Propane leaking?

Dloebrich

I have two tanks with auto switch and both tanks have a gauge that roughly tells you how much gas is left. When I open the tank valves the gauges go up to indicate pressure. When I close the tank valves the gauges slowly drop to zero over 10-15 minutes. This takes place without starting or using any of the propane appliances , furnace etc. Is this considered normal (bleed off) or should I be looking for a leak?

danemayer

Hi Dloebrich,

It's easy to test for leaks with soapy water. If there's a leak, the leaking gas will produce bubbles.

I don't have gauges on my tanks, so I couldn't tell you what's normal. Not sure how many people use gauges.

Garypowell

I have had 5 5th wheels and none of them held pressure over time. I used to look for the leak but could never find one.

Just as you are seeing, though I never timed it, I would travel from one location to another with the tank valves closed and when I arrived (2 - 3 hours later) at the next location always had to turn on the stove and use a lighter to wait for the line to fill up.

I finally decided that if I could not smell it.....must be so slow as to not be a problem.

Gary

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought three of those tank gauges from Camping World . . .

Two for the camper and one for our grill at our house.

Problem on the trailer was that with those gauges on, the tank cover did not fit well, plus they just didn't seem to be very accurate.

Two of the three leaked, even though I used plumbers tape on the tank threads . . . and no matter how tight they were.

I no longer use any of them.

olcoon

I'm just pulling this out of my back side, but I wonder if that is something that is built into the system to relive the pressure when the tanks are shut off. I'd think if there was that much of a leak on the coach it wouldn't take too long to drain the tank. Also there are two types of teflon tape. The white one is for water, etc. There is also a yellow one that is for propane. I've been told you should ONLY use the yellow for propane. Don't know what the difference is, the yellow is sold separately from the white, it's usually with the gas fittings in Lowe's & Home Depot.