Pressure issues

Our 14 Landmarks didn't come with a quick dis-connect so I installed one myself. First I went to a industrial hose manufacture and had a hose made to length. Additionally I had then apply a outside shut off valve so gas can be turned off before the Weber Q regulator. Now this is where it get interesting. I'm utilizing the tank on the passenger side of the rig which has an inline 30lb regulator prior to the dual switch valve located on the driver side. I took out the 90 degree elbow and replaced it with a tee. Now that is (was) my fuel source (30lbs to the BQue regulator). After my first time using the BQue it was clear I had to much pressure. So I installed an adjustable regulator between the 30lb reg and BQue. Solved the problem. NOW here's the problem. The tank on the passenger side loses pressure when the drivers side tank is empty. The pressure is so low it will not provide fuel to the rig when the passenger side tank goes to half full. I swapped tank positions (passenger to driver) and everything is back to normal. I'm thinking the dual tank valve is restricting flow. Any thoughts?

brianharrison

Watch it for a while. I do not think the auto change over valve (dual tank valve) is restricting flow; if it was, it would still be restricting flow after swapping out the tanks.

It may be that when you excess flowed the pass tank without the adjustable regulator the excess flow ball check valve in the green nut pigtail on the tank may have activated and restricted flow. Swapping out the tanks may have reset the excess flow valve in the green nut (reduced inlet pressure to atmospheric). Yes there is a excess flow valve in the green nut that screws onto the tank (another safety device in case downstream hose ruptures).

By the way the pressure inside a propane tank is a constant 90-100 psig (at 75F) while there is still liquid present - it should not matter how full the tank is of liquid propane; it will be constant pressure (vapor pressure at temperature).

If I understand your setup, you only swapped out a 90 elbow and added a tee on the 30psi supply, with the adjustable regulator only supplying the Webber BBQ. The auto changeover valve regulates downstream pressure (load side) to about 11 inches Water Column (WC) or 0.5 psig. Your mods should not have an impact on the system as originally designed if only a tee is new in the flow path from the passenger tank to the autochangeover.

My thoughts.
Brian

Thanks for the reply Brian, what you've presented makes a lot to sense. With the thoughts on the safety valve I do believe that tank may have fell on it's side when transporting. I'll refill both tanks and see what happens. Thanks again. Just one more ?.....Where do you down load the graphics for the US. Being new to this site I'm not the sharpest tack when it comes to this computer stuff.

Watch it for a while. I do not think the auto change over valve (dual tank valve) is restricting flow; if it was, it would still be restricting flow after swapping out the tanks.

It may be that when you excess flowed the pass tank without the adjustable regulator the excess flow ball check valve in the green nut pigtail on the tank may have activated and restricted flow. Swapping out the tanks may have reset the excess flow valve in the green nut (reduced inlet pressure to atmospheric). Yes there is a excess flow valve in the green nut that screws onto the tank (another safety device in case downstream hose ruptures).

By the way the pressure inside a propane tank is a constant 90-100 psig (at 75F) while there is still liquid present - it should not matter how full the tank is of liquid propane; it will be constant pressure (vapor pressure at temperature).

If I understand your setup, you only swapped out a 90 elbow and added a tee on the 30psi supply, with the adjustable regulator only supplying the Webber BBQ. The auto changeover valve regulates downstream pressure (load side) to about 11 inches Water Column (WC) or 0.5 psig. Your mods should not have an impact on the system as originally designed if only a tee is new in the flow path from the passenger tank to the autochangeover.

My thoughts.
Brian

brianharrison

Good question and no worries on not being the sharpest tack :) We all start somewhere and learn from there.

Here is a link to a good thread (previous post here, click on the colored words underlined) which talks about creating the map from the EPGSoft web site and adding it to your signature - (space at the bottom of every post you make).

Take care.
Brian