Good Sam Roadside Assistance versus Coach Net

SilverRhino

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with Coach Net roadside assistance? Member on a MDT forum had been using Good Sam, had a problem with them and went to Coach Net instead. He claimed that he had to pay extra to have a blown tire changed on his 5th wheel, $100.....so he changed. That is not what I understand the situation to be with Good Sam, which is what I currently carry. Never had to use it.....but feel better having it.

Anyway....Just wondering about the Coach Net....I had never heard of them before today.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know about Coach Net but I have had good and bad luck with Good Sam RS. The last two times I have called them one of them was very slow (over 5 hours) to get back to me so I changed the tire myself, and the last time they refused to come and tow the RV when my truck broke down because the RV was at the Ford dealer and they said it was safe and did not need to be towed.

Tundra2084

We swear by coach net. While traveling to California we drove through Las Vegas. While on highway a trucker lost a mud flap with the top bar still attached. We had cars on both sides of us and had no choice than to go over it although we were able to slow down we could not stop to avoid it. We heard and felt the bump but did not see any damage looking out the side mirrors and continued down the road. About 10 minutes outside of Vegas we heard a thumping sound and pulled over thinking we had a flat. What we discovered was our landing gear hitting the ground and all of our plumbing either gone or hanging with no more tanks or valves.

We called coach net and they made a few calls and called us back to let us know they had found a repair shop in Calicornia and not far from our destination, that would try and help if we could get their on our own and if not they would send a wrecker to tow it there. We found some rope, tied the landing gear up,removed the damaged plumbing and started on our way. So off we go driving and trying to laugh about what had happened kind of worried about the poor car behind us when we lost the plumbing and tanks because the tank was about 1/4 full and what the poor soul would think or smell but again we saw nothing out the mirrors so had no way of knowing.
We
We had driven about 2 hours when all of a sudden the truck 99 F250 V10 suddenly got louder and losing power on a curve between Victorville and Fontana. Truck only had 56,000 on it and no power, traveling with 2 dogs, pulling a fiver with no landing gear or plumbing and it was only 99 degrees out. Phone came out and another call to Coach Net and 1 hour later we were in one wrecker and our truck with trailer still attached was on a flat bed being towed to two different dealerships with us being dropped off at a motel.

Coach net paid for the car rental, food that we lost in the RV as well as the towing of both vehicles. 10 days later we were able to leave cali with a truck with new motor and tire and a fiver with landing gear but no plumbing.

Second time we used coachnet was on our way home from Florida and we lost the axle on our fiver. The axle blew the hub apart and locked everything completely up on that axle. We had the unit serviced before we left for Florida 6 weeks prior ànd was told by the repair shop that there was no grease in the hub. We rented a uhaul, loaded our stuff into it and left our trailer there to have the axle replaced and new tires put on.

Coach Net was a great help ànd quick to get us aid and when we submitted bills for payments they were fast in doing so and always returned calls quickly. We have renewed for another 5 years and would highly recommend them.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We have Coach Net and have used them 3 times in the last 4 years. The first time we'd gotten locked out of our truck at the San Antonio airport where we'd left the truck for 2 weeks over the holidays. We came back to find that the battery on the truck was dead (inverter left plugged in) which meant that the keypad on the truck was dead (keys left inside, on purpose). The 2nd and 3rd times were both due to blown coach tires. Coach Net was awesome...kept in contact with us while we waited for help to come and checked again afterward to make sure everything went well. We'd highly recommend.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have both and luckily haven't had to use either. With figures crossed and many prayers, hopefully won't have to use them in the future.

MCTalley

I'm sure both have their pros and cons. We have Good Sam and have called them twice. The first time was when we lost a Towmax tire (went flat, didn't destroy anything). They told us it would be about an hour and that's about how long it took for someone to come out. They jacked up the rig and put our spare on for us (once they called a second truck with an adequate jack).

