Truck bed mounted hoist for hitch removal hydraulic crane winch etc

porthole

Retired
This is my initial post from the other thread on mounting one of these little hydraulic hoists.

So, this thread got me wondering again.

I have a nice winch hanging from the rafters in my garage. Works great - on a truck that can actually fit in the garage.
Some angle iron and pipe. This spans five rafters. The winch slides left and right for alignment.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...re-heavy?highlight=pullrite+hitches+are+heavy

Hanging from the king pin. Have done that - once. Way to difficult to get lined back up to drop in the bed. And at near 300 hundred pounds, it has to be lined up perfect, fore-aft, side to side and level.
And if you are not careful, you can easily have the lowered tailgate hit the forward baggage door on the trailer.

I bought a used engine hoist off Craigslist, $45. That works pretty good and has just enough reach to pick the hitch with the tail gate down. But it is much more stable moving the hoist in with the tailgate up. The hoist has enough lift to almost clear the tailgate up.
The engine hoist has just enough drop to allow the hitch to land on a Costco dolly. From there the hitch gets rolled under the Cyclone.

The problems with any small jib-crane are capacity (where you need it, eg extension), reach, drop, rotational ability under load and vertical lift / drop

Plan C has always been one of the truck mounted cranes.
Parking lot sale at HF this week.

This for $69
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732-9889.html

This for $59
http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-l...winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61297.html

I had some 3/8" aluminum plate, made backing plates for the top and underneath of the bed.

I mounted the electric winch to the side of the jib.
Mounted the fairlead to the end of the jib.

This will do until I can come up with better rollers and direction change wheels.

Sandwiched the two 3/8" plates with 1/2" bolts to the right rear corner of the bed. Used bolts long enough to allow permanent bolting of the plates, but with enough exposed thread for the crane's base to drop over the bolts.
This way I can remove-install the crane as needed.

Reality. I have just enough reach with the jib extended all the way, almost. With my cable lift not enough reach, so I still have to use the supplied hook.

The little crane worked OK for what I wanted, it lifted the hitch. The winch also did it's part in lifting.
Rotating was a different story. Lot of friction with 300 pounds hanging on the end of a 53" arm.

After rotating just a bit the the truck's bed showed it was not strong enough and the hitch pulled the floor up in the corner just enough to allow the hitch to rest on the bed. Nothing a persuader can't fix.

Back to Plan B. Have to assemble my not portable engine hoist to get the now not mounted hitch out of the bed.

I think this can still work though.
Later today I'll be heading over to our local metal goods supplier to see if I can get an 18" square piece of aluminum, 3/8" to 1/2" thick.
18" will give me enough coverage to pick up what little structural steel is under the bed.

First 4 of 6 holes

F-350%20bed%20crane_01_zpsa50hkoni.jpg

From these two pics you can see where the bed is collapsing.

F-350%20bed%20crane_02_zpszxfsxgs9.jpg

F-350%20bed%20crane_03_zpsb3l71wmc.jpg

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Duane, so you intend to set up this winch each time you install or remove your hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Plan B

Some 1/2" aluminum plate, about 18x12
Two more bolts added as the hoist upright was causing the mounting plate to bend downward in between the two outer bolts.

Test to see if the jib is actually long enough at height to make the picture frame location. It is just long enough.

F-350%20bed%20crane_04_zpsfcb1gbdx.jpg

Hard to tell in these two pics, but the first one is unloaded, second is full hitch weight.

F-350%20bed%20crane_05_zpswrpsjo9j.jpg

F-350%20bed%20crane_06_zpskpgdnnmv.jpg

12" X 18" X 1/2" aluminum plate.

The white stuff is vinyl trim that I had laying around. thought it might help act as a bearing surface to allow the hoist to pivot easier.
I also used a hole saw and some cutting board material to make a disk shaped bearing that sits on top of the base inside the hoist's upright tube.

The hoist swings very easy with these two additions.

The center bolts were added because after the first try the steel base plate was bending.The base sits atop the mounting plate bolts. This makes it easier to remove the entire unit if I want.

F-350%20bed%20crane_07_zpswjhmcvri.jpg

porthole

Retired
Here is why the standard hoist will not work as purchased. Once the hitch is hanging how do you get it down far enough?
The electric winch is bolted to the side of the main jib. This winch is also remote controlled with a key fob.

F-350%20bed%20crane_08_zpsrkoi5osv.jpg

McMaster Carr 3" pulley (bronze bushing, not a ball bearing unfortunately), piece of aluminum flat stock, 1/2" stainless bolt and lock nut.

F-350%20bed%20crane_09_zpshugnuld5.jpg

This is the original position I mounted the winch. After adding the 1/2" plastic bearing the boom would no linger swing under my roll top cover.
Had to lower the hitch mount and then wrap the wire the opposite way so that the wire would clear the control box.

F-350%20bed%20crane_10_zpsw9dpxg6z.jpg

It stows away nicely but could be removed in 5 minutes.

F-350%20bed%20crane_11_zpslcyrki8p.jpg

porthole

Retired
Duane, so you intend to set up this winch each time you install or remove your hitch?

Don't know Lyle.
For now I will leave it in and see if it weathers ok and is not in my way. But, I can remove the entire hoist assembly in a few minutes. Or, just the jack and main boom-winch assembly.

