Traveling with a Residential Refrigerator

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thursday will be our first trip (other than from the dealer to winter home) traveling with a residential refer. Any thing we need to do different?? I know the inverter works off of the truck power while on the road, but what about the inverter remote switch on the coach control panel. Does that have to be in a different position than what it is while hooked up to shore power?

To be honest, I have not a clue what the remote switch is for and the dealer employee who did our "orientation" walk-thru knew less about the coach than I did. He was no help.

Thanks, Keith

travlingman

Need to turn switch on after you have unhooked from shore power. Make sure and turn off before you hook back up to power.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Before the inverter went bad on our Key Largo, you would hold the button down until it turned green after you unplug from the shore power. The green light lets you know that the refrig is now pulling off of the twin batteries within the coach. After the inverter failure the first week of delivery of our coach, we upgraded the unit to a little better/bigger inverter which is different than what came with the coach. Heartland has since fixed the problem with the inverters.

busted2341

Thanx for that guide. Made for GREAT reading..lol......We have never had a residential refrigerator so I was unaware of what needs to be done.....Thanx for posting....Frank

justafordguy

Heartland has since fixed the problem with the inverters.

Heartland hasn't fix them all yet. My 2015 Gateway inverter only works for about 20 minutes and then shuts off and beeps with a error of some sort on the display. Any one know what I need to do to get them to fix it?

Last edited:

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Heartland hasn't fix them yet. My 2015 Gateway inverter only works for about 20 minutes and then shuts off and beeps with a error of some sort on the display. Any one know what I need to do to get them to fix it?

Please call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 or 574-262-8030. Please have your Gateway VIN Number available, I am sure they will resolve your inverter problem.

danemayer

Heartland hasn't fix them yet. My 2015 Gateway inverter only works for about 20 minutes and then shuts off and beeps with a error of some sort on the display. Any one know what I need to do to get them to fix it?

Sounds like you have a similar problem which could have any of a number of causes. Knowing the error code will be helpful. The inverter might shut down because of a problem where the refrigerator is drawing too much power, or perhaps the batteries are low, or perhaps there are loose wires, or perhaps a defective inverter, or even a problem with the transfer switch that supplies power to the refrigerator.

Have you arranged for dealer service yet so the problem can be diagnosed?

justafordguy

I have six 27 series batteries and solar so there is no problem with the batteries. My larger inverter that I installed will run for many hours but the factory inverter that runs the fridge will only run for about 20 minutes before it shuts down. I have already checked the cables and they are fine. I'm not taking it back to the dealer for this, I will call heartland in the morning and hopefully they will help me with this issue.

danemayer

I have six 27 series batteries and solar so there is no problem with the batteries. My larger inverter that I installed will run for many hours but the factory inverter that runs the fridge will only run for about 20 minutes before it shuts down. I have already checked the cables and they are fine. I'm not taking it back to the dealer for this, I will call heartland in the morning and hopefully they will help me with this issue.

Sounds like you have a pretty complicated 12V setup. Have you tested with the solar components and your other inverter disconnected?

OEFVET

I have a Cyclone with a residential refrigerator. When not on shore power or generator power the refrigerator does not go on. I read the residential refrigerator guide and found out that I need to turn on the switch on the inverter when on battery power. I located the inverter and the local switch on it. It is all the way in the back of the battery compartment and tough to get to. So here is my question. Where is the inverter remote switch located?

EPaulikonis

I have a Savannah and there's a Magnum remote switch in the main power panel box. Single black switch with a green light to indicate when inverter is powering the circuit.

OEFVET

The switch you are describing is the same as the one in the residential refrigerator guide. I don't have a switch like that in my Cyclone.

EPaulikonis

Sorry...don't know what to tell you on a Cyclone. Just figured HL would locate the remote switch inside the circuit breaker box on all products. Good luck on the search for the switch.

jbeletti

I have a Cyclone with a residential refrigerator. When not on shore power or generator power the refrigerator does not go on. I read the residential refrigerator guide and found out that I need to turn on the switch on the inverter when on battery power. I located the inverter and the local switch on it. It is all the way in the back of the battery compartment and tough to get to. So here is my question. Where is the inverter remote switch located?

What brand of inverter is used in your Cyclone for the refer?

Did you notice a telephone-like cord connected to the inverter? This is what the remote switch cable is like for the Magnum.

Kindly consider calling Heartland today. Maybe start with the Toyhauler division. Call 574-262-5992. Let us know what you find out.

OEFVET

Thanks all. Update - My remote switch is a little different then the Magnum. It is pictured below. It must be manually turned on for battery power.
Xantrex XM1000.jpg

jbeletti

Thanks all. Update - My remote switch is a little different then the Magnum. It is pictured below. It must be manually turned on for battery power.

Thanks for sharing the photo. It's hard for the user guides to stay current as products are updated. Glad you figured this out as it will surely help others as well.

justafordguy

I just spoke with Dave (very knowledgeable guy) at Heartland and they are sending me a new inverter. He said although my Gateway is a 2015 that some of the new units went out with the old style inverter. I'll update as soon as I get it swapped out.

justafordguy

I just installed the new inverter that Heartland sent me and so far so good. It's been running for 4 hours and hasn't shut down yet. I guess time will tell if the problem is fixed completely.