in the UConnect.

Peace
Dave

zombiejeep

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am just curious. Why would you want another camera? (I have a 2013 Ram as well) The tailgate camera works fine for me to hook up our current TT by myself. Am I missing an opportunity to try and talk the wife into getting a new toy?

happykraut

zombiejeep if you want to tie in a camera on the back of your RV to be viewed in your RAM and also add a front camera to your RAM. I'm sure Cookie will chime in and tell you all about it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bernie is right. My camera on the back of the trailer uses a stand alone monitor. I want to eliminate more junk in the cab and since the UConnect is there, I will monitor the trailer camera on it and get rid of the extra monitor.
The front cam??? Might come in handy and since it only costs a few bucks more, why not.

So, through my UConnect I will be able to monitor the trailer cam, reverse cam, cargo cam or front cam.

When I get it all installed I will post a video of the installation and a demo.

And yes, you might be missing the opportunity to smooth talk your wife into a new toy. You can never have too many toys.

Peace
Dave

zombiejeep

Oh, ok, so these are in addition to what is there already. That's what I breezed over. Thanks for the clearing up. Again, I didn't mean to sound like a smart @*! I'll be checking back for the video.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing with the Jailbreak system is the lockout feature.
It will allow your passengers to watch any video while the truck is in motion.
That can be done through Bluetooth or using a video splitter and a portable DVD player.
Overall a pretty cool system and it's mostly software, other than a wiring harness that needs to be put in line. Everything is controlled at the UConnect.

Peace
Dave

MotoLynx27x

I suggest that you check out the RAX Jailbreak from Customtronix.
A lot less hardware, fewer buttons to push when using it and a little less money.
I like the idea of being able to view my trailer cam right in the UConnect.

Peace
Dave

Dave,

when i I went to the JAX jailbreak website everything is priced in Euros. I didn't notice a way to convert the site to USD. I am interested in the JAX because of the third brake lite and emblem cam in addition to the jailbrake functions.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Jailbreak Gold with the third brake light/cam is listed as €425. converted to US at todays rate is $482.
I ordered the Silver+, at €259, or US $293. But when I ordered they only charged me €199.
All plus shipping.

Peace
Dave

zombiejeep

This is a newbish question, and sorry to the OP for the hijack, but do you have to have the NAV package to take advantage of these features?

MotoLynx27x

Well, I ended up purchasing the Coastal Electronics LockPick CHR558 AIR V2 for $289 that gives me FIVE camera inputs (Left, right, front, OEM rear and 2nd rear. Bypasses the factory lockouts and also has DVD inputs, headrest outputs, and even has built in WiFi streaming from iOS and Android so I can stream movies and music directly to all screens. Already installed it and it works brilliantly! Way more features than the Customtronix brand for half the price! Came with a remote control to run all features.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your purchase of camera/s. Our rv dealer uses a local auto/audio dealer to install cameras into the tow vehicle using the truck navigator system. We have a camera in the 3rd brake light (great for hooking up the camper) and hard wire the Landmark with a rear camera. Really like that one especially when only one of us is backing the rig up.

dieseldogsdad

What kind of harness or connection do you guys have from the trailer to the truck? Are you just using a yellow rca plug/plugs or do the make a harness and mount like the 7 pin trailer hookup. Just seems like rca's wouldn't be very weatherproof.

MotoLynx27x

What kind of harness or connection do you guys have from the trailer to the truck? Are you just using a yellow rca plug/plugs or do the make a harness and mount like the 7 pin trailer hookup. Just seems like rca's wouldn't be very weatherproof.

I used the Rear View Safety quick disconnect system between the truck and the trailer. $89 and works great!
RVS-213-4.jpg

MotoLynx27x

Looks pretty slick. Do you have to have one of these for each camera or does it support multiple cameras?

This particular cable kit only supports one cam, but RVS makes a 3 camera quick disconnect if you wish to mount up to three on your towed vehicle. Check out rearviewsafety.com

nostrokin

Another thing with the Jailbreak system is the lockout feature.
It will allow your passengers to watch any video while the truck is in motion.
That can be done through Bluetooth or using a video splitter and a portable DVD player.
Overall a pretty cool system and it's mostly software, other than a wiring harness that needs to be put in line. Everything is controlled at the UConnect.

Peace
Dave

this sounds great but can i put one of these things on my 2011 2500 ram , I don't have any camera on this truck now. my uconnect plays video dvd now, but not while driving