Possible venting problems

LMG

We have a 2008 Bighorn 3670. We are getting a very bad mildew smell under the bathroom sink and seeping outside under the trailer. Also, inside the whole trailer if we turn on the fantastic fan. There are no wet spots under the trailer or in the storage area and NO musty smells in the storage area. We are wondering about a faulty inline valve in the vent for the sink. Could that cause this problem? We are in Arizona now headed back to Oregon in two weeks where we are scheduled for warranty work. Meanwhile, any suggestions for what we can do to improve the smelly situation before then? We've been unable to find any dealer around here that does warranty work on Heartland RV's.
Thanks,
LMG None

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You may be on to something with the vent. The sinks do not vent out to the top of the trailer, instead there is a vent cap under the sink which has a one-way valve. It is supposed to let air in and keep odor from coming out. It could be bad and just needs to be replaced. Possibly just loose and needs to be tightened

good luck

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Looks like this

1898.jpg

ChopperBill

Yes the stock ones just have a rubber flapper. Yours may not be closing all the way and letting odors out. Go to ACE and get a couple, one for the bedroom sink too, that have a spring in them to help keep the 'em closed. Easy to replace just screw 'em on.

jpmorgan37

LMG;

You said in another thread:

Quote "Thanks guys, We had been having trouble with a small leak from the toilet, but thought we were keeping it wiped up. Husband crawled under trailer with a flashlight and found wet wood. We have a pan under the leaking valve now and hope the dry Arizona air will dry it out soon. The smell has improved. We've called and scheduled an appointment with the service department when we return home next month." Un-quote

Is this the same smell? Did you get the leak in the toilet fixed? Is the smell still getting better, staying the same or getting worse?

John

LMG

possible venting problem

We think we had two seperate problems. Leaky toilet valve water is being caught in a pan and storage area is now dry, no odor there at all. Mildew smell gets worse as outside temp rises.Also if bathroom fan or fantastic fan turned on. We've tracked worse odor source to under bathroom sink and waifing out under the trailer. Sink drain smells sweet so we think it must be the venting. Going to town to get replacement valve as suggested. Crossing our fingers.
LMG

ChopperBill

LMG, I had the sewer oder coming in the bedroom. I did about everything to stop it including plugging off the Washing machine drain. Still had the oder. My wife could smell it more than me but when I finally got a good whiff of it a couple of days later I thought it smelled more like propane. Sure enough with soap and water I found the regulator was leaking below the bedroom. A breeze would send it up through some openings in the storage bays. Tighten up that fitting and all was good then. Propane smells like sewer. I would check those fittings too.