Added Charge Wizard to Converter

Occo

I have a 60A Progressive Dynamics Power Converter in our Bighorn 3400RL
(factory). I just recently discovered the capability of having a Charge Wizard remote for it. WHY DID THE FACTORY NOT INCLUDE IT AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT?? It provides so much important information and charging control of the batteries. AND IT'S CHEAP!!! I added it and a digital DC voltmeter. Now I can see at a glance what is happening with the batteries. Little things like this are a big plus when looking at it from a prospective buyer point of view.

wdk450

The Progressive 9200 series Converter/Chargers have the Charge Wizard microprocessor circuitry built in. The remote pendant just lets you see what mode the converter is in, and even override it. I got the pendant with a replacement unit I bought after my converter was ruined by water damage. Heartland probably saves a few bucks buying them this way, as Progressive normally includes the pendant with the converter. Maybe this wasn't Progressive's policy when you and I bought our trailers.
I found some extremely cheap, very small, self-contained 12 volt DVM modules on E-Bay and bought a couple. 1 I wired into the "Test" switch on the the systems monitor, so the DVM lights up when I press "Test". I also got the other Progressive company's EMS-50C AC power protection system with a remote readout, which is displaying continuously in the control panel, showing the AC voltages and current consumed on each incoming AC feed line. This is particularly handy to watch when trying not to blow the 30 amp RV space pedestal circuit breaker running the air conditioner, microwave, electric heaters, electric water heater, etc.

danemayer

I'm sure everyone at Heartland would agree that the Charge Wizard Remote is a wonderful device, and that only costs a few dollars. But inevitably someone will ask: "How many more trailers will we sell if we make this standard?" Or "Will a purchase decision be swayed by having a Charge Wizard Remote?"

Bohemian

When I was shopping for a new converter many years ago I chose the Progressive. When I found the best prices I also found that I could get the converter with or without the remote at the same price. This nis often the case with these types of addons. If you shop correctly (or Heartland shops correctly) they are free with original purchase. Costly as an add-on. Though, I looked and the price for the remote has fallen dramatically since then.