Wood under mattress

heyjude

Hi,
We just purchased a 2013 3010RE. The wood under the mattress is very rough around the edges, does anyone have any modification ideas to make it less rough and "snaggy"?
Thanks,
Judy

danemayer

Hi Judy,

A lot of us have used stick-on vinyl floor tiles. A bot at Home Depot will do the job and cost about $20. You might also want to cut some strips to put along the edges of the wood.

Before you ask, the shelving at the head of the bed raises the mattress to help reduce acid reflux.

Attachments

• RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 251

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the self-stick tiles, you can also buy lengths of structural foam corner trim (fake wood look). Use double sided carpet tape strips to adhere it to the tile along the edges. That will prevent slivers when making the bed or brushing against the platform.

I recommend applying a primer/sealer to the platform before applying the tiles.

jimtoo

I think some folks have also bought one of the inexpensive blue or white plastic tarps and covered the wood with that and cut excess off and wraped and stapled it to the bottom side of the bed board so it would give slick surface and also cover the edges.

olcoon

I was going to use the self-stick tiles, but on the way to the check out, I realized how heavy they were. Decided I didn't want to add that much weight. Put them back & got some glossy paint and painted it. Took the board off the bed frame & took it outside the camper. Works great & easier to make the bed now. Does the same thing as the tiles without the added weight. I painted both sides and the edges.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In the carton, the weight is concentrated in a small area. Spread out on the platform, they don't add much in the way of effort to lift it. But paint, plastic sheeting, or tiles; anything is better than that ragged OSB they use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

We just trimmed a piece off the plastic the mattress came in so it fits the bottom of the mattress and just use that and it slides easily, is out of sight and was free. Has been working for almost 14K miles and countless overnights with no problem.

happykraut

In the carton, the weight is concentrated in a small area. Spread out on the platform, they don't add much in the way of effort to lift it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weight he didn't want to add to his rig is the same whether in a bundle or spread out.

ucwinters

Bought some cheap indoor/outdoor carpet at either Lowes or Home Depot and used the electric stapler to secure it to the wood. Felt that it would keep the mattress from sliding around which was a minor concern if we'd used the tiles. Pleased w/ the result.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Thanks for reminding me to fix my platform under the bed. The other day, I removed the mattress and the hinges had worn two holes into the mattress cover. So guess the indoor/outdoor carpet will be in order. While I am at it, I will cut an opening at the foot of the bed frame for a door to use as storage, it is impossible as it is to lift the bed and attempt to use that area as storage with one person.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Okay...what kind of slam is that about the Dodge boys????lol

Ron....Dakota is helping me now...got the door opening cut and the mattress platform removed. Took the hinges off so they would not continue to wear holes in the mattress....Can't imagine why they would place the hinges on top so wear and tear would be so prominent, by just driving down the road. But getting it all corrected.

Ron-Cookie

I'm feeling your pain Garry... I am in the process of replacing my mattress with a Sleep Number bed... This thread has given me some great suggestions on how to keep my mattress air bags from getting leaks.. If it wasn't the hinges, it was screws not screwed in all the way, or slivers on the edges of the platform... hope to have it all done before the Meet-N-Greet Wine Tasting over in Elgin in April.. Perle says "WOOF" to Dakota..

Last edited:

olcoon

:D
In the carton, the weight is concentrated in a small area. Spread out on the platform, they don't add much in the way of effort to lift it. But paint, plastic sheeting, or tiles; anything is better than that ragged OSB they use.

The weight he didn't want to add to his rig is the same whether in a bundle or spread out.

Bernie is 100% correct, it was the total weight I didn't want to add to the coach. We've got enough weight with all the junk we "think we need" without adding more!

BTW Jon, it wasn't the weight the Ram was pulling that concerned me...it's the weight on the coach axels. That Cummins could pull anything!!! I've caravanned following a bunch of Fords & Chevys through the Big Horn mountains in Wyoming, and was humming along while the Fords & Chevys were grunting, groaning & smoking all the way up! A couple of times I almost got out of the truck because I thought they had stopped!!! Jay Coffman & I were the last 2 in line, & were were talking about pushing them on up the mountain so we could make it there before midnight!!! ;):):eek: