Ram 3500 MPG

GWRam

I've been considering trading my 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins for a 3500 cummins dually. Curious as to the kind of mpg people are getting with these while towing and during non towing driving. I know I want the cummins with the aisin transmission but have not decide on the gearing yet. 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10.

I would be interested to hear what kind of mpg your getting and what gearing you have.

Thanks

danemayer

Just towed from Breckenridge, CO to Pagosa Springs. 230 miles through 3 mountain passes, including Wolf Creek. When I filled the tank in Pagosa Springs, it took 23 gallons - 10 mpg (U.S.). I thought that was excellent for mountain towing.

3.73 rear axle. Effortless pulling 16,000 lbs up the steep grades. 2nd gear and engine brake held speed to 20-25 mph going down 7% grade on west side of Wolf Creek Pass.

GWRam

Dan,
That sounds really good for towing. Any estimate what the mpg is during unloaded driving?
I have been leaning toward the 3.73. The 3.42 will work as far as weight goes. 3.73 will give me more safety margin with I believe better mileage than the 4.10, which has great weight numbers.
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree with Dan. I get between 10-12 towing my 16,000 pound trailer with my '10 Ram 3500 DRW. I've read here that the same truck equipped with the Aisin and a 3.42 rear axle ratio is the equivalent to the 68RFE tranny with a 3.73 rear axle due to the tranny's 1st gear.

danemayer

Dan,
That sounds really good for towing. Any estimate what the mpg is during unloaded driving?
I have been leaning toward the 3.73. The 3.42 will work as far as weight goes. 3.73 will give me more safety margin with I believe better mileage than the 4.10, which has great weight numbers.
Dave

Dave,

I'm not sure about the unloaded mpg. I think it's high teens if doing highway driving. I thought I was averaging close to 15 while in Bullard, TX for a month or so (combination of city/highway), but that was based on the computer and the numbers all changed after getting an oil change. So I'm not sure how much I can believe the computer.

BLHFUN

just towed from breckenridge, co to pagosa springs. 230 miles through 3 mountain passes, including wolf creek. When i filled the tank in pagosa springs, it took 23 gallons - 10 mpg (u.s.). I thought that was excellent for mountain towing.

3.73 rear axle. Effortless pulling 16,000 lbs up the steep grades. 2nd gear and engine brake held speed to 20-25 mph going down 7% grade on west side of wolf creek pass.

wow!

Bohemian

I have been getting about 17 mpg highway on my 2015 3500 CC 4x4 dually Aisin 3.42. Cold winter driving on a new non-broken-in <1,000 mile truck. 11 mpg around my slow rural twisting winding hilly roads, quite steep near my home.

MTPockets

A friend with that truck and 4:10 gets under 14 not towing and on good days, 10 towing... I would suggest the 3:73. As others have mentioned, that's plenty of torque.

Bohemian

The Aisin with the 3.42 has the same 1st gear final drive ration as the 68RFE transmission with the 4.10 diff. Obviously, the 3.42 has a more economical potential than the 3.73 or the 4.10. If you are towing over 20,500 lbs then you will need either the 3.73 or 4.10 diff. Me, I'm towing no more than 16,000 lbs and chose the 3.42 diff.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
2014 Ram 3500 diesel dually
3.73 rear end - Aisin transmission
interstate driving @70 getting 17 mph
pulling landmark, interstate driving @ 63-65, getting 11 mph

huntur

Re : Ram 3500 mpg

2014 Ram 3500 Diesel DRW
68 RFE transmission
373 rear gear
On the highway @ 65 - 70 Getting 17 - 18 mpg
Pulling Bighorn 3585RL @ 65 - 11 mpg

bobca1

I have a 3500 4x4 with the Aisin. SRW so I have 3.42 gears (only option avail in SRW).
18 mpg empty (typical LA freeway driving)
about 10mpg with 15k in tow. I'm sure I could get 11 or 12 if I wasn't blowing past the semis up the grade at 60 mpg :)
Have done I-5 up to Gorman and back and the exhaust brake is amazing! Set the cruise at 55 for descent and didn't touch the brake once. Can't wait to try it out on some steeper 6 or 8% grades! (grand canyon next month, Mammoth in may)
I am at 4000 miles and filled my DEF last week for first time (5 gal).

AAdams

We haven't pulled our trailer yet with our truck any distance. We have the 4.10. Driving around southeast Texas city driving and some on the beach we have got up to 13.74 and as low as 12.17.

I would say that the 3.73 would be your best bet for a 18k or less trailer. I haven't driven a long distance on the highway in order to really tell what that will be.

hoefler

3,000 miles on the odometer, made a trip from SW Mo. to Disney World in Fl., cruise set at 72 mph most the way, averaged for the trip 9.4 MPG. Empty average is in the 17's. 08 had 4.10's, best it ever say was 10.1, most of the time it was 9.0-9.2. Same trailer, same speeds.

GWRam

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. This gives me more information to help make my final gear selection.
Thank You,
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD