Insulating Outdoor Entertainment Center?

akf15e

We just picked up our new San Antonio and absolutely love it! We are camping across the street from the dealer and it is cold! Low 20s, but not too windy. Anyway, one of the main reasons we upgraded from our former SOB, was to hopefully get a better insulated rig, as we camp year round. But at dinner tonight I was absolutely freezing as I felt cold air leaking in all around the dinette from the panels behind the outdoor entertainment center.

Has anyone insulated that compartment, and if so, how?

Thanks so much!

jbeletti

Hi Butch and Sharon - congrats on your new coach!

I have an outdoor entertainment center in my current Landmark Savannah. As you have found, the outdoor entertainment gear is really indoors inside the buffet table - yet accessable from outdoors.

To do this, a large section of laminated sidewall is removed. In it's place is a large metal box. Covering that box is the buffet table.

Yes - I have insulated mine. Don't laugh though :) I bought fiberglass insulation and cut it into all the pieces needed to fill the space in the cabinets. I did leave a gap around the back of the stereo system so heat could be dissapated from it.

I used white tall kitchen garbage bags and placed insulation pieces in the bags and taped them up. So I have maybe 6 pieces of insulating blocks if you will that I put into place. Then, if I need to do any wiring etc, I pull out the sections as neeed.

akf15e

Jim - thanks for the quick reply! One thing I have noticed and been most impressed with in my short time on this forum is how quickly questions get answered. I will definitely give your idea a try. And for the record, the rest of the coach is absolutely toasty. The furnace ran a while to get things warmed up but hasn't kicked on again. Fireplace and 2 small heaters keeping things warm. We will turn them down tonight to make sure the furnace kicks on some to heat things underneath. Another question: is there a recommendation on how much water should be in the tanks before turning on the Yeti package? Don't want to fry anything on night 1!!

Also, does anyone close/baffle the heat vent in the bathroom? Smokin' hot in there! Seems like it would be good to force more of that air into the living area.

Thanks again!

jbeletti

I'm not sure how much water is needed in the tanks before turning on the tank heating pads but I'd put at least an inch of water in them. It's a guessing game on how long to run water into the tanks to add an inch of water though. Consider running the kitchen sink for 3 minutes, then the bathroom sink for 3 minutes, then maybe 3 or 4 full toilet bowls of water. Of course, you'll need to power fill the fresh water tank from the 4-way valve in the UDC. Maybe 3 minutes on that too.

As for it being too hot in the bathroom, you need to be real careful blocking it. I'd consider changing out the register with one that closes, then close it half way. In this manner, you're still allowing heat to escape and at the same time, cutting the volume getting into the room.

As a more involved improvement and something I'd do if it were mine, I'd swap feed supplies between the bathroom and the underbelly heat run. The underbelly heat run is like a 1.5" line and the bathroom is 3" or 4". In a bathroom that is always too hot, I'd prefer to send more heat to the underbelly and less to the bathroom. If you're handy, this will be a pretty simple and quick job.

akf15e

Thanks Jim. I enjoy projects like that. Made multiple changes/improvements on my last SOB and got things just like I wanted....and then I saw a Landmark in a campground. The rest, as they say.....

goldenbear

I have also insulated my outdoor entertainment center on my Key Largo. Although I did it a little different than Jim. I measured the internal dimensions of the box where the TV is mounted. Went to Home Depot and purchased 2 inch insulation. Came in a roll 16" x 48". I purchased 2 rolls. I cut the insulation to the dimensions of the of the box. Layed the cut pieces in the configuration of the box ón a table and sprayed them with spray adhesive. I cut a large garbage bag and layed it over the insulation and pressed it down and trimmed the edges. I gave it a couple of minutes for the adhesive to dry. Now you have a 2 inch insulated panel with a plastic backing. When cold weather is in the forecast I place this panel over the front of the TV. Since panel is the same size as the box it fills the void perfectly. Now I close the door. ThIs greatly reduced the cold draft under the kitchen table. When the weather warms up I just take it out and roll it up and put it in the bag the insulation came in. I will probably do the same to the outdoor entertainment center on my Landmark 365 Newport.

jbeletti

I have also insulated my outdoor entertainment center on my Key Largo. Although I did it a little different than Jim. I measured the internal dimensions of the box where the TV is mounted. Went to Home Depot and purchased 2 inch insulation. Came in a roll 16" x 48". I purchased 2 rolls. I cut the insulation to the dimensions of the of the box. Layed the cut pieces in the configuration of the box ón a table and sprayed them with spray adhesive. I cut a large garbage bag and layed it over the insulation and pressed it down and trimmed the edges. I gave it a couple of minutes for the adhesive to dry. Now you have a 2 inch insulated panel with a plastic backing. When cold weather is in the forecast I place this panel over the front of the TV. Since panel is the same size as the box it fills the void perfectly. Now I close the door. ThIs greatly reduced the cold draft under the kitchen table. When the weather warms up I just take it out and roll it up and put it in the bag the insulation came in. I will probably do the same to the outdoor entertainment center on my Landmark 365 Newport.

I like your idea! Can you post a picture of your finished product? This is WAY easier than what I did. It is likely more effective too as you're essentially replacing insulation in the exact place it was cut-out to add the TV box. Your way also leaves the space behind the TV for potential storage. Also, in the LM 365 product, the area behind the TV is more finished-out and has some shelving. By adding the insulation plug in front of the TV, this interior storage is maintained.

goldenbear

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

jbeletti

Thanks for the pics - love it. By not facing both sides of the insulation, is there any fear of scratching the TV with glass fibers?

Love what you did with the remotes too (assume Velcro).

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Great idea on adding an insulation blanket to the OEC.

During cold weather, Have you had condensation issues with the vapor barrier being against the door instead of being towards the TV?

To reduce the possibility of scratching the TV, an inexpensive acrylic blanket could be placed over the TV and the vapor barrier be placed on both sides of the insulation blanket to keep the fiberglass fibers better contained. There are companies that make encased insulation that wraps the whole batt of fiberglass with plastic. Only the cut edges would be exposed until they were resealed.

goldenbear

Haven't notice any condensation. It only gets down to the mid 20's here in south Georgia during the winter and the duration is short.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I see them in post #8. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/51001-Insulating-Outdoor-Entertainment-Center

Peace
Dave

KNPMCM

I'm just in the process of purchasing my new 2016 LM 365 Ashland and pointed out this issue to the dealer when doing the walk through. They indicated that they would contact the factory and see what could be done about insulating this area. It is very critical to me as I use my unit when it is -20. I'm upgrading to the LM for better winter comfort and this is a weak link in the insulation. If the dealer doesn't do something suitable I will buy the foil insulation from Home Depot and create a barrier behind the TV.
By the way ....this is an awesome forum.

Thanks to all of you who contribute, it was what swayed me over to the Landmark365.

KNPMCM

'Lil Guy'

I totally agree KNPMCM. I think this forum and the entire Heartland family is one of the biggest selling points for the Heartland line. Be hard to ever go outside of it for SOB.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We went to Target and got one of the cheap (<$15) crate form pads for a twin bed. It was 1 1/2" thick and cut it to the outside of the door frame measurements. Fits perfect.
form insulation.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Dan - it's the crate foam pad that is wavy or like the old egg crate pattern on one side and smooth on the other side. OOPS - I guess I did mis-spell foam as form. With the extra pieces, we stuffed inside of the cabinet around the tv to stop bugs from coming in when hubby is outside watching the tube. Works great.