Mounting Items in Garage

Jae

Can you mount hooks to the garage wall for tie straps to help secure large items like motorcycles or grills? How do you locate the studs?

blong

Hi Jae
You have a few options that have read about here and tried.
1)metal Stud finder - personally used successfully to mount a tv hold on the wall of a 3950
2)call heartland to get schematic of the wall in question - Tried without as much luck, hard to read and they sent a generic diagram of the wrong wall.
3) check outside of trailer in the morning for dew lines after a cool evening, you will see the fame outline, this works and I confirmed with the stud finder too.

That being said, I am not sure how much weight you want pulling on your walls, our tv was small and light and we never travelled with it on the wall. A motorcycle tied to it might be a little heavy?

I am sure others will chime in with other creative methods too.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The wall studs are very thin aluminum and I don't think they will hold much weight or stress. You could add more "D rings" to the floor, but if your only putting them to the plywood flooring. I would put some steel plate under the plywood to spread the area of stress.

jeffdee

I agree with the previous comments. I don't believe the walls would be strong enough for lateral or even angular stresses. You might want to do a search for comments made by DocFather and others in the Garage section referencing motorcycle tie downs and restraints. When I pack a grill I just strap it down to d-rings. Never had a problem. I am always carrying the wife's golf cart with no issues using the d-rings. They are plenty strong for use with ratchet straps.