Kidde fire extinguisher recall

porthole

Retired
Kidde is recalling about 5 million portable extinguishers. Chances are you may have these in your boat, RV, car or home.

Fire extinguisher manufacturer, Kidde, is recalling nearly 5 million fire extinguishers in the U.S. and Canada.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a faulty valve component can cause the disposable fire extinguishers not to fully discharge when the lever is repeatedly pressed and released during a fire emergency, posing a risk of injury.
Kidde has received 11 reports of fire extinguishers that failed to discharge, but thankfully no injuries have been reported.

Thirty-one models of the disposable fire extinguishers are affected. The extinguishers are red, white, or silver with black plastic valves and ABC or BC rated. Click here to check if your fire extinguisher has been recalled.

<tbody>
</tbody>

http://kidde.inmar-event.com/StandardRegister/LPR.asp?L=607&ac=&ar=

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thanks for posting this info. I have several of these fire extinguishers now I will have to check to see if they are recalled.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I just checked and sure enough at least one of my extinguishers is on the recall list. Now I have to go check the others.....

wdk450

Just to clarify for those who have not yet looked at the linked recall site:

"Not Affected: . . . . .- Fire Extinguishers Purchased Prior to
August 2013 or After November 2014 . . . . ."

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just to clarify for those who have not yet looked at the linked recall site:

"Not Affected: . . . . .- Fire Extinguishers Purchased Prior to
August 2013 or After November 2014 . . . . ."

Guess I don't need to worry about ours as they were in our trailer when we purchased it in September of 2012 . . .

And the other two from our old trailer were definately purchased before the dates listed above.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last year my dear sweet husband experienced a blowout on the inner dual of the box truck he was driving for work, which caused sparks and ultimately a fire as soon as he got to the side of the highway. The extinguisher in the cab of this old truck was not properly charged and was useless.
The fire/smoke damaged a large portion of the contents of the truck while waiting for the fire department to arrive. It was a horrible experience to know he "could have done something" if he had a good working extinguisher.

Immediately, I went and purchased larger extinguisher for the trailer by the door, added a second larger one in the closet (and moved the former trailer extinguisher to the truck.)

So we will need to check this recall.

I encourage everyone to carry more than the standard supplied extinguisher!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

FYI, if you have any unopened cans of any carbonated beverages (pop, beer, etc) handy they'll make a suitable fire extinguisher, (as long as it's not a major fire) in an emergency. In another life I was a volunteer fireman, one day we got a call to a vehicle fire along the highway. By the time we got there some off duty firemen had put the fire out using beer. They shook up the cans, turned them upside down & pointed them at the fire & put it out. When we got there we had to console them on the loss of the beer.

Another tip is that a dry powder extinguisher, will sit for a long time before being used and in a vehicle (car, truck, RV) with the constant bouncing & movement, the powder will settle down and get "packed" down. To fully utilize the powder, before you use it, bump it on pavement or some solid surface to bust up the powder so it will be able to shoot out the nozzle.