2015 Big Country - No More Desks

Bohemian

There will be no more desks in the Big Country models. The desks and their storage have been removed. They have been replaced by a blank panel with no storage and the radio/stereo mounted with a pair of speakers.

No desk option according to Heartland.

No desk. Lost storage.

It makes no sense to me. This competitive differentiation is lost. Now Big Country is one step closer to the competitors generic models. All for nothing.

All without consulting customers here on this forum.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Almost all of the Big Country models lost their desk area starting with the 2012 models (manufactured in 2011). They instead added the pull out shelf which they call the desk work area. I use my for working puzzles.

J

Joel.Eberlein

In the fall the change was made to eliminate the desk in allBig Country Floor plans.
Current consumer trends show more people areusing tablets in place of laptop computers. When work/writing is done many RV's are using the dinette. The dinette table provides more workspace and is not positioned directly in front of TV. In addition, the new audio system was moved into the lower entertainment area. This location provide clearer, more direct sound in the living area.

Heartland is always appreciative of our owners and the comments on product shared here on the forum or at various rallys and RV shows.

Kind Regards.

Joel Eberlein - General Manager Big Country

Bohemian

I want the fireplace, the desk, and the storage in the desk. It should at least be an option on a custom build.

I am sure there are more people out there who have the same needs and expectations.

It's sad to see no accommodation to customers, especially for something they already have the facility to build and install.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Best design they had for a desk was the original BH3670. Room for my laptop, printer, and a 22lb. furball editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

I want the fireplace, the desk, and the storage in the desk. It should at least be an option on a custom build.

I am sure there are more people out there who have the same needs and expectations.

It's sad to see no accommodation to customers, especially for something they already have the facility to build and install.

Sorry that we aren't building a Heartland that is configured to suit your needs. Heartland is not a custom builder and won't be able to accommodate a custom build request.

I feel you have a couple of options here:
1. Purchase the Heartland (Bighorn?) that has the most of what you need and hire the dealer or carpenter/cabinet maker to make you a custom desk area
2. Look outside the Heartland brands at offerings from other manufacturers. We want your business but your happiness is even more important.

Wishing you all the best in your quest for the RV that's just right for you.

donr827

One of the reason we purchased our BH 3055RL was for the desk. That is where my wife puts on her makeup. Desk was mandatory to keep her happy.
Don

Bohemian

It's clear that people value having a desk. Yes, we are aware that BH still has desks (for now). That is not what we wanted for many reasons. Yes, this puts what we are goi9ng to buy up in the air again. A reevaluation.

It's sad to see a company take away one of their competitive advantages.

We will be considering a BH, other brands, and we will still consider the BC we had previous chosen.

Yes, we all understand that Heartland is not a custom builder. However, options are not custom builds. Decisions that have been made can be unmade.

What I hear is that Heartland will not consider unmaking their decision. So be it.

Pizzadigger

Bohemian, We have a 2014 BC 3650RL with the desk. The desk and storage was a nice feature when we looked at this rig. We are living in this thing full time and have never used the desk. we use the dining table. The other great features of this floorplan would more than make up for the lack of a desk. Lots of counter space and that large linen closet in the bath just to name two... We love our Big Country.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Best design they had for a desk was the original BH3670. Room for my laptop, printer, and a 22lb. furball editor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! (similar in the ElkRidge 34QSRL, which has been discontinued this year. (We have a "Classic" ER now.)

Since I work "wherever" I WILL need a desk in my next rig. and one that isn't in front of the TV, isn't where we eat, and is bigger than a postage stamp. I like the Bighorn front bath with the half-bath as an office.

Bohemian

Bohemian, We have a 2014 BC 3650RL with the desk. The desk and storage was a nice feature when we looked at this rig. We are living in this thing full time and have never used the desk. we use the dining table. The other great features of this floorplan would more than make up for the lack of a desk. Lots of counter space and that large linen closet in the bath just to name two... We love our Big Country.

Yes, I know. It's a fantastic floor plan. With the desk ideal for us. There are close BH floor plans, but no where near as nice for us. We would definitely use the desk and the TV would be a monitor. We could play content from the web. To us it's just a short sighted loss. Now there is just a big empty space where the desk once was. It's probably just cost savings. Oh well/

Jim.Allison

Ditto X2

Bohemian

Also, there is a real need for two people to do work at the same time. The dining table will just not suffice. There was a solution. Now it's taken away. For nothing.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with John, we got the best of all worlds with our 2011 BH3670. Fireplace, desk, eye level TV, big kitchen, mega bath, tons of storage.

Why not look for a lightly used previous year model, with all the options you want? I know they are out there.

I think the new trend appears to be toward more open, spacious looking floor plans. JMHO Trace

jo9463

Almost all of the Big Country models lost their desk area starting with the 2012 models (manufactured in 2011). They instead added the pull out shelf which they call the desk work area. I use my for working puzzles.

When we bought out BC, we knew we wouldn't use the desk. We have the pull out shelf in front of the tv. I don't use the shelf, but I love the storage under the shelf. It holds all our "desk junk" (pens, staplers, etc.). Gonna hate loosing that storage when we do upgrade.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is what the original desk design was in the 3670, not the cubby hole they replaced it with before discontinuing the floor plan. The TV is above the desk and we have the cabinet, not the fireplace, under the desk.

Geodude

I don't even know if our new Bighorn 3585 comes with a desk. I was never keen on the idea of the typical desk under the television because it seemed to be in a spot that wouldn't work for us anyway -- why put these desks in front of the television, blocking it? Obvious flaw there. In our case, we use laptops on, well, our laps. If we need extra work space, the dinette plays the role of desk quite nicely.