Some AT&T and Apple Data Gotchas

MCTalley

Just put up a blog post regarding three potential "gotchas" that you may run across if you use AT&T for mobile data and if you use Apple devices. Click here.

danemayer

Before switching to Verizon, I also ran into problems with AT&T's extensive use of roaming partners. The partners often didn't provide the same level of service that AT&T had claimed. And now, as your blog describes, there are data limits with partners.

We're not having that problem at all with Verizon. And I'm constantly surprised at how pervasive their 4G coverage is. We stopped 3 miles outside Buena Vista, CO today and had a good 4G signal.

I don't have to worry about auto OS updates on the iPad - I never have enough space. :rolleyes:

olcoon

Didn't know all this. The only time we've ever been charged when going over our data limit is while we were someplace that didn't have wifi, especially while gate guarding, when we tend to spend a lot of time on the net out of boredom. As far as downloading updates while offline, again I don't know of that ever happening. Sally has gone for months without updating software on her iPhone, while I'll usually update mine, unless we are on the road, & I'll wait until we've got a good steady wifi, or just wait until we get home. BTW we do have AT&T, 2 iPhones, plus 1 iPad.

Thanks for the heads up, will have to start watching closer.

porthole

Retired
We have/had multiple IOS devices, everyone of them never did automatic updates for for IOS software. The update always requires user intervention.

Automatic App update I have turned off while we are on the road.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Verizon smart phones (both Droid Maxx Androids) always ask us to allow the OS updates.

Although I do feel that the updates to our phones should not count against our GB usage.

Funny . . . last time we were at one of our favorite places to go (Royal View Campground at the Royal Gorge, CO), I made a comment to the owner of the CG that everyone else in the park was on their cell phones, yet I didn't have any cell service.

He replied . . . "You must be on Verizon!"

Apparently, Verizon was the only carrier that didn't have service at their RV park!

Here is a shot from our campsite at the Royal View Campground:

RoyalGorgeBridgeCampsight-P1060982.jpg

No Verizon cell service . . . but what an awesome view!

Lynn1130

We moved from AT&T some years ago because we could not get coverage in some of the back country that we camped in. With Verizon we have great coverage while camping but I have to have a Network Extender at the house because it seems that in this city of 3.5 million there are no towers close enough to us. In fairness we are blocked by mountains on three sides.