Samsung RF197 Ice Maker will not make ice

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I de-winterized our new Ashland this weekend. The refrigerator has been on and cooling for a couple of weeks. If I press the test button the ice maker will cycle properly including filling the tray with water, but it won't cycle without pushing the test button. It will freeze the ice but will not dump the cubes without pressing the button. Ideas? Will Heartland warranty cover an appliance repair person to come to fix it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does your ice maker have a bail arm, and is it in the down position?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi billyjoeraybob,

On most items covered by warranty, you'd have to take the rig to an authorized dealer or get advance approval to use a different service location, including independents and non-Heartland dealers, along with mobile servicers. Travel time charges are not usually covered.

However, in the case of the residential refrigerator, the warranty is most likely provided by the refrigerator manufacturer. And because it's a residential refrigerator, I'd guess they will send someone to you at no charge.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They'll give you specific direction.

In the meantime, make sure 1) the bail arm is down and 2) the ice maker is ON. The ice maker switch should be in the | position.

billyjoeraybob

No bail arm like you are thinking of. This one has an arm that is supposed to sense the ice level. When I press the test button to make it cycle it lowers into the ice bin then retracts back into position. I thought this arm may need to be "unlocked" but I couldn't see a way to do it. I didn't want to force it and break it. The manual only mentioned the the power button and the test button. Nothing about this arm.

danemayer

Samsung calls it a "feeler arm" that has to move freely. I think it has the same function as the typical "bail arm" that detects a full bin and stops making ice.

billyjoeraybob

Thanks guys. I will call CS tomorrow. Dan do you know if this feeler arm has a off position like the bail arms?

AAdams

I do not have this fridge but after reading about it I am wondering is the switch number 1 on the front control panel is set to off. Just a thought.......... Also the manual said that there is a time delay ( up to 12 hours ). Hope this helps

billyjoeraybob

I talked to Samsung and they said that I need to press the test button and hold it for 10 secs and listen for a beep. Then the ice maker should be reset and function normally. I will check it out this weekend.