Safety Inspections Required for Texas Trailers

TxCowboy

Here is the link to the other thread on this topic from November 2014.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/49556-Texas-Registration-and-Inspections?highlight=inspection

Here is a new brand article on this topic. It is an interesting read because (1) it touches not only your trucks but also your RVs and (2) it goes into effect in just a couple of weeks, March 1st, 2015 specifically.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2015/03/safety-inspections-required-on-texas-trailers/

Just a reminder that things may be changing in Texas.

jimtoo

The only thing that is new is the fact that the inspection will be linked to the registration now,,, like your insurance is linked. All trailers over a 4K or 4.5K were required to have an inspection. It's time that they did this. Way to many trailers were not inspected for brakes and lights. And also it will stop a lot of folks that have been steeling or counterfeiting safety inspection stickers or just not getting their vehicle inspected.

TxCowboy

I can tell you that I personally didn't know there was an inspection requirement on RVs without motors. When I bought my FW three years ago, it was not inspected and has no sticker.

The RV dealer had an inspection sticker logo outside the garage area but I thought that was more of a service for tow vehicles and motor homes. I never asked and the dealer never mentioned it.

Sounds like a good business opportunity for someone --- mobile trailer inspector who comes to your home or storage unit. Sounds like a cash cow -- Texas-style pun intended.

pegmikef

I have had my rigs inspected for almost five years. The dealer I bought my Edge from told me about the requirement and it came with a sticker. I get it done at a local custom trailer fabricator and they also check my undercarriage (not required by the inspection).

Jim.Allison

If you are passing through Castroville, there is an inspection station behind the NAPA store. You can go accross the street and have a BBQ sandwich at Bill millers or a fish platter at Sammys while they do it. There is another one at Helotes. Everyone we called so far has been able to inspect trailers so it has never been a problem. My dad was telling me today that his car inspection no longer requires a sticker, as it is tied to the plate now. Personally, I think that you should be able to pay your registration at the inspection station too then we can save all that time messing around Paying the "road use fees".

TxCowboy

Jim, I'm on the other side of town from you. I know about a half dozen inspection places in my area (three car dealers and a couple of oil change places). I'm going to call around tomorrow and ask them about inspecting utility, boat, and travel trailers plus motor homes.

I chatted with my neighbor about this topic a few minutes ago. He has a boat. The boat is registered but he's never heard about having a boat trailer inspection.

My other neighbor has a sail boat on a trailer parked behind his shed. It has been there so long, the trailer has settled into the ground up to the axles. I just know that that trailer hasn't been inspected in years but the boat has a current registration.

I guess the whole state is just full of us "inadvertent" criminals. :)

Jim.Allison

It only applies to trailers with a 4500 lb GVWR. Generally speaking that will be most tandem axle boat trailers, but not all.

More or less where are you?

I have had mine since day one, Its fairly cheap and I don't want any trouble with LEO. Plus a citation is not worth it, an accident does not have to be your fault in order to be cited for minor digressions. I thought about skipping it last year, but opted in.

Jim, I'm on the other side of town from you. I know about a half dozen inspection places in my area (three car dealers and a couple of oil change places). I'm going to call around tomorrow and ask them about inspecting utility, boat, and travel trailers plus motor homes.

I chatted with my neighbor about this topic a few minutes ago. He has a boat. The boat is registered but he's never heard about having a boat trailer inspection.

My other neighbor has a sail boat on a trailer parked behind his shed. It has been there so long, the trailer has settled into the ground up to the axles. I just know that that trailer hasn't been inspected in years but the boat has a current registration.

I guess the whole state is just full of us "inadvertent" criminals. :)

jimtoo

I had a inspectors license for over 30 years and never inspected a boat trailer. The only ones that were ever involved were the Rv's and larger cattle trailers, flatbeds, goosenecks. If over a 4K rating they must have brakes and I don't ever remember seeing any normal boat trailer with brakes, even with tandem axles.