The second time was when we had work done on the truck and the shop left a pulley loose, which destroyed the belt. Val was driving the truck at the time and called GS. They dispatched a flatbed and picked up the truck. We did have to pay like $13 to have the tow truck take the truck to the Ford dealer that had done the work on the truck originally since there were shops closer that they normally would have towed the truck to for free. I suppose I could have pushed the Ford dealer into reimbursing us the $13, but life's too short to worry over lunch money.

dbbls59

I have had both and used both. They are equal. I have no idea why your friend would have to pay to have a tire changed unless he didn't have a spare and the charge was for a new tire.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe Good Sam will only pay for so many assistance calls. Once you exceed that number you have to pay. And also a distance cap on how far they will tow you.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We have had both Good Sams ERS and now Coach Net, and have used both of their services. With out a dought Coach Net is the one we like the best and will stay with.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

danemayer

I believe Good Sam will only pay for so many assistance calls. Once you exceed that number you have to pay. And also a distance cap on how far they will tow you.

Just looked over the current terms and conditions in the most recent Good Sam brochure.

There's nothing in the brochure limiting the number of assistance calls and there's specific language about distance:

There are no pre-set mileage or dollar limits. When you call for service, Good Sam Platinum Roadside
Assistance pays 100% of the towing fees for the delivery of your vehicle to the nearest professional service center capable and willing to repair your vehicle.

jmgratz

I had a friend that called Good Sam "too many" times during the year and they cut him off.

Lynn1130

I love these "I heard from a friend, who heard from a friend that..." We all love to "add" a little to a story so once it makes it past the first person the information is pretty inaccurate.

SilverRhino

I love these "I heard from a friend, who heard from a friend that..." We all love to "add" a little to a story so once it makes it past the first person the information is pretty inaccurate.

This is exactly why I was asking on the Forum for input! Comparing these services is like asking "what kind of gas mileage do you get" or "which is the best __________ "

I currently have Good Sam and have been fortunate in not having to use them, but was interested in looking at Coach Net as I had not heard of it. Been thinking about the services more since we moved up to a MDT from the pickup.....Want to make sure the truck is covered for towing, etc. Have decided to start carrying an unmounted tire for the truck as they are a size not always carried by truck stops and many tire shops.

Appreciate hearing of actual experiences with both companies, as Lynn1130 said, you never know what has been "added" to some of the stories we hear....especially on the Internet!

Travel Safe!

sjs731

Well let me give you my story from today. We were leaving Hayward, WI today for our 3 hour drive home. Literally 10 minutes into the trip I said what's that noise? It stopped and then started again and then I saw the smoke. Well the driver's side rear axle bearings went out. I mean out! I took the tire off without taking the lug nuts off. I place a call to Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. They take my info and say they'll call me back. In the mean time 50 yards down the road is a driveway and a guy and his wife come out to see what's going on. They say pull it in to their driveway to get off the road. I limp it there knowing I shouldn't pull it on one wheel on that side. Safer to get off the road, it was a County highway so not much room. Good Sam's calls back and says it's Sunday and nobody can come out till tomorrow. I haven't told them that I moved off the road yet. I tell them then send a tow truck/flat bed for the whole works. They say they can't do that. I remind him I'm on the road and it is not safe. No go on the tow. I ask what if I was on the freeway and couldn't move it. He said I would have to stay with the vehicle until mobile service would come. I told him I couldn't think of anything more dangerous that staying with my rig on a highway. I am starting to raise my voice by this time and tell him I am unhooking and leaving my rig in this guys driveway. He tell me whoever is on the GSRA account has to be present when the mobile tech arrives. I told him to have the tech call me and I will pay with a credit card. He says they can't do that. I said I am 3 hours from home and I am unhooking and going home. I said have the tech call me and I will give him a CC# for payment and the homeowners wife will be home to supervise. Can't do it. The person on the GSRA account has to be there. I hung up. Long story, long. I will be calling the RV dealer in Hayward to get their mobile tech to take care of it. Anyway I got to meet a couple awesome people who were a huge help and let me park our rig in their yard. Unfortunately I have to make the 6 hour round trip again. On another note does anybody have the part numbers for bearings and seals for a Lippert 6000# axle? I may want to have a spare for the future. Also it was just a bearing failure. Lots of grease in the bearings but one decided to give up.

