How much can my controller handle?

dcwettstein

First, I can't say thank you enough for all the info I have received through this forum. Now I have another question. I have installed a Morningstar TS-45 TriStar 45 Amp Charge controller in my fifth wheel. Uni-Solar PVL-136 PowerBond PVL 136 Watt 24 Volt panels on the roof. These panels actually put out 47 Volts in full sun. I have not fully tried out the system but I noticed the panels have decreased in price considerably and was thinking of adding one more panel. Would my TS-45 controller handle it. I now have 544 watts on the roof and this would increase it to 680. I will be getting four 6 V trojan T125 hooked up for a 12 V system. Would the addition be worth it and can it be done with my controller?

branson4020

Icantre Member
You can add as many panels as you like as long as the input voltage to your charge controller does not exceed the manufacturer's spec. Your charge controller will simply use as much of the available panel capacity as it can.

Jim.Allison

You can go as high as 3000 watts or 125v of PV array. In your case you are parallelling 4 and want to add a 5th, you would be at 24v and 680 watts. That is plenty of power for the charger to charge the system you describe. You will be able to equalize as well. No worries.

First, I can't say thank you enough for all the info I have received through this forum. Now I have another question. I have installed a Morningstar TS-45 TriStar 45 Amp Charge controller in my fifth wheel. Uni-Solar PVL-136 PowerBond PVL 136 Watt 24 Volt panels on the roof. These panels actually put out 47 Volts in full sun. I have not fully tried out the system but I noticed the panels have decreased in price considerably and was thinking of adding one more panel. Would my TS-45 controller handle it. I now have 544 watts on the roof and this would increase it to 680. I will be getting four 6 V trojan T125 hooked up for a 12 V system. Would the addition be worth it and can it be done with my controller?