Air Compressors

waccajs

Texian
Information needed to make an informed decision on the purchase of a good quality, dependable, high volume air compressor. With the details of tire failures being caused by under-inflation, I'm asking for your input as to what air compressor would fill my needs.
1. PSI of 120 lbs or more.
2. Weight of unit.
3. Power supply needed for operation.
4. Dependability(warranrty)
5. Any other valuable opinions appreciated.

ChopperBill

I have the Sears 100 lb tank the is pretty similar. All my tires call for 80 lbs. and its a real PITA to get 'em there with my tank. Does that Sears tank REALLY fill those tire pretty quick?

fyrwlker

3370RL'ers
I purchased a two gallon hot dog compressor from American Tools off of EBAY and I love it. It weighs only about 10 lbs, fits in the front compartment of my 5th wheel alonside the generator, has a top pressure of 130 psi and kicks on at 70 psi. I attached a self coiling 50' hose to it and I can reach the tires of my 5th wheel and my tow rig. I'm sure there are others out there but the one I got works great.

Forrest Fetherolf

webI posted this 6/30/07

Photos compares a 12 volt Chicago Pneumatic air compressor vs 120 volt Porter Cable compressor with modified air tank. I removed the 6 gallon PC compressor steel pancake tank and built a 1 gal schedule 40 pvc tank.
The 12 volt CP compressor weighs 8.5 lbs and struggles to pump 100 lbs @ less than 1 cfm. The PC compressor weighs 11.5 lbs with pvc tank and will pump @ 2.6 cfm and up to 135 lbs. The CP has no limit switch, the PC limit switch is on @ 110 and off @ 135.
The modified PC compressor fits in the storage compartment and weighs 13.5 lbs less without the steel tank.

Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1365&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1180909960 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1366&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1180910011

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have the Sears 100 lb tank the is pretty similar. All my tires call for 80 lbs. and its a real PITA to get 'em there with my tank. Does that Sears tank REALLY fill those tire pretty quick?
Our neighbor here in Corpus pulled out Saturday. He has G614's on his Medallion. They were at 100psi. It took about 15 to 20 seconds per tire to get them to 110. The key is to get the compressor running before adding the air. He also has the trail air pin and he was amazed when I leveled it for him. His 100psi compressor struggled to air up the Trail Air. He probably has the Sears unit by now;).

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ray thanks alot I am going to sears tomorrow and buy the air compressor. I am planning on using it soley for keeping the air pressure in my Mission Tires at 80 psi and the truck tires at 85. Should I get a separate hose and tire valve connect? and any other suggestions. Is there a tire pressure guage on it so I know when the tires are filled properly?

sealman

We use a small-mid sized nitrogen bottle that I had from sports car racing days. It has a settable regulator that I can dial in to the exact pressure I want. It fits upright in the basement mounted against a wall. Lots of fill-ups.
John

Ray LeTourneau

Ray thanks alot I am going to sears tomorrow and buy the air compressor. I am planning on using it soley for keeping the air pressure in my Mission Tires at 80 psi and the truck tires at 85. Should I get a separate hose and tire valve connect? and any other suggestions. Is there a tire pressure guage on it so I know when the tires are filled properly?
Larry it comes with everything needed for passenger tires but you may want to get a truck pressure gauge. I picked up a decent digital gauge but I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it. The coiled hoses are a bit of a PITA so I bought a 25ft urethane hose. It also includes the extension type air chuck needed for filling the inside tires on duallys.

waccajs

Texian
Thanks to everyone on the input. I've ordered the sears unit and even caught it on sale with free shipping. My lucky day.

Larryheadhunter

i picked up a sears 3 gallon compressor on sale for 99 bucks. went over to lowes and picked up one of those gizmos that quick connect and have a guage and hose so that u can measure psi and deliver air at same time like at a gas station. Thanks Ray, i will give the model number at a later time.

rjr6150

Ray
Thanks for the information we take delivery of our new unit the 29 and it has the TrailAir hitch been looking for a small air compressor this appear to fill the bill. Best part Sears had on sale for $95 and change + free shipping till noon today

boatdoc

Ordered one also

We just got back from a 2200 mile trip in the new rig and when I read this thread got me thinking if the one I have carried for years in all the trailers had enough umpff to do these 110psi tires???? Checked just now and guess what, won't do them!!! Here I was, fat and sassy, thinking I had all the bases covered for the trips in the trailer :D. Well, I will now when the new compressor get's here at the end of the week. Thanks Ray!!!!

Larryheadhunter

i went to sears and bought the 3 gallon model ray suggested for 99 bucks. After using for lbs PSI it basically started put put putting till it died. Returned it and got another one and it did the exact same thing the second time. Defective.. Looked at the box and of course was made in China. Guess a bad bunch filtered in. Looking at a couple of different stores so if anyone sees a different compressor let me know.

jpmorgan37

Larry;

Were you plugged directly into an outlet or running off of an extension cord? I've seen some that wouldn't run properly if on an extension cord that was 16 gauge. They just wouldn't supply enough current to run the compressor.

John

Ray LeTourneau

i went to sears and bought the 3 gallon model ray suggested for 99 bucks. After using for lbs PSI it basically started put put putting till it died. Returned it and got another one and it did the exact same thing the second time. Defective.. Looked at the box and of course was made in China. Guess a bad bunch filtered in. Looking at a couple of different stores so if anyone sees a different compressor let me know.
My Sears unit is a 2 Gallon, 1 HP. Did the one you bought require oil? :eek: Mine did. I've had it for a year now and no issues at all. If you want, check my post in this thread with the link to the one I bought. Your's may not be the same one. It still should not fail though, unless of course there's that oil being needed.:D

linuxkidd

Just got one of the Sears 2 Gal units in yesterday. Aired up all my tires fairly quickly.

My problem: The tires required 110psi. The compressor goes up to 120psi, but the kick on point is down around 85 or 90psi. So... If the tire is > 90psi to start with.. The compressor won't kick on to get the pressure on up.

My Solution: If I get into this situation (which I did on all 4 tires), I stop filling the tire and depress the air valve inside the tire chuck. This vents air from the compressor. As soon as the compressor kicks on, I put the chuck back to the tire and continue to fill. I watch the pressure gauge on the compressor till it goes just above 110psi, and then I pull the air chuck off the tire. Works great...

I did find out that their 1/2 time duty cycle rating is accurate. ( The statement in the manual says don't run the compressor more than 30 minutes each hour ). While I didn't run it for >30minutes at all... I did run it continuously for a decent time. It heated up enough that the rubber cover over the air filter started smoking. I let it cool for a few minutes and resumed with no ill effect.

All in all... I like the unit. Just good to know the lil things to expect.

LK

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I use a Campbell Hausfeld 2 gallon compressor that I bought at Wall-Mart for 75.00 that has been Ideal as it Pumps 125 lbs (says 135 lbs) and cycles back on at 112 lbs. it fills my G rated tires to 110 lbs. with no problem but I can not find this one any more. The two gallon ones they now produce only advertise they pump 100 lbs. They do have one at Harbor Freight on sale for around 90.00 that has two tanks that lay horizontal and pumps 4.5 cubic ft. of air at 90 lbs which is four times the air mine will pump at 90 lbs. and I believe it pumps up to 125 lbs. It is distributed by by Central Pneumatic and it does require oil in the crankcase.

Don

boatdoc

My new little Sears one does the job just fine and as Ray said just make sure the compressor is running when you start to air up those 110 tires.