jmgratz

Well let me give you my story from today. We were leaving Hayward, WI today for our 3 hour drive home. Literally 10 minutes into the trip I said what's that noise? It stopped and then started again and then I saw the smoke. Well the driver's side rear axle bearings went out. I mean out! I took the tire off without taking the lug nuts off. I place a call to Good Sam's Roadside Assistance. They take my info and say they'll call me back. In the mean time 50 yards down the road is a driveway and a guy and his wife come out to see what's going on. They say pull it in to their driveway to get off the road. I limp it there knowing I shouldn't pull it on one wheel on that side. Safer to get off the road, it was a County highway so not much room. Good Sam's calls back and says it's Sunday and nobody can come out till tomorrow. I haven't told them that I moved off the road yet. I tell them then send a tow truck/flat bed for the whole works. They say they can't do that. I remind him I'm on the road and it is not safe. No go on the tow. I ask what if I was on the freeway and couldn't move it. He said I would have to stay with the vehicle until mobile service would come. I told him I couldn't think of anything more dangerous that staying with my rig on a highway. I am starting to raise my voice by this time and tell him I am unhooking and leaving my rig in this guys driveway. He tell me whoever is on the GSRA account has to be present when the mobile tech arrives. I told him to have the tech call me and I will pay with a credit card. He says they can't do that. I said I am 3 hours from home and I am unhooking and going home. I said have the tech call me and I will give him a CC# for payment and the homeowners wife will be home to supervise. Can't do it. The person on the GSRA account has to be there. I hung up. Long story, long. I will be calling the RV dealer in Hayward to get their mobile tech to take care of it. Anyway I got to meet a couple awesome people who were a huge help and let me park our rig in their yard. Unfortunately I have to make the 6 hour round trip again. On another note does anybody have the part numbers for bearings and seals for a Lippert 6000# axle? I may want to have a spare for the future. Also it was just a bearing failure. Lots of grease in the bearings but one decided to give up.

The last time I tried to use Good Sam ERS they refused to come out to tow the RV too. What good is Good Sam ERS is they refuse to do what their agreement says they will do.

danemayer

A few years ago I had a broken shackle link on the suspension and called Good Sam. My understanding was that they would tow both truck and trailer if necessary. However, all they would do is send a mobile service person to fix the shackle. If I remember correctly, they were going to pay for the travel time charge, but not for the parts & labor cost. I asked if they could tow the trailer and they said it wasn't practical because 1) it would take a very large flatbed and 2) the height of the trailer on a flatbed would be a problem.

My policy actually says:
If necessary and whenever possible, depending on the RV disablement, there may be a local mobile mechanic available that can perform minor repairs or adjustments to your RV. In these situations, we'll attempt to bring a mobile mechanic to your location as an alternative totowing your vehicle. Member is responsible for the cost of parts and labor. (emphasis added)

My conclusion was that when they say they will tow both truck and trailer if there's a breakdown, they mean: if the truck breaks, they will tow the broken truck and the working trailer. But if a towable trailer breaks down in a way that prevents it from being towed, they are not prepared to transport it and will work on getting mobile service to the location. Of course, mobile servicers, unlike tow trucks, are probably not available on weekends or holidays.

I still have GS coverage, but my expectations are lower.

sjs731

There is an RV dealer in Hayward that is sending someone out to replace the bearings and tow it back to the dealership to repair the brakes. I gave them a list of other things since it is at a shop anyway.

Steve

wdk450

The last time I tried to use Good Sam ERS they refused to come out to tow the RV too. What good is Good Sam ERS is they refuse to do what their agreement says they will do.

If I paid Good Sam ERS by Credit card. I would put a claim in with the credit card company. I would also contact your state insurance commissioner or state attorney general's consumer complaints division. Trailer Life magazine has an ombudsman column that seems to often get positive results from RV vendors. Maybe your local TV station's consumer assistance hotline could help.

I have to add my experiences with Good Sam ERS. I have used them about 6 times in 6 years of RVing, from flat tire/spare swapouts, to a bad tire/cracked drum which required 2 vendors, and a roadside repair. One time while towing my rig in hot weather, the water pump on my truck blew, and GS sent a big rig tow to tow my truck hitched to the Bighorn. So far all of my interactions with GS have been positive, even getting tows 2 times on Sunday afternoons.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I recently saw a Montana being hauled on a semi flatbed. It did not have any wheels on the Montana, and chains went from the pin box to the sides of the flatbed. It was moving in the opposite direction of traffic from me, so I didn't get a good look at it. But my thoughts were, "Wow that doesn't look very secure." and "Will that damage the axles?", and "How do they get it off there?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk