3750 weight??

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
3795 weight??

I had a prosective new owner PM me this morning about truck and trailer weights. There handle is "dsnowcrna" and new to the forum. The question was will a 2500 H/D pull the coach. They said that the gross weight of the cyclone 3795 was 18K. They could use some advise from the cyclone owners out there. My thought was NO. Please chime in with advise. Bob:D

Last edited:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Cyclone 3950

My Cyclone sticker list the GVWR at 21640! :eek: All the 'spec' I could find on any paperwork prior to actually seeing my sticker listed 18000. The service man at the dealer wondered if it was a misprint! I told them that I would just assume it was correct until Heartland sent me a different sticker and an explanation. For this reason, they are getting me a 22k hitch. (They installed a 20k until the 22k comes in, and I promised not to overload it!) Hopefully, I will never have it that loaded (21640) - at least not with my current truck! Not sure what mine really weighs right now, I don't have much extra loaded in it, yet! My 1-ton towed it like a dream, but I definitely would NOT want to attempt to pull it with anything smaller. JMHO!

dsnowcrna

Ok...here is the scoop

We are prospective Cyclone 3795 or Razor 3612 buyers. We currently have a GM2500HD 4x4 short bed truck w/airbags. Plan to add braking system, $$$slider hitch, and probably an exhaust system to help with the towing. We are local state park campers...possibly going as far away as 400 miles once a year. We do not plan to load the TH with toys! We simply want the extra living/sleeping space so we can invite guests along. Can the 3795 really not be towed an hour or two down the road to a state park with our current TV?? We don't want to go for over kill here. :)

Bob&Patty

Way Too Heavy

I really must interject something here. This is not a "doom and gloom" thing, it is fact. If you were pulling your coach and an accident were to happen. If a investigation was performed, and the result was that you where over your weight towing limit with the TV, you are in big trouble. Your insurance may not pay off and you could be sued. In Cal. if you are stopped and found to be over the GVWR, you have to drop your trailer right there and get someone to get your trailer with the proper weight rated TV. DSNOWCRNA, please do your research 1st before you buy anything. In you best interest, Bob :D:D:eek:

NewCyclone

I got the same PM regarding the cyclone and have been talking to the prospective buyer. I have the 3795 and pull it with no problems at all. The loaded weight of my trailer is 13,540 lbs.

Bob&Patty

Truck And Trailer Weights Again

New Cyclone and Dsnowcrna, I guess I am not explaning this properly. The weight sticker in the trailer has an empty weight and a loaded weight listed on it. The gross or loaded weight is what the cops look at. They do not care about anything else. Dsn told me that the gross listed weight was 18K and they have a 2500 HD D/A truck. A 2500 Chevy truck full of fuel and 5 people a cooler or 2 will probably weigh in at about 7500-7600 #'s. Next thing is the the truck is rated at 22K TOTAL COMBINED weight, truck and trailer. The weights listed for both vehicals is 22K. By my math by the stickers in the coach and the TV they are at 25500#'s, 3500#'s over weight. Thats what the county mounties look at period. I dont know about Texas but here in CAlif, you had better have the addendum to your drivers license if you are pulling anything over 10K. DSN, your 2500 H/D will pull the coach but are you safe. I never want to see anything bad happen to anyone. Bob:D:D:eek:

I agree with Bob & Patty,

My last truck was a 04 2500 Dodge Cummins 4X4 Quad Cab with all the extra towing stuff...very simlar to your GM truck.

My new trailer is Cyclone 4012...not much more than the 3712. Right off the bat the 3712 is about 12K pounds dry...that's just about your max already witha 3/4 ton truck.

I bit the bullet and bought an 08 Ford F350 Crew Cab 4x4, DUELLY with the 13K truck GVWR ( the highest made). Still, the most I can legaly tow is 17800. My trailer has a GCWR of 18000. So, technically I'm illegal. Yes, I don't plan on carrying motorcycles and such so I will probably really be at 16-17K at the very most. But, the CHP don't care about that. They look at the actual ratings. And, if I get in a wreck...I'm positive the police and/or my insurance will be looking very closely at my weight ratings. I can live with 200 pounds, but not with 2000+

The 3/4 ton truck will be way under rated...even with airbags, tires, etc. And, if my 1 ton barely, if at all, makes it, what do you think the 3/4 ton will be?

The question you should NOT be asking is "can I carry that trailer?"

