Tear on roof of Torque 380 Need advice!!

Charlie263

Took my 5th wheel in for yearly checkup and was told I need a whole new roof due to a 2 1/2 inch tear on the curve of the roof (see pic). Apparently a tree limb got it. Can this be patched effectively or am I at the mercy of my "forever warranty" to replace the whole roof to keep that in affect? The technician told me if I patched there, it wouldnt last 3 months. What say you?

Attachments

• tear in roof.JPG
    tear in roof.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 104

avvidclif

Introduce your technician to Eternabond tape. Properly applied I don't think anything can remove it. Others will chime in.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
X2 on Eternabond. LOOK_HERE

It's good for patching small areas like that. I've even seen small strips sold at some Wallyworlds.
Trace

HornedToad

I purcahse a Torque trailer in December 2012 and in March of 2013 I drug a tree branch that gouged a small tear above the entry door and scarred the roof down to two small tears above the garage door. I repaired it myself with a 12" X 25' strip of the recommended Dicor patch tape. I ran it along the edge of the roof to overlap and cover both tears and the drag marks. You'll notice in the photos, after the patch had been on for one year, two diamond shapes where I had to cut out the damaged parts of the roof that were lifted to get a good seal. Your tear looks fairly flat so you should be able to just lay the patch over but I would extend it over the tear and marks by a least a foot in all directions.

I sold this trailer in March of 2014 and after a year had no problems with the roof or patch. When I sold the trailer I offered the buyer a discount with the roof "AS IS" or a $5000 higher price with a new roof. At that time I filled an insurance claim and had the check in hand to either replace the roof or make up the difference in the discount. He purchased the trailer "AS IS" and parks next to me in the storage yard. I spoke to him the other day and after almost another year he has not had any problems with the roof or patch.

Even if you decide to patch the roof you need to file an insurance claim to cover the reduce value at sale or trade with a damaged roof.

Attachments

• Roof 1.jpg
    Roof 1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Roof 2.jpg
    Roof 2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 76

Charlie263

Introduce your technician to Eternabond tape. Properly applied I don't think anything can remove it. Others will chime in.

My dilemma is this, I have a forever warranty that will void if I dont replace the roof. I called an my deductible is only $250 to get a whole new roof. I know Im lining their pockets, but for $250 I will keep my warranty and have a new roof with no patches. Its a 2014 model too.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is a simple repair that can easily be done yourself. Get Eternabond, clean the area to be patched, cut the Eternabond to size, peal off the backing to the Eternabond and then press it in place. Be sure the area to be patched is not cold. (should be over 60 degrees for proper adhesion)
There you have it, you just saved yourself a ton of money and got a lasting fix that looks alright.

wdk450

Dicor, the rubber roof manufacturer, sells roof patch kits using a tape product like Eternabond, along with some lap sealant. These were even handed out at the 2013 Heartland Goshen National Rally. If the roof manufacturer makes such a product, I don't think it would void the roof warranty.

https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roof-products/repair-products/patchit-roof-repair-kit

Here is a listing of Dicor tapes, etc. on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8hmtfvk1sr_b

pegmikef

I wonder what your warranty really covers with regards to the roof? Certainly not tears. I severely tore the roof on my NT and had to have it replaced. My insurer replaced it without a squawk and it cost me nothing . . . until my next insurance bill came and then it was about 280 more per year as I was considered at fault since I was driving when the roof was ripped. If I had a little clean tear like your's, I would definitely follow Jim's eternabond fix advice. BTW that increased premium lasted three years.

Jim.Allison

You won't be the only rig on the road with a piece of Eternabond on the roof, I have a 4 inch long 2 inch wide piece of eternabond, from when I tore my roof within 6 months of ownership.

I own a roll of 4 inch wide, that way I can cut a piece 4 wide x X length or 4 X 2 or 4 X 3 or 4 X 4 and greater, you can also use it to secure solar cables, tv cables and the like.

Charlie263

I wonder what your warranty really covers with regards to the roof? Certainly not tears. I severely tore the roof on my NT and had to have it replaced. My insurer replaced it without a squawk and it cost me nothing . . . until my next insurance bill came and then it was about 280 more per year as I was considered at fault since I was driving when the roof was ripped. If I had a little clean tear like your's, I would definitely follow Jim's eternabond fix advice. BTW that increased premium lasted three years.

Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate the advice. I invested a lot in this camper and I want to keep the inside dry. That's where the big expenses come in. I guess I'm OCD about having a new camper with tape on top. Plus for only $250 deductible I keep my forever warranty intact. The dealership said if I decide to patch it, they would sell me the stuff do it, but they wouldn't do it. And he said my forever warranty would be over. Sounds like a racket to make a lot of money. You are required to bring in the camper on e a year for inspection to keep it going.

pegmikef

Charlie, Where did the "forever" warranty come from? Did you buy it or what? On the three rigs I have bought from HL they only came with a one year warranty (Landmarks have two I think). A lot of stuff on it is warranted separately such as the A/Cs, most appliances, tires, etc as those carry the manufacturers' warranties which may or may not be longer than a year. I think the rubber roof has and a pretty lengthy warranty on it, but it is probably against manufacturing defects. When I had my roof replaced, they told me that dicor warranted the rubber for 12 years and their workmanship was two years. So I am still not clear what a forever warrantee is.

Jim.Allison

Its no delima, go pay the $250 and get a new roof if it makes you more comfortable. A temporary patch is not going to void your warranty either. Question would the warranty people tell you to let your rig sit in the rain for 3 days with an unpatched tear in the roof? NO! they would not, infact I would bet that not patching it would void the warranty because it would be damage caused by neglect. And I'm sure that damage caused by neglect is not covered.

I am always amazed by what dealers tell people.

danemayer

If the warranty you're talking about is the RV Warranty Forever, I'm guessing the annual inspection of bearings and roof, etc. probably will cost you over $500 and possibly a lot more. Interestingly, their list of what's covered doesn't help you with bearing or axle problems, or roof/structural problems, even though they require an annual inspection on those areas.

It might be good to have those inspections done, but I'd guess they count on most owners balking at a big annual expense and abandoning the program before they have to pay a 2nd inspection bill.

If this is the warranty you're talking about, do you know the price of your first inspection? Are you prepared to spend that much every year?

Another consideration about the roof replacement is that it's very invasive. The A/C units, vents, fans, ladder (if you have one) have to be removed. The rubber roof is pulled off, damaging the luan under it. They'll sand and patch, and maybe put in a new luan layer, followed by a new rubber roof. At the factory, the Dicor roof is extended several feet front and rear and then covered by the caps. For the repair, they will cut the roof at the cap line and create a new seam there. That'll leave you with a much greater possibility of leaks as the caulking wears. There's a lot of opportunity for error in this process.

With respect to resale value, the question is what's worse to a potential buyer? A piece of tape, or knowledge that the entire roof was replaced. Hard to say. But I'll bet if you apply Eternabond and later trade the rig, the dealer will no doubt explain to potential buyers that Eternabond is the greatest product ever invented.

Jim.Allison

Exactly.........There are no ghost in your rig, if you have any DIY capability, you can repair anything in a rig. I personally think that the more you can keep your rig away from a dealer the better off you are. My rig is perfect, and in perfect maintenance, it has never been to a dealer except to repair damage from a blowmax failure. That repair was so bad, it was clearly designed to get my money. If that is an example of a dealer repair, I don't want them touching my rig.

On this forum, it seems there are 2 kinds of rigs, those that never go to the dealer because the owner fixes the little details himself. And the rigs that spend their entire warranty period at the dealer. Its like my grandfather used to say about hospitals, "stay out of a hospital they will kill you in there."

Wait for a hail storm and your insurance will buy you a new roof. LOL. Chances are your warranty forever is just going to effect a repair.

If the warranty you're talking about is the RV Warranty Forever, I'm guessing the annual inspection of bearings and roof, etc. probably will cost you over $500 and possibly a lot more. Interestingly, their list of what's covered doesn't help you with bearing or axle problems, or roof/structural problems, even though they require an annual inspection on those areas.

It might be good to have those inspections done, but I'd guess they count on most owners balking at a big annual expense and abandoning the program before they have to pay a 2nd inspection bill.

If this is the warranty you're talking about, do you know the price of your first inspection? Are you prepared to spend that much every year?

Another consideration about the roof replacement is that it's very invasive. The A/C units, vents, fans, ladder (if you have one) have to be removed. The rubber roof is pulled off, damaging the luan under it. They'll sand and patch, and maybe put in a new luan layer, followed by a new rubber roof. At the factory, the Dicor roof is extended several feet front and rear and then covered by the caps. For the repair, they will cut the roof at the cap line and create a new seam there. That'll leave you with a much greater possibility of leaks as the caulking wears. There's a lot of opportunity for error in this process.

With respect to resale value, the question is what's worse to a potential buyer? A piece of tape, or knowledge that the entire roof was replaced. Hard to say. But I'll bet if you apply Eternabond and later trade the rig, the dealer will no doubt explain to potential buyers that Eternabond is the greatest product ever invented.

Charlie263

Charlie, Where did the "forever" warranty come from? Did you buy it or what? On the three rigs I have bought from HL they only came with a one year warranty (Landmarks have two I think). A lot of stuff on it is warranted separately such as the A/Cs, most appliances, tires, etc as those carry the manufacturers' warranties which may or may not be longer than a year. I think the rubber roof has and a pretty lengthy warranty on it, but it is probably against manufacturing defects. When I had my roof replaced, they told me that dicor warranted the rubber for 12 years and their workmanship was two years. So I am still not clear what a forever warrantee is.

http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com
it's a new type warranty that dealerships can offer as an incentive to buy your camper from their dealership. The catch is they give you coupons and whenever a year rolls around and you have to bring your camper and let them inspect the roof and the appliances and you send in the coupon to prove that you had your camper checked out. This keeps the warranty in effect. If you miss A year and go past the anniversary date without getting your camper checked out your warranty is no longer in effect. But it basically covers everything as long as you let them check it out for as long as you on the camper

danemayer

http://www.rvwarrantyforever.com
it's a new type warranty that dealerships can offer as an incentive to buy your camper from their dealership. The catch is they give you coupons and whenever a year rolls around and you have to bring your camper and let them inspect the roof and the appliances and you send in the coupon to prove that you had your camper checked out. This keeps the warranty in effect. If you miss A year and go past the anniversary date without getting your camper checked out your warranty is no longer in effect. But it basically covers everything as long as you let them check it out for as long as you on the camper

I looked at the link listing what's covered. It's a lot like Good Sam's Extended Warranty, but perhaps less coverage. It's focused on appliances and a few subsystems and based on what's shown on the website is far, far, far from covering everything. You'll want to dive into the details to determine the value it has for you.

And since the coverage doesn't include roof, walls, delamination, rot, or other structural claims, it's hard to understand why patching the roof should void the coverage.

Charlie263

I was told they didn't charge but around $175 I think. He bragged that they didn't charge as much as other dealers. I was gonna try it out for one year and see if I felt pain in my rear when I pulled off. We purchased the extended 5 year warranty anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie263

Oh btw, the service tech told me that if I patched on that curve in the roof it wouldn't last 3 months. Also said it would cost $8500 to fix it due to the length. Is that BS using the eternabond?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Charlie263

Oh btw, the service tech told me that if I patched on that curve in the roof it wouldn't last 3 months. Also said it would cost $8500 to fix it due to the length. Is that BS using the eternabond?

I mean will the eternabond hold on the curved surface?