West Coast Bugs/Mosquitoes

MTPockets

Who has summer camping experience on the West Coast, Northern CA and Oregon. I was wondering if flying insects and mosquitoes are bad or minimal.

Oregon_Camper

Oregon will have some mosquitoes and bugs flying around, but nothing like you'l see around Great Lakes area. Normally we see mosquitoes around 4-6pm...then they are gone. If you're on the coast they will be minimal....get out to Central Oregon and the amount will increase, but nothing to stop you from enjoying all the great camping in Oregon.

We start the summer with a can of bug spray (4 of us) and end the year with the can only about 1/2 used and we camping 100% of the time in Central Oregon

wdk450

It's pretty light, but localized. I'm at a Thousand Trails Preserve in the rice farming area of the Sacramento Valley, North of the city of Sacramento. People who have been here in the summer say the mosquitoes are bad here. I have encountered some in the wet(er) forest areas of the mountains.

MTPockets

We'll be exclusively on the CA coast north of Eureka from mid June thru Labor Day and was curious with the cool weather if bugs were an issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you dont like mosquitoes....never go to N. Dakota in the summer time. The mosquito is the state bird as they sell "T" shirts stating as much. Been there...done that. Still water areas are the worst....running water areas are not as bad.

wdk450

We'll be exclusively on the CA coast north of Eureka from mid June thru Labor Day and was curious with the cool weather if bugs were an issue.

If you are on the far North Coast that time of year, keeping warm will be a bigger issue. The cold Pacific ocean keeps the surrounding coastline cool and foggy a lot in the summertime. Mark Twain worked some for the San Francisco Examiner newspaper and is quoted as saying: "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco." As a kid, I used to sit in above 90 degree evenings in Southern California (Hemet) watching the Dodgers play the Giants at Candlestick, and wondering why all the crowd was bundled up in heavy coats and watch caps there.

MTPockets

If you are on the far North Coast that time of year, keeping warm will be a bigger issue. The cold Pacific ocean keeps the surrounding coastline cool and foggy a lot in the summertime. Mark Twain worked some for the San Francisco Examiner newspaper and is quoted as saying: "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco." As a kid, I used to sit in above 90 degree evenings in Southern California (Hemet) watching the Dodgers play the Giants at Candlestick, and wondering why all the crowd was bundled up in heavy coats and watch caps there.
Yep, we know about the temps and are prepared for it. I just wasn't certain I remembered correctly on the mosquito situation.