The question should be "should I carry that trailer?"

I drive big commercial trucks (fire engines and fire trucks) for a living and I see folks in F-250s and 2500 trucks towing trailers that are obviously too big rather frequently. I would not go as far as calling them organ donors, but I will say the bring a good amount of business our way. I mean no disrespect here...these are just the facts.

Good Luck in whatever trailer you chose. If it is a Cyclone or Razor, I know you'll be happy with it.
Rock On....

cwlibby

one of th big concerns to think about is the stopping ability of these trucks...maybe you might squeek in on weight, but what happens when that whacko road hog pulls in too quickly and you have to hit the brakes...can your truck also deal with that weight load pushing it? people seem to forget that that's a pretty big rig behind you helping you go down the road..

truknutt

Committed Member
Dsnowcrna,

We all feel your frustration as we have all dealt with this dilema at one time in our RVing careers.

I had a gander at the GMC website for 2008 Sierra towing specifications and without knowing your year of manufacture, engine size, rear axle ratio nor cab configuration no one can give you the correct answer to your question.

The GMC chart indicates that the MAXIMUM weight of a fifth wheel that a Duramax reg cab 2500HD w/3.73 rear and auto Trans can tow SAFELY is 15,800 lbs. Standard disclaimer statement is then posted---

"**Maximum trailer ratings are calculated assuming standard equipped vehicle, driver, and required trailering equipment. The weight of option equipment, passengers, and cargo will reduce the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can tow. 10% to 15% of the trailer weight is the recommended trailer tongue load."

There are no GCWR ratings posted but this is an important number to know when making this type of decision. Once you have gathered the correct specs for your vehicle you can make the informed decision. Until then you will continue to receive a slew of well intentioned advice from the good folks here on the forum.

If you are just going to use the added room for sleeping, etc IMHO I would forego the Cyclones & the big Razor with their third axle. This is just added weight in your situation. You just happened to pick the one Razor that has a GVW of 18,000! The other models listed on the Heartland website carry a 14,500 GVW; that's an automatic 3500 lb savings right there if you end up concerned about the weight factor.

Sorry, but hope this gets us all back on track.

Bob&Patty

Better Idea

I am really glad that everybody chimed in on this. I never meant to burst someones bubble. My only intent was to make them SAFE. I can frankly tell you that we have all been there. I want the biggest, shinest car and truck out there. After being in the auto business for over 40 years, I can tell you how some things work. A bad salesman will sell you what you want. A really good salesman will sell you what you need. Most people will buy what they want (ie) a Corvette, but they need a wagon with 5 kids at home. I hope you understand this, because it happens all the time. They now have something that they cannot use and a big payment. Truknut did find a TH that would work with your TV, 500#'s under your gross combined weight rating. Take a look at those TH, one might really fill the bill for you guys and you dont have to get a new TV.:) Good Luck. Bob:D:D:eek:

Loco

I too will get in on this one. I know how a 3795 pulls and what it's weight is. I know how it handles in the mountain roads,I know how it stops when I am running 80 and come over a hill and all I mean All the traffic is stopped in front of me. Did it stop? Yes it did. Just because the trailer brakes were working just right and we pull with a dually it was down shifting fast and could handle all the weight being thrown on it. Did I mess the seats well I thought I did.Anyway like Hawk I have been driving big trucks for over 29 years.I think that only you can make the choice of what to do. We have had our Cyclone for 3 years this May.We have put over 12000 miles on it and that was loaded with a full load of kids,Harleys,you name it. It is a load for our F-350, Not to say it cannot handle it. Does really great. Like the trailer is not back there. But you know you are pulling a big one. Our trailer weight was 12,330 empty when we picked it up from the dealer. We now have ours loaded with all types of things so we pushing the limit on our rig when the bikes are on it. Last time we weigh it it came in over 24000 lbs Truck and trailer together with us in the rig. As for me there is no way I would pull a 3795 or 4012,3912 with anything less than a dually! That is just me.I have said my peace now.GOOD LUCK WITH IT

dsnowcrna

Thanks guys...

