Bought a '13 Ram 2500HD 4x4 6.7 and need some advice on setting it up to tow!

MotoLynx27x

He guys,

Currently I have a 2004 F150 SuperCab with the 5.4 and the transmission finally gave up. It's the original one with 305k on it! Has to be some kind of record!! I've pulled it from the truck and am planning on completely rebuilding it myself with a Stage 1 Raybestos clutch kit, Sonnex Sure Fix kit to fix all factory design flaws, beefier separator plate to prevent cracking, Transgo shift kit to manually shift when desired, Kevlar OD and reverse bands, new deep aluminum pan and a new modified tailshaft housing that is plumbed with a fluid line from the 1-2 accumulator piston to keep the rear bearing lubricatedwhich is a common failure point in the 4R70- 4R75W/E. Long story short, the rebuild will give me a 600HP/Torque tough tranny that will handle anything thrown at it. I have all the parts and am hoping to start the rebuild tomorrow.

I then decided instead of putting the truck back in service as my primary tow vehicle I would search for something better suited to long hauls and something that would give me a huge jump in carrying capacity. Enter the 2013 Ram 2500HD Tradesman 6.7 ETK 385/850 4X4 CCSB 3.42 axle. Got a deal that was way too good to pass up. Only has 35k. The F150 will go back to being a DD

Anyway, the trailer as you can see from my sig is the Prowler 27LX which is about 7k loaded and 800lbs or so on the hitch. I'm going to swap over my Equal-I-zer 4 point WD hitch from the F150. I also have a set of the AirLift 5000 Ultimate bags for the Ford unused and unopened (still in the box) and was thinking of sending it back in exchange for the ram version. I'm also considering the LockPick mod kit that would give me 5 camera inputs as well as DVD capability to my Uconnect 5.0 radio.

So, are there any more mods I should consider for my truck in order to set it up for towing my camper? The Ram already has the OE built in brake controller and two-stage exhaust brake. Should I consider a TPMS kit for the camper/truck? Does anyone make a roof mount wind deflector for a truck that doesn't have a camper top/ 5th wheel? I already have a 7" Garmin GPS for Navigation so that's taken care of. Are there any engine mods I should look into?

any help setting this up will be appreciated! I'll shoot some pics when I get the truck and trailer together.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Not sure why you want air bags? Your RAM won't even know your bumper pull is back there! My NT is 6,900 and with my WD hitch, no sag and I have to keep looking in the mirror to ensure it's still there. Even on cruise control up hill it doesn't change even 1 mph...Your truck has tpms already on it...you will need a separate system for your RV...You can't add onto the truck system..good luck with your new Ram!!! I love mine and it's number 4 for me.

Jim.Allison

You have the best truck going, the first steep grade you take will make you giggle. Owning a machine that has that kind of torque is just insane. The power is sick. I tow a BC3650 with mine. You don't need the bags, but if you do get them try to get the internal jounce offered by airlift. I feel like if you have to mount airbags on the jounce pad mount, then you should also put the jounce pad back. No real reason for it except to protect the airbag from damage.

The TPMS is just downright necessary. A good one will tell you when one is significantly hotter than the others, when pressure drops rapidly, or increases rapidly. All of these are signals that you have a severe tire problem. If you have 3 tires running 90 to 95 degrees and one climbs to 110, you know that you have a tire problem. If you are still running Blowmax tires, get rid of those ASAP and invest in a good TPMS too. You should have a built in tire pressure monitor on the truck, but there is no temp. I have sensors for the truck and trailer so I can monitor the temps on the TV and the trailers temps and pressures. The monitors have TV and trailer display.

Otherwise you have selected a great rig and you will be pushing other rigs with yours. The 6.7 Cummins is hard to beat. One mod I would consider would be an AUX tank. Your range is great, but its nice to buy fuel at discounts that way you are never being held hostage in a small town. Leave home with full tanks, and fill at WalMart when you can, and you will always have the range you need to get to the next discount diesel. 32 gallons is limiting when you are dead heading, 72 would be better. -- Just my 2 cents

Jim.Allison

Needing airbags for his rig? No. Having a set that he wants to exchange for some that fits his truck? yes! Get them and install them. I think they smooth out the ride a little when unloaded.

Not sure why you want air bags? Your RAM won't even know your bumper pull is back there! My NT is 6,900 and with my WD hitch, no sag and I have to keep looking in the mirror to ensure it's still there. Even on cruise control up hill it doesn't change even 1 mph...Your truck has tpms already on it...you will need a separate system for your RV...You can't add onto the truck system..good luck with your new Ram!!! I love mine and it's number 4 for me.

MotoLynx27x

You have the best truck going, the first steep grade you take will make you giggle. Owning a machine that has that kind of torque is just insane. The power is sick. I tow a BC3650 with mine. You don't need the bags, but if you do get them try to get the internal jounce offered by airlift. I feel like if you have to mount airbags on the jounce pad mount, then you should also put the jounce pad back. No real reason for it except to protect the airbag from damage.

Yup, I have the Airlift 5000 Ultimate kit w/ the internal jounce bumpers already, and will try to swap like for like on the Ram. I've driven many 2011, 2012 and 2013 ram 2500 and 3500 SRW cummins and I've loved everyone of them. They will pull to the last!

I'm an anti-sag kinda guy, and I like to control the empty jumping around feeling when possible, so I'm hoping the bags will help a bit.

MotoLynx27x

BTW, I live just south of San Antonio. Maybe we could meet up and I could see the mods you've done first hand!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
1.- TST 507 TPMS. Peace of mind. A great tool to moniter pressure and heat.

2.- RDS Aux. Tank. Nothing big. Maybe 30-40 gallons. You can go all day and never need to fill with the trailer hooked up.

3.- Camp and Enjoy. The truck will take care of everything else.

Congrats!!!