Newbie and Digitally Challenged/First Question

MartyR

Thanks for being the great group of rvers you are and being so helpful...We've been rving for several years but this will be our first 5ver...We were looking at Montana and Bighorn and decided on the BH 3160EL....I believe both are well made units but the deciding factor for us was how helpful everyone is on this forum....Hopefully someday I will be able to meet a lot of you....

Ok guys...My first questions...I'm a Ram type of guy and need your thoughts and imput on my ideas on my tow vehicle to purchase. Here's the numbers..BH 3160EL...11,750lbs...GVW 15,500...35'10" length.

Ram 3500 4x4...CC..SRW...LWB (8')...CTD...4440lbs. payload....GVWR 12,300lbs...5th wheel towing 17,120lbs. +/-

OR

Ram 3500 4x4...CC...SRW...SWB (Ram SWB is only 6'4" long)...CTD...4020lbs. payload...GVWR 11,700...5th wheel towing 16,980lbs. +/-

Don't really want a big hip DRW.
How important is another 600lbs. of GVWR?
How important is another 420lbs. of payload?
LWB is 20" longer than SWB...How much more difficult will it be parking your rig (campgrounds) and is it like driving the "Queen Mary"?

Which one would you pick to buy....

Thanks for all the help....Stay safe out there...Marty

jimtoo

Hi Marty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DaveTyler

Newbie here about 5 minutes. Just signed on line for Big Horn 3875. Got the Cart before the horse. I too need a tow vehicle and looking at Ford F350 DRW and like the Chevy but seems not too many here? Please enlighten or send thread info please. Dave & Kathy Tyler from Texas. Canyon Valley area, 65 miles South East of Lubbock. Wife gets whatever she wants, and I know she is the only one on this forum that gets her way? Any deals on new Fords F350 or Chevy, GMC 3500??
Thanks. Just signed yesterday. ChipenDale from Austin recommended this group. Thanks. Dave

danemayer

Hi MartyR and Dave Tyler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum to both of you.

Marty, until last June we were towing with a GMC 3500 SRW Longbed that was very stable. A lot of people talk about crosswind and similar handling issues with SRWs, and I think the long bed may mitigate some of that, at least on the GMC. Ours was extremely stable.

The extra payload is probably a good idea too. With a trailer GVWR of 15,500, you should plan on a pin weight of around 3,100. Add to that the weight of hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, extra fuel, pets, and passengers, and it's pretty easy to get into the 4,000s.

Dave Tyler,

There's a collection of Ford, GMC, and RAM truck fans on this forum. Believe me, you don't want to get them started telling you which is best. They're all good. BUT, it's important to check both the 5th wheel towing capacity AND the payload spec on the exact truck you're considering. Often you'll see the maximum capability and the truck you're buying won't be configured that way. For example, our RAM dually advertises payload up to 7,000 lbs. Our configuration has a spec of around 5,600 as shown on the label inside the driver's door. The max towing capacity of 30,000 is around 24,000 on our truck.

DW_Gray

Marty and Dave, welcome to forum!

In addition to what Dan said, you could use the RV Tow Check app too to obtain realistic tow capacity for any vehicle you consider. As far as I know, RV Tow Check may be the best simplified tool available right now. If you're not familiar with it, I do recommend you read the instructions.

DaveTyler

Dan, Thanks for info. Since my first post I have been looking for trucks. Feel like a idiot for buying trailer first but I do what I am told after almost 50 years. Just now planning to go more often and wanted a trailer to do this with. Will advise on what I find, did do the Full membership for the club deal. Thanks, glad to be here!

Mrsfish

Dan, Thanks for info. Since my first post I have been looking for trucks. Feel like a idiot for buying trailer first but I do what I am told after almost 50 years. Just now planning to go more often and wanted a trailer to do this with. Will advise on what I find, did do the Full membership for the club deal. Thanks, glad to be here!

our last 2 fifth wheels were bought while we did not own a truck! Sometimes it just works that way. But I do have to say that the look on the salesman's face when you tell them it has to be delivered is priceless.

VKTalley

Marty and Dave, welcome to the Heartland family!

My hubby, Malcolm aka MCTalley and I own a F350 Dually and we have had very little issue parking it at campgrounds. I'm still learning (after almost 4 years of owning a dually) how to park it in a parking lot. We do have the long bed crew cab. Malcolm prefers the dually over the single rear wheel for stability but that is a personal preference. Do your research and find the best truck for you whether its a Ford or a Chevy or another brand.

