Title Weight vs NADA Weight

Ok, looking online for used 5th wheels
I understand that ''salesman talk'' weight is not exactly the weight of the finished, ready to hook up, product. But, is Title or Nada weight reliable?
If not, as rule of thumb, how much should be added on? Thanks-
Farmer

danemayer

Farmer,

There are 3 weights. 1) Empty weight spec, 2) Actual weight as the trailer leaves the factory, 3) Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

The Empty weight spec is not very meaningful. It's based on the design of a trailer with no options and may not include "forced options."

Actual weight as the trailer leaves the factory is printed on a label placed inside the main entry door jamb. That weight may have been changed by local puts and takes, but it'll be as close as you'll get without going to a scale.

The GVWR is the maximum weight the trailer is designed for and includes everything you put into the trailer, along with water and propane.

I don't know what number NADA uses. The most meaningful number for most people's purposes is probably the GVWR. Most people end up running pretty close to that number. So for planning purposes it's very useful.

Our title uses the weight going out the factory door. I would guess that was picked up from dealer documents when the title application was filed. I don't know if that's a uniform practice across the country.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Farmer, Title weights, if noted, are usually Gross Weight. Published weights in Manufacturers literature are fairly close but a lot depends on added options. All RV's have a yellow sticker on the outer left front of the coach that tells carrying capacity. From this, you can calculate the empty weight.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok, looking online for used 5th wheels
I understand that ''salesman talk'' weight is not exactly the weight of the finished, ready to hook up, product. But, is Title or Nada weight reliable?
If not, as rule of thumb, how much should be added on? Thanks-
Farmer

Our previous 5er (Landmark Golden Gate) is for sale on a Ron Hoover Conroe TX sale lot. Go online to see it.