We truly are listening! We have not yet determined which unit we are going with. (We roadtrip Saturday to see the Cyclones and Razors in person.) This was my attempt to expose my wonderful hubby to folks with experience pulling big rigs and the TV they pull with. WE have driven a 34ft MH...but we well know this will be entirely different! My vote has always been for a bigger TV or a smaller trailer. We will see what he thinks after we tour the actual rvs and how honest the salesman is at ExploreUSA over in Denton, Texas! ;)

I hope to at the very least make a decision that will get the ball rolling and put us in a specific trailer/TV and out rving soon! This process has been going on well over six months. All the advice is greatly appreciated and weighs heavily on my 49% of the vote in this!!!:D

We look forward to joining everyone in Heartland family!
Jessica Snow

Bob&Patty

Jessica, the whole gang here is rooting for you and DH. We just want all of you and Grandma to be safe in your travels. A few feet of space is not worth you guys getting hurt. The vehical that you and DH have will do the job if you stay within in the weight limits. Your TV will handle up to 22K. Remember the gross weight on the sticker is what trailer will max out to. Make sure you ask or look at the sticker in the coach and add 7500#'s to it. You probably will never put the max in it. The county mounties only look at the gross # on the sticker.... We wish you the best in your hunt for proper TH. We want you guys in the Heartland family. If you any have other questions about anything, get on the forum and ask away and you will get answers. Bob, Pat, and the :eek: cat

Forrest Fetherolf

dsnowcrna,

Now that you have read other's opinions, I would recommend a tow vehicle larger than the red one (photo 1) and smaller than the blue one (photo 2). Hopefully this will aid in your decision>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:confused:

I think Bob & Patty and Uncle Rog used this visual aid to help choose their tow vehicle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:rolleyes:

Forrest

Attached Thumbnails
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1544&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1188267660 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1545&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1188267660

crazybanshee

Jessica Good luck on your shopping trip. This is a HOT topic on all forums. Safety should always be the number 1 concern. For you, your family, and everyone on the road around you.
Doug

NewCyclone

Bob&Patty,

I hope I didn't come across as I didn't care. I do, unfortunatly I had my truck prior knowing what TH I wanted. I also was not a member of this forum so I didn't have the knowledge that I do now. I understand everybodies comments on the weight limits. Trust me, my wife and I are very aware of our limits and are paying attention to them everytime we go out. We only leave 1/4 tank of fuel in the generator and only plan to put 1/3 water for the toilet in the holding tank when we travel cross country. For now we camp with water and electricty hookups so we don't even carry that. I would love to be able to trade my truck in for a 1-ton dually, but unfortunatly when I got the truck I traded my car in for a loss. I do plan on upgrading in the future though.

NewCyclone

We truly are listening! We have not yet determined which unit we are going with. (We roadtrip Saturday to see the Cyclones and Razors in person.) This was my attempt to expose my wonderful hubby to folks with experience pulling big rigs and the TV they pull with. WE have driven a 34ft MH...but we well know this will be entirely different! My vote has always been for a bigger TV or a smaller trailer. We will see what he thinks after we tour the actual rvs and how honest the salesman is at ExploreUSA over in Denton, Texas! ;)

I hope to at the very least make a decision that will get the ball rolling and put us in a specific trailer/TV and out rving soon! This process has been going on well over six months. All the advice is greatly appreciated and weighs heavily on my 49% of the vote in this!!!:D

We look forward to joining everyone in Heartland family!
Jessica Snow

Jessica,

You will probably get this message to late, but be careful with ExploreUSA. We had a bad experience with them in Austin and now after buying our TH we realized that they tried to charge us almost 10k more than what we paid.

Bob&Patty

It's All Cool

Hey NEW, no disrespect intended, as a matter of fact, Ht's stickered weight of 21K+ floored me. I hope he does find out that the sticker in his coach IS WRONG. 21K+ with a 1tn duelly, WOW.:confused: I also hope DSN will post back to us what they found. We have a 05 2500 HD D/A with gross combined weight of 22k. Our 2955RL is rated at 14k posted gross + the TV being 7K+, we are at 21K. The Truck pulls it like it is not there, but a few panic stops and you will wish you had a Pete or a KW. I guess I always try to help the NEWBIES a little firmer that I should. The DAD and GRANDPA syndrome. I have driven 18 wheelers and I do know something about weight to braking and being pushed around by 80k+ #'s. It's real scary hoping it will stop in time, not jack knife, roll over,or just flatten a small car and kill eveyone in it .:eek: The biggest worry we all have is the MORON in a car doing something stupid while on a CELL PHONE with little kids in their car. OK, enough soap box or milk crate standing. Good luck to all you good drivers, cause not everybody is. Bob