Not that I need anymore firewood, but this should work well for roadside gathering.

travelin2

12v or 110? Do you use your truck bed for other hauling duties? Looks like a cool project. Since I can get my SD in the garage, the come-along is my friend.
beb0e052a28ba03797f44f8f96a21658.jpg

porthole

Retired
12v or 110? Do you use your truck bed for other hauling duties? Looks like a cool project. Since I can get my SD in the garage, the come-along is my friend.

12 volt.
I have a winch in my garage already, installed it for the same SuperGlide. And as you know, that hitch doesn't come out easily. has to be square to the bars when lifting. Same as the TS-3.

My truck will never see the inside of my garage :-(

porthole

Retired
First real test. I left the engine hoist out of the way and used only the truck hoist to install the hitch.
Works fine.

I tried using a snatch block but don't have the height and or reach with the extra space taken up by the block. But the winch is more then capable without it.

So, the engine hoist went on Craig's list this week.

Last edited:

wdk450

When I was a teenager I worked at my Dad's auto parts store. He had the store's Chevy pickup equipped with an electric crane at the right rear corner of the bed, and as I remember it there was a vertical pipe welded to the bottom and corner sides of the bed. The pipe was also a swivel point for the crane. The mast folded down with a hole and large steel pin through 2 thick welded plates to hold it up . We lifted full 55 gallon chemical drums and small engines (occasionally) with that rig. I remember the truck leaning back a little when some heave weight was being lifted behind ( a little like some of the overweight vehicles pictures I just posted ).

porthole

Retired
Gave the make shift crane a real test.
This is an anchor from the shipwreck "Tolten" (Chilean freighter torpedoed off New Jersey in WW II).

Estimates are the flukes weigh about 500-600 pounds and the shank 150-200 pounds.

Worked well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Update on my little guy crane.
My original plan was to make this easy to use and remove. The crane breaks down in several components, mostly with pins and spring clips, and the main pipe has 6 nuts holding it down to the floor.
I never bothered taking it out over the season.

When I went to use the hoist last month to remove the hitch for the winter, I ran into two issues.
Even though the hydraulic ram was retracted all season, the piston still got a pretty good coating of rust on it. Guess you can't expect much from a cheap item from harbor freight. Some WD-40 and a scotch pad got the ram working once again.
Second issue was the remote control winch. When I hit the up button all it did was click. As any good mechanic would try first in this situation, I smacked it a few good times with a wrench and it came back to life. Once again, I guess you can't expect much from a cheap item from harbor freight.

The ram is small enough to leave off the hoist and store in the tool box, but the winch will require something in the ways of weather protection for this year.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Another update.
After sitting in the shed for the winter I put the crane back in.
The bottle jack had to be filled before I operate it and the winch did not work at all.

Took the motor apart and it was filled with brown muddy liquid. I guess it is not environmentally sealed :rolleyes:

Cleaned it up, sanded the commutator and brushes, made some spring adjustments and got it working. Don't think it will last to long though.

SNOKING

I do mine with a 880 lb HF AC hoist in the garage.

Have nice lines with S hooks now to rig to it. Chris

Then DW sold the house. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

CarterKraft

Update on my little guy crane.
My original plan was to make this easy to use and remove. The crane brakes down in several components, mostly with pins and spring clips, and the main pipe has 6 nuts holding it down to the floor.
I never bothered taking it out over the season.

When I went to use the hoist last month to remove the hitch for the winter, I ran into two issues.
Even though the hydraulic ram was retracted all season, the piston still got a pretty good coating of rust on it. Guess you can't expect much from a cheap item from harbor freight. Some WD-40 and a scotch pad got the ram working once again.
Second issue was the remote control winch. When I hit the up button all it did was click. As any good mechanic would try first in this situation, I smacked it a few good times with a wrench and it came back to life. Once again, I guess you can't expect much from a cheap item from harbor freight.

The ram is small enough to leave off the hoist and store in the tool box, but the winch will require something in the ways of weather protection for this year.

Have you looked at any bellows for the cylinder? I just had a though a shock boot might be suitable but there are other options. http://www.mcmaster.com/#protective-bellows/=12c2fez

On the winch drain holes on the bottom resting portions and silicone applied to the upper portions might help it survive a little better.

Rollin_Free

My secondary garage/workshop is 24'x32' with an 18' wide door!

Now I'm real jealous. Of course I can't even get a car in my 3 car garage so not sure a bigger garage would help for more than a year. Can't figure out where all the stuff comes from but it is what it is. Obviously I'm a "pack rat". I'm still jealous though.

travelin2

Now I'm real jealous. Of course I can't even get a car in my 3 car garage so not sure a bigger garage would help for more than a year. Can't figure out where all the stuff comes from but it is what it is. Obviously I'm a "pack rat". I'm still jealous though.

I have even more room. Sold our boat a couple of months ago. And we're planning a huge garage/downsizing sale in a couple of weeks, right after our PA rally.
We've moved twice during our marriage and both times a lot of items never made the trip. We keep saying it's time to move again !!

Rollin_Free

I have even more room. Sold our boat a couple of months ago. And we're planning a huge garage/downsizing sale in a couple of weeks, right after our PA rally.
We've moved twice during our marriage and both times a lot of items never made the trip. We keep saying it's time to move again !!

Kinda sounds like you're testing the waters to go full time in the near future.:cool: