A very inexpensive way to improve RV park WiFi

SeattleLion

We've all experienced sub-par WiFi at campgrounds. It's usually a combination of distance from the access point and low bandwidth. There is an inexpensive device that will solve the signal strength problem, but of course, not the poor bandwidth. It's called the Bear Extender . This device was invented by some students at Berkeley to help with the spotty campus WiFi signals. It has since grown into a great little company with the most respected extender in the business. For less than $50 you can improve WiFi. I know the inventor and have tried the device.

My personal solution is a bit different. Since we mostly go to state parks, there is no free WiFi. So We got an ATT UnitePro WiFi hub. All by itself, this worked well last summer. But the little hub doesn't have a lot of signal strength so it needs to be near the devices that want the WiFi. This year I bought a device from Amazon that converts a WiFi signal to a standard wired Ethernet connection. Then I got a powerful, but inexpensive router/access point and connected it to the Ethernet. The result is a very powerful WiFi signal all through the trailer. We are on the ATT 30GB data plan (we pay for 20 and get 10 free). This is plenty for most people. So long as we can get a cell signal, we have WiFi.

lynndiwagoner

Good ideas. I have a AT&T Unite and find the transmit distance to be adequate. If you go into the settings with your computer you can set the output for "boost" which gives greater signal strength. Your alternative sounds interesting.

SeattleLion

Good ideas. I have a AT&T Unite and find the transmit distance to be adequate. If you go into the settings with your computer you can set the output for "boost" which gives greater signal strength. Your alternative sounds interesting.

I did the boosted output. The unit is kept over the LR TV and isn't very useful in the bedroom. With the new setup I get full signal everywhere, even outside.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Look into Ubiquiti if you're a park owner looking to improve your WiFi service or even for your RV or Home.

I have their access points in our clinics and we could have close to 75-100 devices/day. Rock solid system.

The range is great, the throughput is great.

bobca1

Yep ubiquiti makes enterprise grade devices at really competitive price. I use 2 of their UniFi long range (indoor) APs in my house. Discovered after installing that 2 are totally overkill for my needs one would have been more than adequate, but after struggling with multiple consumer grade wifi routers and inability to reliably cover my entire house for last 2 years, I said enough I'm doing this right and installed 2 Unifis in upstairs bedrooms at opposite ends of house! Now have 4-5 bars everywhere in the house, Netflix is streaming and kids are happy, and I'm good 100 ft in all directions outside too :)

Look into Ubiquiti if you're a park owner looking to improve your WiFi service or even for your RV or Home.

I have their access points in our clinics and we could have close to 75-100 devices/day. Rock solid system.

The range is great, the throughput is great.

etcmss

I have this desktopAlfa unit and the added the external antenna and wireless unit inside the trailer(hard wire thru the bath vent, router is above cabinets. Works good.
The biggest problem is the park Wifi signal does not have the speed to work with all the free users. In that case using your phone hotspot fills in---just don't use Netflix streaming without knowing the data cost. Good Luck with yours
Gary