Wifi

RichnVinny

I have local cable installed with wifi but there is something killing my wifi signal is there a wiring diagram and what could be causing the signal to go bad on only the wifi

danemayer

Can you expand on this a bit. I don't know why a wiring diagram would come into play with a WiFi problem.

If you have a cable TV set top box, and a cable TV internet modem box, usually you have to use a splitter to feed signal to both boxes from your cable/antenna wall connection. If you have the TV side working, you should be getting signal to the internet modem. The lights on the modem usually indicate whether you have a signal getting into the modem.

RichnVinny

Ok Comcast my provider (not by choice) can't get a strong signal for wifi in the RV they feel the interval wiring has a splitter somewhere that is causing the Internet speed to drop, the cable is ok but for some readonly when they run the wifi modem they signal outside is at 100% but once the cable is attached to RV in CDS the signal is cut to less than 50%, not sure what could be causing this

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Is your over the air antenna signal booster turned off?
There most likely could be a splitter in line and the best solution may be to put a good spitter behind the wall of the UDC and mount your modem/router in the basement.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Ok Comcast my provider (not by choice) can't get a strong signal for wifi in the RV they feel the interval wiring has a splitter somewhere that is causing the Internet speed to drop, the cable is ok but for some readonly when they run the wifi modem they signal outside is at 100% but once the cable is attached to RV in CDS the signal is cut to less than 50%, not sure what could be causing this

How is the modem connected to your coach wiring? Is the modem connected to the same coax connection as the TV set top box?
I would think if you are connected at the same place, the set top box would also be getting 50% and you'd have a problem with the TV. That makes me wonder if you have them in different locations.

jbeletti

RichnVinny,

Please advise as to the following:

1. How is the Comcast cable connected to your RV? Is it connected to the Cable TV port in the UDC
2. Did Comcast or you do any rewiring of the coaxial cable system in the coach?
3. Physically, where is the cable modem in your coach?
4. When you say 50%, are you speaking of received WiFi signal strength on your laptop?

If the Comcast cable is connected to your RV via the Cable TV port in the UDC, this is going to be an issue for Internet as that cable line goes directly to the back of the TV Antenna wall-plate (usually in the bedroom). The plate with the little push-button switch and red light. The trouble here is that the the pass-band of this plate may not be spec'd for return path for the Internet signal. The return path is often in the 30-50 Mhz sub-band (below channel 2). The antenna wall-plates are not likely built to pass frequencies below channel 2.

This all said, it may have nothing to do with the WiFi signal strength you see on your laptop from your Cable modem. Your received WiFi signal strength is "usually" a function of:
1. WiFi transmist power at the wireless access point (likely your cable modem if it has an access point built in)
2. Distance from the access point to your laptop
3. Obstacles/obstructions between the access point and your laptop (trees, walls, metal etc.)

IF your laptop is inside your coach and your access point (Comcast device) is also inside your coach, your received WiFi signal strength should be crazy strong.

If you're only using Cable Modem service from Comcast, I suggest you wire it directly and not go through your coach wiring. The coach's Cable TV wiring was designed for the Television signals from the Cable System and not the Internet signals coming in over the same cable. Not saying it wont work but it could be less than ideal.

JanAndBill

Not sure which trailer you have, but our BH has a coax feed in the UDC for satellite, that goes straight to the coach. Might try connecting cable to this feed and see if it works then. Or if you want to eliminate the coach entirely, just run a coax out the window, then back track from there.

danemayer

The Comcast internet modems I've used have ethernet connectors as well as WiFi. Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the modem to see what kind of internet connection you get with hardwired ethernet, rather than WiFi. This will help diagnose the problem.

The wireless performance can be affected by lots of things other than the wiring to the modem. So find out if the modem is getting a good signal by connecting the computer via ethernet cable.

DocFather

The Comcast internet modems I've used have ethernet connectors as well as WiFi. Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the modem to see what kind of internet connection you get with hardwired ethernet, rather than WiFi. This will help diagnose the problem.

The wireless performance can be affected by lots of things other than the wiring to the modem. So find out if the modem is getting a good signal by connecting the computer via ethernet cable.

Dan, this is the most logical diagnostic suggestion. Thanks. The title of this thread is "WiFi" but ya need to know if it is a cable signal issue or not. Dan's suggestion is the way to start. The Modem needs to be on the first splitter. Someone suggested right behind the UDC. That is an awkward place to keep it, especially when it needs to be rebooted. But you can run a cable from the splitter to a more desirable location. Once it is determined that the incoming signal strength is up to par then the WiFI issue can be diagnosed if necessary.

When I am home, my WIFI signal comes from inside my home, 200 feet from my RV and I have no degredation of Wireless signal either. In fact, my download speeds are almost 40mbps. The cable installer should never have left without resolving the issue.