Microchip- Yes or No

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
One of the local businesses in the community is offering a great price on getting your pets microchipped. We were kicking around the idea of taking Lexi and having this done. Does anyone have any opinions on this. Good and bad. Pros and cons. We are just a little leery about putting something foreign into her.
Thanks

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We have both Hanna and Samson both chipped. It is well worth it for the peace of mind if they are lost or stolen and then recovered. Chip is inserted with a syringe and takes a second. Neither of our dogs had any side effects from it.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I am a K-9 Handler and the regions K-9 Dog Trainer for the law enforcement agencies in our area. I also have owned, raised and trained many German Shepherds for decades. I can honestly say that we have never needed the microchips on any of our dogs, but every vet now days has a microchip reader and ALL the dog pounds and humane societies also have them. Based on that, it is cheap insurance that you would be reunited with your loved pet if they got lost or separated from you. It is inexpensive and not inhumane at all. IMHO

Rod

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Both Rowdy and Kaydee were chipped as pets. Most animal controls, rescues and vets will check to see if an animal has been chipped if it is brought in as a "lost" animal. Neither of ours had any issues and we too consider it insurance for if they lose their collars. Can always prove who owns the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelsay

We have chipped all our dogs for years without any negative effects. Would highly recommend it.

Geodude

Our guy has a chip. Took a second to insert, no ill effects. Makes getting him back much easier if he goes travelling on his own. Here in Ottawa the annual pet registration fee is reduced if your pet has been (a) microchipped and (b) fixed.

brianharrison

We migrated to microchips from tattoos - never looked back. No concerns at all. DW has threatend microchip for me as well, many a time.....

I`m waiting for embedded GPS for our furry companions.

Brian

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our cats, when adopted from the shelter, they chipped them while I watched. A few hours later, the chip came out of one cat. (he's very dense-bodied). The chip is about the size of a long grain of rice. I took him back and had it redone. It's peace of mind for us in case they ever escape while we travel, they are indoor only.

I also have a local shelter that posts on my facebook feed. They always show strays that they have, and seems like most are not chipped/no tags -- that means they only have to hold for 3 days before putting them up for adoption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Romeo and Juliet are both chipped. Great peace of mind and they showed no ill effects from it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think all pets should be 'chipped' Heck DW even wants to get me 'chipped' in case I get lost. :)

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Chip them but I would put down a son or daughter name down if you are full timing that way they can get ahold of you and your cell of course.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
Both the cat and the dog are chipped; great peace of mind if wanderlust kicks in. I can't say the same for the shock collar the DW makes me wear!

Ladiver

both dogs and birds are chipped. No ill effects and adds piece of mind if one is lost. We not only have our contact information, but another relative as well as their breeders information. It is pretty much standard practice for vets and animal control to scan all animals for a chip. I think you can also add health history notes, in case your animal needs certain meds.

All of our future children will be chipped.

Jim.Allison

My son found a pair of very expensive dogs once, he took them to a local vet in the area that he thought might be their vet. He scanned them and found the owner. Just lucky. I'm sure that he would have been less successful had the dogs not been so expensive.

As far a forced micro-chip on my future children, I doubt it, because I do not have any children in my future. If the future parents in this country tolerate that intrusion on their freedom, then they will get what they deserve.

danemayer

We chipped our cat when we started RV'ing in case she got loose. No ill effects. She never got loose so we never had to test the effectiveness of the system.

rxbristol

As far a forced micro-chip on my future children, I doubt it, because I do not have any children in my future. If the future parents in this country tolerate that intrusion on their freedom, then they will get what they deserve.

Jim, I was "micro-chipped" with a smallpox shot as a child...no ill effects. :)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Both our dogs are microchipped, and our cat will be too very shortly....I have seen the benefits from volunteering and working with local rescues....all Animal Services and rescues have ALL animals checked immediately upon intake. I have witnessed MANY reunions due to microchipping. One caveat...they do NOT work if you do not keep the information current with the chip company!! Get your pets chipped and keep everything updated....best chance of return if they ever become lost.