Wireless Backup Cameras

Redrider007

Looking for advice on a good wireless backup camera for use with my 5th wheel. I'm guessing I need to go wireless.

jbeletti

I've used 3 different brands. All of them higher-end stuff. The best based on my experience has been the Voyager system. Well built, most persistent connection of all 3, 1-way audio (versus no audio) and night vision (LEDs).

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am leading towards wired with 3 cameras. Camping World has a few on there website.

jbeletti

I am leading towards wired with 3 cameras. Camping World has a few on there website.

If you're up to it - wired is always better in terms of quality and signal persistence. Check in with TerryH here on the forum. He's installed many wired camera systems on his RVs and trucks as well as multi-camera systems.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim I will have to hit him up. Looks like the biggest issue is the connections between the truck and RV.

SeattleLion

We have the Voyager on our trailer. The wireless almost never drops out. We have it on the entire time we are driving and use it as a rear view mirror. It's been no trouble at all. Camping World installed the camera and did a nice, clean job for $39. It's a more expensive unit, but it's worth the extra cost. I know wired is supposed to be better, but frankly it's way too much trouble for us.

porthole

Retired

Jim I will have to hit him up. Looks like the biggest issue is the connections between the truck and RV.

Just my opinion and observations.
I picked up the 4 camera kit at the 2013 Goshen rally.
2 side cameras, 1 dual cam rear view unit (this is a single housing with a close up and wide angle adjustable cams)
Necessary cabling
Trailer to truck umbilical
Truck cabling to a dash monitor

The wiring through the trailer has it challenges.
The side cams were a complete waste of time and money
The umbilical and connectors have been a thorn since installation. Cams frequently drop out and it takes a lot of wiggling of the connectors to get them back on (yes I have taken them apart, several times)
The video quality is mediocre. The rear view is good to see that you have a vehicle behind you, although you would be hard pressed to tell what kind of a vehicle other then if it is a car or truck or motorcycle.