Question for Ram DRW Owners

Chippendale

Was going around to some of the local truck dealers this morning kicking tires on their dullys. While visiting with one of the Ram managers, he kept talking about Ram's "Auto Level Rear Air Suspension System". I haven't shopped for a TV in about 8 years and had not heard of it. Do any of you have it on your DRWs and is it something I should get if I go with the Ram? I have considered regular air bags for my SRW 2500 Chev, but did not think I would need them on a dully.

Thanks,
George

Jim.Allison

I don't have one, but there is an aftermarket version for both TV and 5th wheel trailers. Im interested in the system for my fiver. I have seen the videos for both and it is pretty impressive. I guess RAM thought is was a good system or they would not have made it available on their star truck. But it is only natural in the GVWR wars that the springs would eventually get so stiff that there would be no way to provide a decent ride and the GVWR necessary to continue the battles. With the airbag system, a good ride and a great load capacity is achievable, all in the same package. Im interested in what direction this thread goes.

Was going around to some of the local truck dealers this morning kicking tires on their dullys. While visiting with one of the Ram managers, he kept talking about Ram's "Auto Level Rear Air Suspension System". I haven't shopped for a TV in about 8 years and had not heard of it. Do any of you have it on your DRWs and is it something I should get if I go with the Ram? I have considered regular air bags for my SRW 2500 Chev, but did not think I would need them on a dully.

Thanks,
George

hoefler

If it were available when I bought my truck, I would have bought it. I can add a Kelderman for about $3500 for the kit. I may trade trucks, if I can do it for the right $

Bohemian

I bought the factory rear air suspension. I have not towed with it yet. It autolevels the rear when towing. One option is to also lower the rear a couple inches when towing.

emm4273610re

I would have bought it on mine but got tired of waiting. Did add aftermarket bags myself. The factory air ride is supposed to make the empty ride less harsh. With the long bed and 4 doors. I think mine rides pretty darn nice, it is a truck. The real benefit of the bags when towing is to maintain the correct ride height. Driveline angles, headlight aim etc.... My 3500 only drops a little, less than 2", but having it level when towing is important for the things I mentioned. They do cushion the ride when towing. Good Luck and PM me if you have any other questions.

AAdams

I didn't get it. I didn't like loosing most of the leaf springs. The RAM 3500 DRW doesn't squat much even with a heavy pin. I am close to 4k pin. I chose to put air between the trailer and the truck instead so they can act a little more independent of each other and not transfer the shock of the trailer to the truck or vise verse.

G-town

I am really wanting a Silverado 3500HD but I can get a much better deal from a friend who owns a dealership of RAMS. Why did you choose the RAM 3500 over other trucks?

danemayer

I am really wanting a Silverado 3500HD but I can get a much better deal from a friend who owns a dealership of RAMS. Why did you choose the RAM 3500 over other trucks?
The fuel system on our 2011 GMC 3500 with 57,000 miles disintegrated, requiring 44 replacement parts, and no commit on how long it would take to repair. After being stranded for 2 weeks with no end date in sight, and 4 contacts with GMC customer service and their executive suite with 4 broken promises, I went next door to the Dodge dealer.

The GMC was great until it broke. Then it wasn't quite so good. Support from GMC was worse than bad. When they promise to call you back with help, and never do, after 4 times, you can't help but get a message.

Chippendale

I am the original poster on this thread, and yesterday (Sunday) I stopped by several different dealerships looking at their dullys. When I got to the Ram lot where the guy was touting the air suspension system, I noticed that not one of the 8 or 10 that he had on the lot had it on it. My guess is that it is pretty expensive and not too many are buying it. We hadn't talked cost.

My first Chevrolet was a 1967 Impala that I purchased new (now you know how old I am) and I have driven GM, pickups, suburbans and Tahoes all most 100% since that time. I know, the GMC might be a little more expensive than the Ram, and will tow/haul a few hundred pounds less, but all that I would ever need. I think I am going to make the GMC salesman at least start grinning a little, maybe not smiling yet, but grinning, and start talking seriously with him today or tomorrow.

At my age, this will probably be the last one I will purchase, and I want to feel comfortable with it. Even if it is more expensive, when you take the difference between what you want and the cheapest, and divide it by the number of months you think you will own it (have had my current truck 96 months so far), the extra cost is probably not very much.

I made a mistake of purchasing a trailer with a floor plan that I did not really want because of price, and I am not real happy with it. Not going to do it with the truck.

hoefler

The air ride suspension is a $1500 option. If it was available when I bought my 2014, I would have it. I qualify for Manufactures Employee Discount on any GM product an still do, when I bought my 04 Tahoe, it was a $15,000 discount. I am on my 4th Ram truck and my 2nd Dodge Durango, if that tells you anything.

cfulton

Have the auto level on my 2014 2500 and love it! In comparison to my previous 2012, a much smoother ride empty and with my 5th.

bobca1

in my opinion totally worth the extra $1500 I have it on my 2015 3500. Really cool I set the 5er on the hitch, down goes the truck, pump comes on and lifts it right back up! If you can find one with it on the lot, get it! If you are ordering the truck maybe a different story depending on how patient you are, it could add some delays. I tried to order my 3500 back in Sept 2014 but the system was on restriction had to wait until October for the factory to take the order, then after being built truck sat in storage in Saltillo for an additional month due to "ramp up hold". My truck was delivered day before x-mas :)
In my opinion, this system is better than aftermarket because its all integrated into the uconnect and dash displays.
There was a pretty active discussion on ramforumz about the system. I posted a lot of photos showing what the controls look like, and there are comparisons in this thread about differences in springs and impact on ride quality (consensus seems to be none - this is exactly what it says a leveling system not a ride changing system like the systems available on the 1500 and 2500).
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=181408&highlight=3500+air+ride

I also learned its a closed system - charged with nitrogen! This was after I played around with the storage tank (and let the air out - doh!) to see if I could attach an air chuck and use the system to inflate tires, which you can't.