I have a solar panel need help

Swagems

Hello everyone the question I have is I have a solar panel that I installed on my RW 418 I took it off of my last trailer and installed it with a mark pc controller .The question I have is how do I determine what size watts and who made it. I would like to add another panel or 2 . Im guessing it about 14 years old ,I had it installed on my first 5 th wheel.
so big question what panels can I mix with it
thank Rusty

Jim.Allison

I would put it in bright sunshine, measure the output in volts, then do a dead short and measure the amps with an amp meter. Once you have amps and volts you will be able to determine watts. But all that might be a waste of time, do you know where you bought the solar panel? Today's solar panels are much more efficient than panels made 14 years ago, they are cheaper too. It may be better for you to just buy a set of these very high efficiency panels, they are flexible and stick to the roof of your RV. There are others as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Unisolar-Flexible-Solar-Panel-Laminate/dp/B006EP6MCU

BTW, using unmatched solar panels decrease efficiencies, generally to the level of the older panel.

Hello everyone the question I have is I have a solar panel that I installed on my RW 418 I took it off of my last trailer and installed it with a mark pc controller .The question I have is how do I determine what size watts and who made it. I would like to add another panel or 2 . Im guessing it about 14 years old ,I had it installed on my first 5 th wheel.
so big question what panels can I mix with it
thank Rusty

Brazos

I go along with what Jim stated. If you don't know the VPM Voltage to Load rating of the old panel and it was connected in a sting of a couple of panels it could bring the other panel down to it's VPM. The VPMs need to be rated the same. One or both panels could be damaged also. The price of panels have dropped dramatically in recent years. The going price of $1 to $2 per watt is common.

In Addition: Here are the formulas for determining unknown factors.
watts=amps x volts
volts=watts/amps
amps=watts/volts

wdk450

Another factor in solar panels is that they deteriorate in power output for a given solar power input over the years. 20 years is the spec I know to where they are at about 50% of new. Newer solar panels with newer technologies have less deterioration over time. This might be another argument for a new panel.

BTW, if you come to the West Coast anytime soon, I have a 220 Watt, 5'x8' unused house-type panel and pulse width controller for sale. PM me if interested.