Cabela's sent someone else's order through our SD mail forwarding service to us

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
So this is a good one that happened to me.
We get our mail sent from a SD mail forwarding service weekly on Wednesdays. Last Thursday, I got a note that our balance was low, which was curious, so I went and saw that on Tuesday we had an oversized package charge and Wednesday's package cost $20 to send. Wow. We usually average either a $5 USPS Priority Mail Envelope or a flat rate that's less than that. Couldn't wait to see what it was. My wife's birthday had just passed, so I thought it was related to that.
Yesterday it came. It was 5 pair of shorts (worth over $120) that was ordered by another customer of our mail forwarding service, but sent to our address by Cabela's. Somehow, and this still isn't plain to anyone, the customer entered his SD address (and included the box number) as the billing address but Cabela's populated our business and our name (we don't even have an account with them) along with our SD address (minus our box number) as his shipping address.
Cabela's was clueless. Customer service was "we'll send you a gift card." Um, that's not quite equitable. We paid over $20 to have it shipped to us. "Not possible, the client paid S&H at the time of purchase." Explaining to them how a mail forwarding service and full time RV'ing worked pretty much yielded a blank look over the phone. She said "she was going to request an authorization" to have a check sent to us, which to me felt like code for give us two months, call back, and we'll have a whole new set of people you'll have to tell this to.
Can't think that this has happened to anyone else, but it definitely happened to us. Anybody else have anything remotely similar with Cabela's or another company sending you something by mistake?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
That is what I was thinking...lol. And how do they want you to return them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

Keep them if its a good deal.....You might be able to give them as gifts. OR you can just tell them to cut you a check for the freight and send you a return authorization and shipping label. Dont let anyone tell you that they have never had a similar freight snafu. Maybe not exactly but definitely similar. I think it would be appropriate for them to send a $50 gift card to compensate you for the freight and let you keep the product.

Have you thought about the fact that you can return those items to a store without a receipt?

In their customer service department I'm sure they have a sign on the wall that says "If it can go wrong it will go wrong."

JanAndBill

Do the shorts fit? :) Trace

X2 LOL.

The customer likely paid $20 to Cabella, for shipping to the forwarding service, you paid $20 from the forwarding service to your location, you'll pay $20 to ship them back to the forwarding service who will then charge another $20 to ship them to the intended customer. $80 in shipping for $120 worth of shorts, sounds like a government purchase to me :cool: