Cabinet Doors Expansion

5erWonk

I think this has been discussed previously but I can't find it....Our '08 BH 3055 is just now a year old, suddenly our double cabinet doors with no space have become so tight both open even when you open one. To close you need to bring them together at the same time.

I can plain them fairly easily but I'm surprised this has happened, usually wood will shrink.

I wonder if during the winter and minimal use if moisture built up in the unit and caused the doors to swell.

Any ideas?

jpmorgan37

Bob;

You hit the nail on the head. High humidity will cause them to swell. If you had it closed up for a period of time, you will have moisture in the air build up just from temperature drop and condensation. This will do the same thing. Use if for a week or two, and especially if you run the A/C and you will see them come back to normal.

John

Mels Musty Music

Bob - Same thing happened to me. Went to pack up for our trip south in mid January and every double door had no space between them. Thought about planing but didn't want to go to that extreme so I inserted some plastic material I had (less than an eigth of an inch thick) bewteen the doors in line with the hinges and closed and opened the doors a couple of times. Seemed to reform the hinges just enough so the doors worked almost like normal again.
Probably wasn't necessary to do because after less than two weeks on the road they were back to normal. I think your assessment of mimimal use and moisture is exactly the cause. Had some pretty cold nights in CA and AZ and the furnace, fireplace and electric heater ran alot and probably dried things out.
Hope this helps.
Hank

jbeletti

Bob,

Same here as everyone else. When I open up my unit each spring, the table is stuck. That is, I cannot lift the top up to access the in-table storage until some of the humidity is out of the unit.

You'll be fine.