TV sound over audio system

DonHelenL

I have searched these threads for help on my lack of knowledge of audio systems. So far I have drawn a blank. I know my question probably has been addressed somewhere in the long list of Q&A's on this subject but if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

I have a 2013 BH 3010RE , which has Sony TV ( Bravia BX450) and a Sony home theater system (HBD-TZ140). Everything works great except having the TV audio go through the Home theater system( if that is possible). The DVD and FM radio come through , but not the TV programs. Any one up to speed on this system?

PS: I have a satellite system for the tv programming.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you are using a satellite receiver you might want to check the back of your receiver for either an coaxial (orange RCA type) or digital (fiber optic) audio output.
Then check the back of your home theater system for either a coaxial or digital audio input.
That is how I use my DirecTV through the home theater.

Peace
Dave

DocFather

The radio and DVD are part of the surround sound system. The TV has to be either hard-wired or wifi to the surround system. Mine came from the factory not set up properly or just not offered that way. I just got a sound bar for the TV. Was easier.

Some to think of it, my Sony surround system does not even have an HDMI input to use, only rca input port.

Last edited:

pegmikef

I think I have the exact setup except a different TV and mine works fine. I am going to go out and look and see how it is wired. I'll let you know.

On edit.

OK, like Doc said, it is hard wired. On mine there is a stereo miniplug audio out port. An adapter is used with one end having a stereo miniplug and then split into to cables with RCA Victor plugs. This is then connected to a cable with RCA Victor plugs on both ends and that is connected to the surround sound unit's audio in ports. These ports are numbered 4 in the diagram and instructions for the unit found at the following link.

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electronics/Surrnd_Snd/Sony/Sony DAVTZ140.pdf

When I use the surround system I have to mute the TV because there is a slight echo effect because of a timing difference. Hope this helps.

Jim.Allison

I dumped the 3 ohm surround sound, and installed a 500 watt Yamaha receiver system. It was a 5 channel system but I only used 3. I put a speaker on each side of the television and the center speaker in the cabinet above the television. I installed the subwoofer in the cabinet where heartland had their base speaker mounted. I left the 3 ohm Heartland speakers installed but abandoned. I added a BluRay/DVD to the system. WOW what a difference. Total bill $400.

Dennyha

I had the same problem. I took the 50" TV off of the wall, and found that the red and white RCA cables were connected to the TV's audio in, and to the Sony surround sound system's audio in. I disconnected them from the TV's audio in and connected the red and white connectors to the audio out on the TV. When I set the surround sound to "TV/cable" and play the TV, I still do not get sound from the TV to play through the surround system. The surround system will only play if I play the radio or a DVD in the Sony surround sound system. I don't know what else to try to get the TV's sound to play through the surround sound.

danemayer

I had the same problem. I took the 50" TV off of the wall, and found that the red and white RCA cables were connected to the TV's audio in, and to the Sony surround sound system's audio in. I disconnected them from the TV's audio in and connected the red and white connectors to the audio out on the TV. When I set the surround sound to "TV/cable" and play the TV, I still do not get sound from the TV to play through the surround system. The surround system will only play if I play the radio or a DVD in the Sony surround sound system. I don't know what else to try to get the TV's sound to play through the surround sound.

Are you watching over the air TV or is the source something connected to the TV via HDMI? Some TVs have digital copyright protection that cuts off audio outputs when watching something like a satellite receiver connected via HDMI.

avvidclif

I just fought that battle this afternoon. Go into the tv setup menu under video. Turn off CEC (don't ask me why). Then turn off the tv speakers and set the audio out to fixed level. It will then work but you won't be happy. You will have abt 1/3 the volume of the tv by itself on it's own speakers. I plan on replacing the cheap Sony with a real A/V receiver and doing it right.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I had to hook my TV up to our Genesis sound system myself. I pulled the sound system and then ran audio cables up into the cabinet in back. Audio out from the TV plugged into the Aux 2 inputs on the Genesis. When watching TV the sound is automatically switched to the surround system when the Genesis is turned on and set to Aux 2 input.

Dennyha

Are you watching over the air TV or is the source something connected to the TV via HDMI? Some TVs have digital copyright protection that cuts off audio outputs when watching something like a satellite receiver connected via HDMI.
I was watching over-the-air.
Avvidclif, I will try your suggestions today. It sounds like replacing the receiver is the way to go, but do I have to replace speakers then too?

avvidclif

I was watching over-the-air.
Avvidclif, I will try your suggestions today. It sounds like replacing the receiver is the way to go, but do I have to replace speakers then too?

When I figure out the A/V receiver and where to put it I'll try the factory speakers. They seem to be OK but the amp is a little light in power. Replacing them won't be a big deal as the wires are run and that's the hardest part in an RV.

brianharrison

I have found the HDMI connection between TV and Surround system to be the best bet for my installations. The HDMI appears to be "smart" and when TV is set up in preferences to use external audio, it automagically powers up and powers down the surround system when TV is turned on/off.

When I simply used the digital audio output on the satellite receiver or TV, I had to manually power on/off the surround system.

I have Sony Bravia TV and Samsung surround, circa early model 2011.

My comments.
Brian

Dennyha

Well, I tried Avvidclif's recommendations, and it did enable the TV to output audio to the Sony surround sound successfully. But, as he also advised, the volume was unacceptable. I went to Best Buy this afternoon, looking for another surround sound receiver. I left with a Sony soundbar. I will be able to input the Blu-Ray and Dish receiver to the soundbar with HDMI, and output the video to the TV with HDMI. I also can connect the red/white RCA Audio Out to the soundbar. The sound at Best Buy was great, so I'm hoping that inside my 3010, it should be as well.

Last edited:

TxCowboy

I've owned a Heartland FW for over three years and these stories just never end. Whomever came up with the audio/video pairing for these units was an idiot.

Even forgetting about the pervasive wireless technology, hardwiring audio and video systems to play together is the simplest thing on the planet -- unless the systems are incompatible with each other which, it seems, is the Heartland way of designing their RV entertainment systems.

Like many of you, I'll be shelling out a few hundred bucks soon to replace the audio system with something that works and actually compliments what is otherwise a very nice line of upscale RVs.

avvidclif

I've owned a Heartland FW for over three years and these stories just never end. Whomever came up with the audio/video pairing for these units was an idiot.

Even forgetting about the pervasive wireless technology, hardwiring audio and video systems to play together is the simplest thing on the planet -- unless the systems are incompatible with each other which, it seems, is the Heartland way of designing their RV entertainment systems.

Like many of you, I'll be shelling out a few hundred bucks soon to replace the audio system with something that works and actually compliments what is otherwise a very nice line of upscale RVs.

Sure is a bunch of idiots out there. My Crossroads was the same deal. I think they have 1 design engineer for the entire industry and he's still watching a TV with a 12" round B & W picture tube at home, mounted on top so it can swivel. (For the kiddos out there that TV is circa early 50's late 40's). That's as far as he has progressed. Don't see any need for more.

DocFather

Sure is a bunch of idiots out there. My Crossroads was the same deal. I think they have 1 design engineer for the entire industry and he's still watching a TV with a 12" round B & W picture tube at home, mounted on top so it can swivel. (For the kiddos out there that TV is circa early 50's late 40's). That's as far as he has progressed. Don't see any need for more.

NICE!

images