Wilderness Travel Trailer - Keep it or take it back?

KFPD404

Just went Saturday and picked up our new 2015 Heartland Wilderness 2850bh . To start the story we purchased the trailer last Friday a week before and felt we did a pretty good walk around looking for any damage . The only thing we saw was on the left front side of the trailer it appeared that to me that a patch had been preformed and I question the salesman about it and he said it looked like a paint run to him but I said no its a patch job that wasn't done correctly. He assured me that it want done by them if it was and had to have been repaired at the factory . He said that they could send to a repair shop but they would blend the paint in not repaint the whole side . I had them look to make sure they didn't have another one inbound that I could get and they did not . Keep in mine this dealer is two hour drive from my home and this was the closest dealer that had this model in stock . So we decided to document the patch area and go ahead with the purchase . We did all the paperwork and the trailer was sold on that date so we own the trailer at this point. We had some add ons we wanted so we wasn't going to pickup the trailer until the next week end . So we arrive at the dealership and start our PDI with the service rep . The first thing I mention is the area on the side . He said that looks like a factory patch job to him . He said who knows how it was damaged but they didn't do a clean repair before they painted it and shipped it out . So my first question is this normal for Heartland to put this type of product out or am I just to picky. WE then went inside and saw nothing abnormal so we took delivery and was on the road home . We got home and pulled the trailer up and started loading the trailer with all of our supplies and bedding for our first outing. While loading my wife had both entrance doors open and the bathroom door, so light was shinning through . She told me hey come here and stand here and look across the floor where the sun was shinning . The floor had about a three inch cut in the flooring and it appeared to have been glued back down because there was bubbles under part of it . Again I ask is this normal for Heartland quality control ? To add insult my wife is barefoot and says hey why is the carpet wet , and we noticed that the carpet at the front of the slide is wet . we stuck a fan to dry it out overnight. so how could this be the road was not wet or raining but i do know that it was raining at the dealership the day before we picked it up and I also know the dealership had washed the trailer before delivery . . now my dilemma is do we take it back or is it even going to be a option and miss out on the first part of the spring camping season , or is it going to be a warranty issue where the trailer will be sent back to the factory again missing out on the season . I haven't got to talk to the dealer yet to even see what to do . besides cost me money to drag it back to them and leaving it at there lot. Just Looking for everyones guidance and maybe a factory rep will read this and give a option .

danemayer

Hi KFPD404,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

The exterior "patch" and floor problems you're describing could have happened at the factory, or could have happened locally. It may not be possible to tell for sure. But in general, I would have expected that if these problems existed when the trailer arrived at the dealership, they would have been seen by the dealer and the dealer would have contacted Heartland immediately to discuss repairs. If they didn't, Heartland might reasonably assume the problems happened after delivery and fall to the dealership to correct. Also, if the dealer allowed you to discover the problems, that might argue the damage occurred on their lot and they were hoping to get by without making repairs.

It does sound like you'll have to return to the dealership for repairs. Before contacting the dealer, you might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Get Heartland's take on what needs to be done. If you think part or all of the flooring needs to be replaced, you might ask about time frame for getting flooring materials to the dealer.

Then call the dealer to discuss next steps and how much effort they'll put into expediting repairs.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would call HL 1st before you do anything. I'm sure HL would know if any repairs were done at the factory. Also ask if their is an independent repair shop closer to you that will do HL warranty work.

KFPD404

Well I didn't have to contact Heartland . they read these post and they contacted me they are going to look into see if the trailer was repaired at the factory and get back to me. Mark from customer service assured me that if it was repaired it should have not been noticeable . I commend heartland for reading the forum post it shows they do care about what there customers think. Also contacted the dealer they told me that the floor would need to be replaced I don't think that is a option I am happy with , they said you cut around all the cabinets and tub and replace the flooring and then go under the carpet and re staple it . Then they would add 1/4 round around all the edges and a plastic piece is glued down around the tub . I don't think I am that picky but this is a new coach that hasn't even been slept in yet .

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do you really want your dealer to remove everything to replace the flooring?? JMHO....not me. They did not even fix a bad repair before you took delievery.

KFPD404

Do you really want your dealer to remove everything to replace the flooring?? JMHO....not me. They did not even fix a bad repair before you took delievery.

No Bob I think the trailer needs to go back to the factory and be repaired right , but I don't think heartland is interested in that . And That go's back to my original post should I take back to dealer and tell them to replace with new trailer or get my money back .

Snapper

*** If I were in you I would not except anything except a new trailer. I would think you would be entitled to a new unit based on the fact that your situation was discovered before ownership and told everything was OK and no one confirmed how the repair/damage occurred. I wish you the best I your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

KFPD404

Looks like Heartland has oked the repairs witch I would expect . But I wasn't happy with a brand new trailer having to go in for these types of repairs . The selling dealer Bob Hurley RV in Tulsa Ok have been great to deal with on this and has agreed to order a new trailer in for me and take this one back . I will say they have been great to work with on the issues and seem to understand my feelings . From the salesman Brent to the service manager Brad to the sales manager Tina everyone has been Helpful. Nothing has happened yet but heres hoping it all goes smooth and now the five week wait for another trailer to be built .​

KFPD404

Damion - happy to hear you are on a better track on this. Happy camping is in your future :)
Thanks again for the help Jim here's just hopeing the new one comes in perfect from the factory �� I dont think I would wait another five weeks .

Snapper

Congratulations on working out the situation. I'm sure you'll have more confidence in the new trailer that everything will be okay. I have to give the dealership a high five on addressing the matter quickly for you. Leaking water issues are very serious when it comes to trailers and proper repairs and solutions need to be taken to make sure internal structures are not damaged from the water and mold does not start to grow.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Good that you found your issues immediately!

I am glad that you are able to get this resolved right away.

Not all of us were that lucky with our hidden problems . . .

Hutch85

I can imagine it would be really disappointing to encounter that. Kudos to Heartland for being proactive and the dealer for working to resolve the situation quickly, though. A friend went thru something somewhat similar a couple years ago with another brand of trailer (water damage in one of the walls, from outside), and it took them close to a year to get anywhere with it - repeated calls with a couple of dealers and the manufacturer. Finally managed to speak with someone higher up and they worked out some sort of trade-in on the next year's model.

I hope it all works out :)

dcf

I have to wonder if this is a common flaw, as I saw a trailer with a bad patch in just about the same location -- and with water damage -- on a lot in Virginia two weeks ago. In that case, it had leaked into the wood frame over the bed and turned the engineered wood product into mush.