Marty, I know you asked about the Chevy trucks so I'm hoping some of our Chevy owners will jump in and help you out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a relative that sells for GM in Abilene. PM me if you want his name, he often says he'll bring the vehicle to you! (Within 250 miles)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument will never be settled (even though we all know Dodge is the better choice:cool:)!
Take into consideration where the majority of your towing will be. If mountains are going to be on the agenda frequently you may want to consider a truck with higher towing/hauling numbers. This is likely going to give you a higher differential ratio . The higher ratio will cost you some fuel but it will reduce the load on the engine and tranny. That keeps the heat down which keeps the wear down. To me, the cost of higher towing ability is a good investment
And.....down the road if your activities director decides you need a bigger rig you'll already have a truck to pull it!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DRW C/C L/B is not any harder to park than a SRW C/C L/B. Rule of thumb....if the mirrors clear....so will the "hips". Love my GMC 3500 DRW L/B. A 3:73 rear end ratio is good for about any kind of pulling unless you to intend to climb trees. We average 11.5 to 12 MPG towing. Not picking on the Ford guys but the GM exhaust brake works better than Fords unless they have fixed that issue. Don't know about the RAM, but I have heard the RAM's use alot of DEF compared with the other 2 truck brands. In short, what truck you buy is a personal choice.

danemayer

Our 2014 RAM has a dual mode exhaust brake that in my opinion works better than the 2011 GMC did.

Our 2011 GMC used about 5 gallons of DEF for 5,000 miles. The RAM is using nearly twice that. Filling up at truck stops at $2.70/gallon for DEF, that's an extra $13.50 per 5,000 miles which isn't exactly breaking the bank. But I've also noticed that almost all of the DEF usage on the RAM is while towing. It seems to use almost none when not towing. The GMC usage seemed about the same towing or not. So depending on how your mileage is split, the RAM may or may not use more DEF.

whp4262

Our 2014 RAM has a dual mode exhaust brake that in my opinion works better than the 2011 GMC did.

Our 2011 GMC used about 5 gallons of DEF for 5,000 miles. The RAM is using nearly twice that. Filling up at truck stops at $2.70/gallon for DEF, that's an extra $13.50 per 5,000 miles which isn't exactly breaking the bank. But I've also noticed that almost all of the DEF usage on the RAM is while towing. It seems to use almost none when not towing. The GMC usage seemed about the same towing or not. So depending on how your mileage is split, the RAM may or may not use more DEF.

My 2013 Chevy HD 3500 used about 5 gallons of DEF on a trip from Fort Worth to San Diego and back pulling the Cyclone. It uses a lot less running empty so I would say DEF usage on my 2013 is close to your Dodge.

DaveTyler

DaveTyler again. Since last post I did find a truck. Ford F350, DRW, 3.73 rear end , 4x4, diesel. Had to bring old trailer home to empty and trade for new one. Wife said did not know we had so much stuff. Of course "good stuff". The forum has been good to read what other folks are doing too. What's with the Firestone 5000 or Air Lift 5000. Needed or just preference. I did have a set of small ones on F150 4x4. Thanks. Dave

jbeletti

DaveTyler again. Since last post I did find a truck. Ford F350, DRW, 3.73 rear end , 4x4, diesel. Had to bring old trailer home to empty and trade for new one. Wife said did not know we had so much stuff. Of course "good stuff". The forum has been good to read what other folks are doing too. What's with the Firestone 5000 or Air Lift 5000. Needed or just preference. I did have a set of small ones on F150 4x4. Thanks. Dave

Whether you go with the Firestone or AirLift, consider an on-board compressor and in-cab controller. So handy :)

In addition to what Dan said, you could use the RV Tow Check app too to obtain realistic tow capacity for any vehicle you consider. As far as I know, RV Tow Check may be the best simplified tool available right now. If you're not familiar with it, I do recommend you read the instructions.

Thanks for the app. I am researching what truck would be best to haul my RV, the Bighorn 3750FL.

DaveTyler

Not sure if you bought something as yet but depending on the weight I would purchase a duallie or DRW as called on the forum. The stability is a whole lot different. This forum got me in trouble because I researched and asked questions. I have a Big Horn that weighs about 16,000. Good luck in your endeavor and stay away from Chipendale! He is the guy that got me in this mess by joining the Heartland Club and so forth. We are excited. Good luck and let us know what you do. I am still looking at the Air Lift 5000 for our truck. Dave

dlw930

My tow vehicle is a Chevy 3500 DRW. Pulling my then 15,500# Big Country across eastern Arizona on I40 last year with side winds gusting to 40 mph, I was glad I had duals. The truck pulled like a charm and the trailer followed right behind. That's more than I can say for the 18 wheelers in front of me! We just traded for a 2013 Landmark that weighs about 1000# more with a washer and dryer inside the front cap. The extra payload capacity of the duals will about make up for washer/dryer weight. Dave, I know what you mean about Chipendale. He loves to talk about trucks. We had quite a discussion at the Santo rally this spring.

DaveTyler

David, Now with the added weight have you thought about the Air Lift or Firestone air bags? I have been looking at them, had put them on earlier vehicle towing a tongue pull. Looks like I may see you around, signed up for the Bullard Rally coming up. We are in or near panhandle area, 65 miles southeast of Lubbock. Been looking at the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate. Waiting to pull the trigger. How is the washer/dryer? We have the area but Kathy wants it for storage. Thanks. Dave

dlw930

Yes, I've thought about the air bags. Two or three of the folks at rallies have recommended them. I've looked at the Air Lift but haven't pulled the trigger yet either. Maybe after I pull to national and back I'll have a better feel. Haven't used the washer/dryer yet. Yes, storage is at a premium, but there are ways to gain it back. It's just money.