Installing EMS

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
EMC installation question.....I picked up a progressive emc. Instructions state to cut the shore power cord and hook the emc using the two connections. I am thinking about disconnecting the shore power cord at the inverter box and then adding a second wire from the emc back to the inverter. The reason is so I can remove this should I upgrade RV's and not have a patched shore cord when I sell it. Anyone know if this is complicated, I am handy but never peeked inside an inverter before.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: AZ Members Chat Room

Put it between where your shore power comes in and your panel. Or do like I did and get a portable unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Andy....my question was how difficult is it to remove the original power cord from the inverter vs cutting it into? That way I am able to remove the emc later and re install the original power cord to the the inverter without having a splice in it....I just have never been inside a inverter box and not sure how difficult it is inside???

jassson007

Andy....my question was how difficult is it to remove the original power cord from the inverter vs cutting it into? That way I am able to remove the emc later and re install the original power cord to the the inverter without having a splice in it....I just have never been inside a inverter box and not sure how difficult it is inside???

I understand that. Your post made it sound like you were cutting the power cord going into the trailer. I have the portable so I did not have to do anything like that and it is easier to move from coach to coach when I upgrade.

danemayer

The power cord connection usually runs directly to the circuit breaker panel. Not sure what you're talking about with respect to the inverter.

Doublegranch

Lack of knowledge...how easy is it to remove the power cord from the circuit breaker panel???? I just don't want to cut the power cord into like the instructions state for installing the EMC....Thanks

danemayer

I think some people have installed the hardwired EMS with plugs. They plug the EMS inline, and later can remove it and connect the plugs to restore power, taking the EMS with them. I haven't done it, but it might not be too hard to remove the wires from the back of the breaker panel and add a new length of wire, plus connectors.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You are on the right track as far as planning to move it in the future.
You will need to disconnect 4 wires from the breaker service panel. Two hot, one neutral and one ground.
You will want to connect those to the proper spot on the "in" side of your EMS.
You will need to have a length of the proper cable, then connect one end of it to the "out" side of the EMS and the other end to the breaker panel.
Be absolutely certain that all of the screws at the connection points are tight.

Oh, I moved your post to a better area.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Another suggestion. Buy 2 male and female connectors. Wire a length of wire (18" or so) to the breaker panel and put a connector on the other end. Put a different connector on the main cable. Then put the corresponding connectors on the EMS. You can then plug it in, and if it goes bad you can disconnect it and plug the main cable into the other connector without having to rewire it all on the inside.

I have a portable Progressive EMS that I purchased in October 2014. When I arrived in Kerrville it had a problem. It showed 255V on L1 and 122 on L2 and would not allow a connection. Kevin Wolbeck was helping me back in as it was dark when I arrived. We checked it out on other pedestals and had the same reading. I tested the power with an Volt/ohm meter and the power pedestal was good. I called Progressive and they knew what the problem was and told me to send it back and they would repair it for free and return it to me. I will be receiving it on Thursday.

Using the suggested connectors will allow you to easily replace the EMS easily. This is not a knock on Progressive. I have used both the Surgeguard and Progressive and still prefer the Progressive.

FWIW
BC

Doublegranch

BC...
That thought occurred to me, but I felt I was over thinking it. You make an excellent point, should the EMS go out...I think that is what I will do...Thank you!!! Is the power cord on my 30 amp service 6 gauge??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, sorry. I just now see that you have 30 amp.
Disregard what I said about the four wires.
You have three. One hot, one neutral and one ground.

I like BC's idea.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Another suggestion. Buy 2 male and female connectors. Wire a length of wire (18" or so) to the breaker panel and put a connector on the other end. Put a different connector on the main cable. Then put the corresponding connectors on the EMS. You can then plug it in, and if it goes bad you can disconnect it and plug the main cable into the other connector without having to rewire it all on the inside.

I have a portable Progressive EMS that I purchased in October 2014. When I arrived in Kerrville it had a problem. It showed 255V on L1 and 122 on L2 and would not allow a connection. Kevin Wolbeck was helping me back in as it was dark when I arrived. We checked it out on other pedestals and had the same reading. I tested the power with an Volt/ohm meter and the power pedestal was good. I called Progressive and they knew what the problem was and told me to send it back and they would repair it for free and return it to me. I will be receiving it on Thursday.

Using the suggested connectors will allow you to easily replace the EMS easily. This is not a knock on Progressive. I have used both the Surgeguard and Progressive and still prefer the Progressive.

FWIW
BC

I had the 255 volt reading problem last summer, but was able to slide the bypass switch on the remote readout to allow power through the main EMS relay. I had Progresssive send me an exchange circuit board, I swapped out the board, and the EMS was back in business. (I noted that a couple of components were burned out at the bottom of the bad PC board). (on edit - I was connected to a 120 volt, 30 amp, single phase, RV park service - there COULDN'T be 255 volts present. 255 is a possible trouble indication number in the digital electronics world - It is 2 to the 8th power, the largest number a binary digital 8 bit device can calculate/display).

I had the "generator prep" option installed on my trailer, so I have a transfer switch on the floor of my utility space, with the shore power feed coming in to this relay and the selected power (shore or generator) going out to the AC breaker box. I removed the identified shore power cable from the transfer relay, wired the shore power into my new EMS box, and added a cable from the EMS output to where the shore power WAS connected in the transfer relay.

I have a question about the external, pedistal-mounted EMS box: Does it have an internal power relay to cut the power like the HW-50C?

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

I dont know if this will help or not, its difficult to keep up with the thread.

I installed my permanent EMS on the shorepower side of the transfer switch. Shorepower to EMS to transfer switch. I considered the scenario that the EMS might fail, so I left enough slack so that If I removed the EMS the shore power input lead can be easily routed directly into the transfer switch. My EMS only monitors the shore power. Generator power and inverter are excluded.

I hope this helps.

BTW, I put the display right inside the basement on the pedestal side so that I can reference it as soon as I hook up.

jassson007

wdk450; said:
I have a question about the external, pedistal-mounted EMS box: Does it have an internal power relay to cut the power like the HW-50C?

yes. If there is a problem it will cut the power.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Garry... Just connect it per directions. It will be a good selling point when you sell your trailer if you ever do. If you do, you will probably move up to a trailer that is 50 amp anyway and the emc won't work. When you buy a new Bighorn then buy a new 50 amp emc.... So easy for me to spend your money!!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Bill it will cut the power if there is a problem. I don't think there I a way to bypass the system if it fails. I fortunately had my old Surgeguard which I am using now until my EMS comes in on Thursday.

BC

jassson007

Bill it will cut the power if there is a problem. I don't think there I a way to bypass the system if it fails. I fortunately had my old Surgeguard which I am using now until my EMS comes in on Thursday.

BC

Bobcat you would bypass it by unplugging it from pedestal and plugging your cord back in.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

We have used a portable 30 amp EMS for several years. Now have the portable 50 amp EMS. A "No Brainer" to install.

Doublegranch

Garry... Just connect it per directions. It will be a good selling point when you sell your trailer if you ever do. If you do, you will probably move up to a trailer that is 50 amp anyway and the emc won't work. When you buy a new Bighorn then buy a new 50 amp emc.... So easy for me to spend your money!!!

[Bret,,,Now I know why I don't have a wife....hey I have you! Thanks....]

jassson007

[Bret,,,Now I know why I don't have a wife....hey I have you! Thanks....]

Now that was funny. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk