What is this on my roof

Jim Posz

I was up on the roof of my 2014 Sundance last night and noticed this thing fastened to my roof. In case the attachment doesn't work, it is a round plastic device about three inches in diameter and about one and a half inches tall with a stainless steel bolt and nut in the center. Looks like maybe some kind of vent but not over any pipe. Any ideas?
Jim

Attachments

• Jan thru March 4 2015 098.jpg
    Jan thru March 4 2015 098.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 157

wrgrs50s

Is yours missing the cap, or did you remove it for the picture? If theres no cap I would be concerned with rain getting in thru the holes.

'Lil Guy'

Is yours missing the cap, or did you remove it for the picture? If theres no cap I would be concerned with rain getting in thru the holes.

Just looked at Terry's site and the screw on cap is missing and not sold separately. Tink I would tape off the holes till you find a cap.

Jim Posz

Thanks to all for the info. What I photographed is all I have. We've been on the road for the past month and probably had the top part blow off somewhere. We're in Tucson now and will try to find another one before leaving town; if no luck I'll definitely close it up to keep the rain out.
Jim

HornedToad

I broke mine off on a low overhead cable TV wire in the alley and had to replace the whole vent. The wire was below code so I didn't have to pay to have it repaired. I screwed all my vents back down with Loctite.

Attachments

• Vent 1.jpg
    Vent 1.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Vent 2.jpg
    Vent 2.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Vent 3.jpg
    Vent 3.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Vent 4.jpg
    Vent 4.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 117

donr827

When I was doing the PDI on my trailer at the dealer I was on the roof and noticed that one was missing. The guy from the dealer took one off another trailer. Hope who ever brought that one checked the roof.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe it would be possible to buy a new one and take the cap off the new one and put it on the old one. That way you would run the risk of damaging the roof by changing them out. Just a thought.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I lost the cap/flip lid on our LP tank cover on the highway near Las Vegas, NM in January, and when I tried to buy a new one, it seemed the only option was to buy a whole new tank cover.

Except one place that wanted to sell me the lid for $15 more (+ added shipping) than buying the whole tank cover at Camping World!

But after a Google search, I found the lid online . . . at Walmart.com, of all places.

For $10.81 . . . I was able to pick it up at my local Walmart store in less than a week.

My LP tanks are now happily covered up and protected from the elements once again!

Might find the part you need there as Walmart seems to have a lot of RV customers and they seem to know how to cater to them.

HornedToad

Maybe it would be possible to buy a new one and take the cap off the new one and put it on the old one. That way you would run the risk of damaging the roof by changing them out. Just a thought.

You can definitely just screw a new cap on yours with the center bolt still there. I had to replace the whole vent as I broke out the center bolt.

Although you'll probably have to buy the whole vent just to get the cap.

caissiel

Lost my cap also 3 years ago.
I cut a rectangular juice bottle and drilled a hole in the middle. Trimmed to clear 1/2 in from the roof. Its aerodinamic and clear. Still doing well. Sure lasted longer then the original.

Jim Posz

Found one today at Lazy Days RV for $8.50. Screwed the cap from the new onto the old base. Back on the road again. Thanks to all for the advice.
Jim