Towing a 21FBS

kdw61

Just getting into RVing and will pick up a slightly used North Trail 21FBS on Friday. I have never towed an trailer before. Will be using a Ford F150 reg cab with a 6 ft bed and topper. Has a 5L engine and the Ford Tow package. Will I have any issues towing this model? Any advice or tips for a newbe?

Manzan

Maximum gross weight of your 21fbs is about 6900 lbs. Check the maximum your truck can tow. My 21fbs loaded weighs in at 6500 lbs. You do not want the max weight of the trailer to exceed the maximum you truck can tow.

d_fergie

It should tow it just fine, I pull my 22FBS with both of my F150's ... be sure not to overload it or the truck though.

'Lil Guy'

I towed mine with my 1/2 ton Ram and it towed great. Make sure you have a weight distribution hitch set up correctly and a sway bar. With the wide track design I don't think the sway bar is really necessary but better to be safe. You'll need a trailer brake set up on our truck. Get ready for some bad mileage. I got around 7 to 8 MPG in tow. Keep your truck in tow haul mode and enjoy. It's normal but if you are towing in hills or mountains you're in for some serious downshifting to keep the RPM higher. I would sometimes change gears to pull up a steep grade but you'll figure it out. Gas engines get their torque at higher rpm, unlike the diesels.
The NT21BBS is a great TT and easy to get into tight spots in state parks and such. I miss mine. It's the perfect weekend getaway rig.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check out fifthwheelst.com for info on checking what your truck can tow. It all depends on the year, model, cab, gearing, 4x4 or 4x2, auto or manual, box size... So do the research. Better to be safe than sorry.

That said, I bet you'll be ok. We towed our 2008 21FBS with a 3008 Tundra. Our tow capacity was 10k, so it towed like it wasn't back there. I think ours was about 5600lbs loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Don't know if you have ever towed before so this is just in case you have not.... Find a large empty parking lot (maybe the school on the weekend) and set up some traffic cones (empty milk cartons work too) and practice backing, turning and stopping. Get the feel for the difference your truck feels when towing. Also use this time to adjust the brake controller properly. One other thing is when traveling down the road when towing, when a large truck (18 wheeler) passes you there might be some sway of the trailer so be aware of this. A properly adjusted sway bar will help with this.

'Lil Guy'

I never noticed the problems with semi's passing. That wide track system on the wheels makes for a great tow. Once you get use to the box behind you, it tows great. Make sure you are running max air pressure in your tires and check them regularly. Give yourself a little more space for stopping. You'll get use to it quick. Enjoy your new TT.

mbopp

What year F150? The new 5.0 isn't your fathers 5.0. The new 5.0 (2011?) would be a good match for the 21FBS.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Better to have more than enough truck than not enough truck...

Don't forget that the more people and other stuff you throw in the truck will dramatically reduce your tow rating!

Most people always look at what their truck will pull . . . but never think about what their truck can stop.

I switched from a 1500 to a 2500 truck last year after I had my most intense white knuckle stopping experience beyond what my truck could handle . . .

If you have kids traveling with you . . . think about that before you go for the long haul with your F150!

Old . . . and new:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194233999.jpg Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

With my old Dodge 1500 (which I loved and miss it immensely) I used to always sweat every time I came upon a stop light . . . but now with my new truck I can stop that thing on a dime!

Get more truck . . . you will not regret it!

mbopp

Re: Better to have more than enough truck than not enough truck...

Yeah, but the OP says it's a regular cab. How many people can he haul?
It's when I see "crew cab" and "1/2-ton" that I worry.

kdw61

Thanks for all the advice. My F150 is actually rated for up to an 8300 lb. trailer, but I knew I didn't want to approach the max. Anyway, I picked it up and towed it home fine. Even got 14 MPG until I hit the flint hills of Kansas. Steep hills and a good Kansas head wind dropped me down to 8.5. Was worried about the engine always running in 5th gear (it is 6 speed auto), but the transmission temperature gauge never moved.

Thanks again for the tips.