Also,, a mobile inspection station does not exist,,,legally. You must go to the station or shop, trailer must be hooked up, lights checked and brakes checked for operation, tires checked for tread.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've had it done every year, But typically the place does a very quick check -- sometimes just a walk around. $15 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

It only applies to trailers with a 4500 lb GVWR. Generally speaking that will be most tandem axle boat trailers, but not all.

More or less where are you?

Well, it's a state law so I assume the 4500 lbs is standard anywhere in the state.

TxCowboy

...You must go to the station or shop, trailer must be hooked up, lights checked and brakes checked for operation, tires checked for tread.

Jim M

Clearly, it's not a comprehensive check for anything other than road worthiness. Nor is it an expensive inspection -- $15 or so. But the compliance is going to be a real, uh, trick.

I'm thinking of the three inspection stations in my small town -- not one has room to accommodate a large truck, nevermind a motorhome, FW, or boat trailer. Even the auto dealer offloads their new vehicles from the delivery truck by just pulling off the highway.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have always had ours inspected. There are several inspection stations in our small (2800 pop) town and they all inspect RV and trailers. We put our sticker on the hitch. Look at the RVs that have a Texas license plate and you will see most are not inspected. As a retired LEO I never 'went after' RVers for inspection stickers except cited them if they did not have one and they were involved in an accident. I would talk to an RVer if I saw one in a parking lot to educate them of the need to get it done. Only takes less that 10 minutes and costs around $16.00. Now that the inspection is linked to the registration (stated March 1st of 2015) you cannot get a license plate renewal or new one without the inspection. So if you have an RV and your registration is up for renewal, get it inspected first. They state has made an exception for RVers, such as Escapees, who carry a Texas registration and are out of state when renewal comes up. They allow renewal by mail and give you 90 days to get the inspection when you return to Texas.

TxCowboy

As this new law just went into effect linking registration with inspections under one sticker, it's going to be interesting to see if any long lines of RVs are going to start showing up at inspection stations since, according to Texas' own stats, there are hundreds of thousands of RV not currently in compliance.

Jim.Allison

At least it will be monthly and not all at one time. Plus than my sticker expires in october when most of the boat and RV traffic is over. It will be a mess though.
As this new law just went into effect linking registration with inspections under one sticker, it's going to be interesting to see if any long lines of RVs are going to start showing up at inspection stations since, according to Texas' own stats, there are hundreds of thousands of RV not currently in compliance.

pegmikef

We've had it done every year, But typically the place does a very quick check -- sometimes just a walk around. $15 I think.

The place I go to actually does an inspection. Takes the truck and does a braking test. I forget exactly what he told me, but he said he has to get it up to a certain speed and it has to stop within a specified distance. Personally, since I have to have it inspected, I like the idea of another opinion on the braking capability and setting. This place is a custom trailer fabricator so they deal primarily with trailers, the preponderance of which are large stock trailers so I figure they know what they are doing.

Jim.Allison

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes

05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
15. Window Tint.

TxCowboy

For me personally, August is going to be an interesting month. My tags expire on the RV that month, the RV will be sited in Rockport, and I don't have a truck to pull it to an inspection station (having it hauled down there by a private contractor).

Guess I'll have to disconnect everything and pay somebody to haul it to an inspection station. There should be a ton of them in Rockport.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Jeff, how long will your trailer be parked in Rockport? There is no need to have it inspected and the tags renewed if it's not going to be on the road. If you're planning to buy a truck and travel soon you'll need to get it done but if it will remain static for awhile, no.

Jim.Allison

They will ask you at the registration office if you have travelled on the road without the registration. You say no even if you did, unless you were cited. Then once you have your tags, you go get it inspected. In the past there has been no reason to register a trailer until you put it on the highway, I have a utility trailer and I only register it when I use it. The tags are often expired for long periods of time.

Do not travel for inspection prior to receiving your current registration. You can probably register your rig on the internet.

For me personally, August is going to be an interesting month. My tags expire on the RV that month, the RV will be sited in Rockport, and I don't have a truck to pull it to an inspection station (having it hauled down there by a private contractor).

Guess I'll have to disconnect everything and pay somebody to haul it to an inspection station. There should be a ton of them in Rockport.