RV Awning Clamp

DaleR

A clamp to keep it from unfurling while traveling or strong winds. CW has one on the internet, states it's easy to install. I don't want to be drilling a lot of holes on the side of the trailer.

Has anybody put one of these on?
How is it attached? :confused:

Thanks for the information.
Packer

jpmorgan37

Hello Packer

Check out this thread. There is a lot of information on different set-ups for securing the awning Here

John

geeksrus

I use 2x RV Awning Clamps from CW, as my awning is > 16ft.
Easy to install. Yes, you have to drill holes into the walls!
Also, I got great customer service from the manufacturer regarding missing pieces in one of the kits.

EH

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Walmart sells a sewer hose clamp that works like a charm. It's basically a black plastic thingy like a cable tie that is held together with a large threaded hand nut. This can be placed around the folded up front awning arm near the top and it will prevent it from opening. Less than $3.00 and no holes. If you like, I'll take and post a picture.

JER-1

Picture

Would like to see that might use one on mine ,leaving in the morn so think I'll just take a big plastic tie ,I'll just cut it off when I get there but would like to see yours will do that later.
JER-1

jammaw08

We have one of the clamps for the awning. CW installed it for us. The awning is very secure when using it.

theharveys

Before I had the electric awning, I always just used a short loop and ball bungee cord on each awning arm.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I think that there are two different problems being addressed here which is confusing the issue.

1. The awning arms.

2. The awning itself billowing out without the arms moving.

Thus, two different problems need two different solutions - unless the solution for #2 would also take care of #1.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Pictures of clamp options

Here are a couple of pictures. One is a velcro wrap which works fine. The other is the sewer hose clamp from Wal-Mart. I've used both and the velcro is easier and faster to put on and remove.

Attachments

• Velcro Wrap.jpg
    Velcro Wrap.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Sewer Clamp.jpg
    Sewer Clamp.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Clamp in use.jpg
    Clamp in use.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 51

HappyKayakers

I've read a lot of posts over on rv.net that say just securing the arms will NOT keep the awning from unfurling if the little locking mechanism in the roller tube breaks.

Fishingicon

Awning Probem

We picked up our new 3055 on 25 April 08 and drove it 90 miles to our home and parked it. Then on May 9th we took off for our first excursion. After about 90 miles of freeway, and heavy winds, we got off the freeway at the little town of Walsenburg CO. About a mile or so into town, going about 25 or 30 mph on the town road/street our awning flopped open and ripped off the coach - before I could get pulled over and stopped. Fortunately it didn't hit any signs, trees or cars along the street. The cannister was badly damaged because it hit the street, the lower front mounting bracket was badly torqued and the rod ripped out of it as well as some of the other rods were bent. The awning had a few tears in it.
We are having it replaced but I too am a bit suprised that they do not have a better locking mechinism.
I'm in discussions now with the CW service folk about options for the "new" awning since we drive in CO, WY and MT where we can expect wind.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Awing Saver..

I have read a lot of forum posts about securing the awning, and have purchased the Awning Saver. http://www.awningsaver.com/ It does not take any drilling to mount and uses the Awning rod to unlock and lock it.

I talked to Mark Ebeling and emailed, mark.ebeling@itbasicsonline.com and he is very accommodating. It is my understanding that he manufactures and ships them himself. I have a number of friends that use his product.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Awning Saver Installed...

I received and installed the Awning Saver I mentioned above. Another interesting thing is that Mark sent me an email asking me to confirm the receipt of the order. I did receive it on time and as he told me it would be sent.

Here are some pictures of the Awning Saver before, during and after I installed it.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

I had two minor hindrances. To place the part around the awing end was a little difficult. I did the installation by my self and it took quite a lot of effort to compress the ring to get the bolt started. I have arthritis in my hands and it was difficult to compress the ring. That is my fault not a problem with the part.

The other concern was where the bracket is located on the main arm. There is a plastic release on the main arm for the extended brace. I had to adjust the bracket a little to one side to allow the ability to open the plastic clip to release the support rod. Otherwise the Awning Saver is easy to do. No drilling and such. Just a small adjustable wrench and an allen wrench. If I had not had arthritis it would have been easy and taken a lot less time.

I am satisfied with the product and would purchase it again.
FWIW