Tale of woe and warranty responses.

OldTanker

I have a 2014 3875 FB That we have been fulltiming in for just about 13 months. Overall we are very very pleased with the rig especially compared to our "custom ordered" mobile suites we had before which was a rolling disaster from day one.

During the first year we had a few minor issues come up. Some interior trim seperated from the walls, the main grey tank valve stopped sealing 3 months in and the plastic wheel covers cracked at the mounting points necessitating the use of duct tape to prevent one from coming off entirely. The issue is a factory problem as the lower skirting under the slides does not have one single brace to stop the skirt from flexing in the wind. That thin sheetmetal has absolutely no support along the length of the trim other than at the ends. Does no one at the factory expect these units to move once they are sold? Unsecured flexing cannot happen without fatigue and failure of the materials. Simple rod bracing at a couple points would totally alleviate the issue. As it is a gentle breeze causes the trim panel to flex even when parked.

Since we were multiple thousands of miles from the selling dealer and visiting another dealer resulted in a less than prompt date to "look" at the valve (we can't see you for 3 months because you didn't buy here), we kept on going until we got back to the start point of our travels. In the mean time I also managed to crease the lower side panel on the passenger side thanks to a very tight RV park.

Our selling dealer service advisor got info over the phone prior to my appointment for service so that the parts (fender covers and side panel) could be ordered. Here is where Heartland fell on it's face..... repeatedly.

The dealer didn't have a grey valve in stock. Why that should be a special order part I have no idea as they are pretty much a common item in the "industry". Nothing fancy about it, just a cable operated grey valve. That was on the dealer.

The fender covers had arrived but there was an issue. Only one was the correct fender cover. The door side cover was too large. The fender skirt had not been mounted because the selling dealer "ran out of time" after the day we spent in the service area. All that got accomplished was a TV cable repair (the thing came undone in the underskrt area) and the interior trim was restuck back on the wall.

Second appointment 2 weeks later, now a total of 5 weeks after the innital contact. The fender cover that was reordered ahd arrived and once again it was the wrong one. The reorder had been made with pictures of the old one, measurements and the person at the Heartland main parts supply had promised they would get it right. The side panel still had not been mounted as they service folks again "ran out of time" before the close of the day. Another full day spent waiting for repairs. At least the valve got replaced.

Third apointment another 2.5 weeks later and on a rush special get here fast as we made time for you basis. At least one of the weeks was my fault as the tow vehicle service / repairs I had delayed because of the trailer HAD to be done in that time period. We got the rig into the dealer and they got in it the bay right away, this time. The fender cover was taken out of the shipping container to mount up and now..... it's too small. Again the parts department sent the wrong fender cover after more pictures, measurements and vin numbers had been sent. The other body trim panel was removed from it's container to be mounted. Even though pictures, color descriptions and part number information had been sent in, it was the wrong panel. The size was right but the color and texture were wrong. Instead to the pebble surface brown color Heartland sent us a battleship grey smooth painted panel. By now the service advisor is beyond apoplexy as am I. Out of 4 parts ordered one repeatedly ordered we cannot seem to get the right parts delivered. The dealer, with my permission, is going to paint the panel. It won't match perfectly but I am beyond caring about it. I'm not going to wait another 3 weeks for it to be delivered and since it will only be the second time it was ordered in almost certainty to be wrong. The fender cap has been ordered AGAIN. Now I have to wait for it to arrive and then we will have to wait another entire day for it to be mounted and the body trim to be painted.

I am hoping that the next visit to the dealer will get the last of the work done and we can get on our way. We are on a bit of a schedule as we have a commitment over 1400 miles away in April.

Having been in the Army I understand that at times parts can get to be a bit of a pain but this has passed beyond credulity. If I were in the "chain of command" there I would have had someone by the "stack and swivel" to get things squared away. I'm fervently hoping that the 4th order of the fender cap will provide the proper part without me having to visit the factory in person over a piece of plastic.:mad:

If I do have to visit the factory over this I'm likely to be leaving footprints jumping up and down on top of someone's desk.

'Lil Guy'

I can feel our pain. Hope you receive the right part this time. I'm sure someone will chime in and say you could have done something differently but this is amazing.

DocFather

I can feel our pain. Hope you receive the right part this time. I'm sure someone will chime in and say you could have done something differently but this is amazing.

Exactly. It seems that Heartland always gets "protection" and never does wrong. It falls upon us, the losers in all this, way too often. What happened to freedom of speech?

JanAndBill

This brought back memories. One of our cabinet doors cracked. Dealer ordered a replacement no less then 4 times, and still couldn't get it right. Despite all the information and pictures being sent. We're not talking minor differences here. Finally gave up and fixed the door myself.

Grey Ghost

OH I FEEL YOUR PAIN.....I used to sing Heartland praises for I thought they were a step above the rest until my last issue. It was a very poor workmanship issue. In fact the insurance adjuster and repair shop said my unit must have been completed on the Thursday before a long weekend. My rear end cap and only two (short screws) on the left side and only three on the right side, of which one was broken. They said I could have been going down the road and lost my entire rear end cap for sure. Called Heartland, but found they are no better than any of the others. NOT their PROBLEM that there weren't enough of and the wrong screws used, it must have my lack of maintenance that caused the problem. Guess I should have been standing there when that worker got in a hurry and didn't do his job right. Great american way, right? Now Thor is buying everyone up it will be a difficult decision as to my next RV purchase. Good luck with working with Heartland!!

OldTanker

Time to put in an addition to the thread. The parts issues have been rectified. Shortly after the original post was made I got contacted by Heartland. The individual, Matt, took over the issue and got it straightened out in a remarkably fast manner, THANK YOU!!!!

The issue is one of a parts database that is not fully up to date for dealers to order from online. It is suggested to anyone that has a similar problem that you contact the factory and get personally involved. Have the last 6 of your VIN handy and be polite. Those folks are trying but it is a tough job.

I wish I could say that that this was the last issue for us and our rig but unfortunately when we got home from the dealer we found that one of the shower doors had shattered.I did contact the factory and they got a replacement sent out to the dealer. I hope that we can get it replaced soon as we are due to head North in just a few days.