Garage Upper Bunk Will Not Retract

frumbawa

Hi All.

Been a while since I've posted but do check in on everyone's adventures on a regular basis.

Basically the title of my post explain it all. When I go to retract/lift the HappicJac bunks in the garage, the lower moves up and down in it's range just fine but when going up, when lower meets the upper, everything bogs down and then stops. I can lower the lower again but the upper does not move. It almost seems like there's not enough power but I'm currently plugged into shore power. Nothing on the beds so weight is not an issue. I'm stumped. I tried calling Lippert but they're closed until Monday.

Any thoughts?

Frank

Dloebrich

Try turning the battery switch on for extra power. Also if you have windows with blinds check to see that the cords are not stuck in the bunk tracks, This happened to us and jamb up the tracks

frumbawa

Thanks for the tip Dloebrich. Battery switch is on and battery fully charged, plus shore power. I even tried firing up the gen this morning to see if that would make a difference but no luck. Window blinds and chords also out of the way. I'm stumped.

Lynn1130

Check the bolts in the track that hold the track to the wall(s). I had one back out and stop the bunk from moving up. It backed out because someone, during installation, failed to put the bolt into a stud and it was only through the thin wall. These type of issues drive one nuts.

Appleguy

Did you first pull the 4 pins from each corner of the bed frame where it mounts to the rail? without the pins pulled the upper bunk stays put in the raised position.

Lynn1130

Yeah, that could be too. I made an assumption that since this was a 2012 model he had raised and lowered the bunks before. You know what assumptions do. If it is still pinned it won't go anywhere.

frumbawa

I get some help and try to push up on the upper bunk by hand You may be able to feel where it is binding
Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. Grabbed a friend and we were able to lift the upper bunk to the top position and pinned it there at which point I was able to run the lower bunk up and down a few cycles. Then with lower bunk also at the top position, unpinned the upper bunk and ran them both down. At one point, the upper started to bind but then after a loud pop, everything started working fine. I'm assuming one of the rails must have somehow gotten off its track. Anyway, all good now.

Thanks again.

Frank