A few questions about used Heartland 5th wheels

Hello,

We have been looking at used 5th wheels, trying to decide what brand to settle on and we keep coming back to Heartland. The layout and quality are great for the weight that these units run. I have some model #'s 2009 Sundance 2998RB 2008 Bighorn 3055RL and 2010 Bighorn 3410RE, these are all around 34-35' and do not run my older f350 up to the weight limit!!!

My main question is about the insulation rating, after that, any and all advice and info is Most appreciated. We aren't fulltime but want a unit that is reasonably easy to keep heated and cooled, no telling where and when we may want to go--within reason.
Many thanks, Farmer

jimtoo

Hi Farmer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon that use the units in colder weather than me, but we had a 3055RL ,, 08 and now have a 3670 RL 09 and love both of the units. Was not to hard to heat or cool.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi Farmer,

Generally speaking, the higher up in the product line that you go, the better the insulation. So a Bighorn is probably better than a Sundance in that respect.

If you're planning on being in hot climates, make sure you get a rig with 2 air conditioning units. If you plan on being in sub-freezing weather, you might want to find a rig that has the Tank Heater Option. On 2012 and newer models, this is part of the Yeti Option, also sometimes called the Canadian Arctic Package.

Whatever model you settle on, take a look at our owner-written user guides. There are a lot of helpful explanations and tips that will help you.

stevenssr

Double pane windows is a must if you want to stay warm below freezing temps (maybe one of those Big Horns have double pane windows). I don't have them and my arm next to the little bedroom window gets cold even under the covers.

Garypowell

Sometimes newer is better but we had a 2008 3055RL and LOVED IT! And we used it a lot...probably living in it 1/2 time. We had relatively little trouble with it but we did get a little tired of the sink in the bedroom and the toilet and shower being separated.

We traded it in VA for a 2013 3010RE because it had a unified bathroom and with two main slides it opened up the living area.

I would pay some mobile RV mechanic to look over anything used that you purchase....unless you have experience yourself. Especially the roof and caulking.