Looking at a "new" leftover 2013 Elkridge Express E30

Sinecure

Hello Heartland Owners! I am going look at a 2013 Elkridge Express Plus E30 today, which a local dealer has "new" on the lot. I am hoping a few people chime in and give me a crash course on the Elkridge line of 5ers, such as their reputation, quality, what the "express" line represents (is it a cheaper version?), etc. I have gone through pages and pages of posts about the Elkridge on this site, and as with any brand, I've found some people that love their campers and others that feel they got a lemon.

I have owned 3 different campers (bumper pulls and fifth wheels) and currently have a Voltage toy hauler, so I'm not new to camping. We're just looking to downsize. Thanks in advance for all replies.

danemayer

Hi Sinecure,

The Heartland website shows the Elkridge as a Full-Profile RV, with higher ceilings, but it's priced toward the low-end of the Full-Profile offerings. Usually, all floorplans of any given model will be built on the same manufacturing line, so in general, the quality will be about the same. Naturally when you take weight out, some of the materials may be a bit different, and some features may be a little different. As with most RVs, the design point is based on light to medium usage. It's not considered a full-time trailer and using it that way may result in more wear and tear sooner than you'd like.

There are a couple of things that you should discuss with the dealer - having to do with it being on the dealer lot for a couple of years.

I'd suggest you have them re-caulk around the roof, and around the lights along the roof line. Caulking is supposed to be checked several times per year and maintained as necessary. I doubt there's any dealer who does that on their inventory.

I'd also suggest that you have them re-pack the bearings. Sitting in the same place for a couple of years is probably not good for the grease that was there from the manufacturer. They may want to pump grease into the EZ Lube zerks, but I'd suggest you insist on a hand repack, and be there to see it done. A lot of people have concerns that using the zerks incorrectly can blow a seal, resulting in bearing and brake problems.

Check the tires. If you've been doing research, you'll know that most people aren't comfortable with Towmax 16" tires. Plus, they were likely manufactured several years ago. If that's what's on the trailer and you want to make a change, now would be the time.

Do a very careful inspection of the interior before negotiating the purchase. If prospective customers have been walking through the unit for a couple of years, there could be cosmetic issues that need to be addressed. These are typically the dealer's responsibility and wouldn't be covered by the warranty because they're not manufacturing defects. Anything that needs to be fixed should be fixed to your satisfaction before signing the papers.

Sinecure

Thanks for the response Dane. All good points that I will take with me to the dealer. I wasn't able to go today - I somewhat talked myself out of it, but have again decided that it deserves a look. I'm concerned that 2-3 years in the sun will have taken a toll, not only on the caulking as you brought up, but on the gelcoat as well. I keep my toys out of the weather in an enclosed garage so I'm worried that the exterior will be faded and chalky. But there is only one way to find out, so I'll stop by at some point this week. If by some chance I end up making an offer, I will request the items you pointed out, as well as a new set of Maxxis ST tires.

ucwinters

Sinecure,

I had a Elkridge. It had a free-standing dinette (table and chairs) as opposed to the dinette booth in the Express. Also, the Express has formica type countertops where the regular Elkridge has "pseudo-Corian" type countertops. The regular Elkridge has a molded front cap, the Express doesn't on the 2013 model (apparently the 2015 now has a molded front cap). These are some of the differences that I'm aware of.

camr

Our previous coach was one that sat on the dealer's lot for more than a year. The dealer was motivated to sell it, as should your dealer. I expressed concern with the age of the tires, and negotiated for the dealer to replace the tires with Michelin LT tires. Tires were one thing I never had to worry about from that point forward. One issue that we did have, related to the fact that the dealer had left the slides extended for the entire length of time that it was on the lot. Rain water had made its way under the ends of the slide floor, causing the floor to delaminate. Please make sure that you check these areas, especially if the slides are extended. Remember that this coach is stale product to the dealer, and has been chewing up interest charges for a long period of time. The negotiation advantage is in your court.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

donr827

Since the trailer has been sitting on the dealer's lot for awhile check the tires. Tires sitting like that are not good for the tires. Check all pf the caulking carefully and look for any water leaks that might have been caused by a caulking problem. I would have them treat the seals. Look for any amount of rust under the trailer. I would also have them pull the wheels and check and repack the grease. Be sure the tank valves seal properly and operate easily. Also a good wax job.
Don