superglide hitch (20k) 2014 F250 short bed - experience ordering a capture plate (for Cyclone)

earlh20659

Hello everyone, I have a Cyclone 3110 on order and I will be towing it with a 2014 F250 FX4 short bed 6.7l diesel w/air bags.
I see that in the operating instructions for the superglide hitch one has to purchase a capture plate to install on the trailers pin
in order for the hitch to work properly. Has anyone ordered a superglide capture plate for towing a Cyclone? I'm guessing that
most cyclone models will have the same model/specs of fifth wheel pin.

Any tips on how to ensure that I order the right one would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Earl

danemayer

Hi earlh20659,

Congratulations on the new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly on capture plates.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yep you'll need that capture plate for the sliding hitch. My dealer installed the correct plate as I have a Moryde pin box. I'm guessing the type of pin box will dictate which capture plate is required. Check with your dealer for the correct one?? You can always purchase elsewhere once you know the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

Before I switched to the Mor/Ryde pinpox, I purchased the Universal Capture Plate from Camping World for the factory pinbox. Used it on two different campers with no trouble.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Before I switched to the Mor/Ryde pinpox, I purchased the Universal Capture Plate from Camping World for the factory pinbox. Used it on two different campers with no trouble.
Yep, thats the plate I'm using and it works great. Very easy to install or remove.

porthole

Retired
Hello everyone, I have a Cyclone 3110 on order and I will be towing it with a 2014 F250 FX4 short bed 6.7l diesel w/air bags.
I see that in the operating instructions for the superglide hitch one has to purchase a capture plate to install on the trailers pin
in order for the hitch to work properly. Has anyone ordered a superglide capture plate for towing a Cyclone? I'm guessing that

Thanks,

Earl

The capture plate is the same regardless of trailer make. The pin box on the trailer is what determines which capture plate you need. Personally i would not go with the universal capture plate if your pin box has a specific part number to use with the SuperGlide, e.g. the MOR/ryde capture plate.

The Trail Air air bag pin box is another pin box specific plate that is available.

Bogie

I would suggest you find out which pin box your rig has and then contact PullRite customer service at 800-443-2307. They can tell you the correct capture plate to order for that pin box. That's what I did and had no trouble at all.

Dean-Pam

I used the universal capture plate from PullRite for two different 5ers on the factory pin box and never had a problem. I recently changed out the factory pin box to a Mor/Ryde pin box and purchased the Mor/Ryde capture plate. Didn't mean to imply in my earlier post I used the universal capture plate with my Mor/Ryde pin box. If you have the factory Lippert pin box, the universal capture plate is the way I would go IMHO.

tomsws6

Thanks,

Earl

Im new to the site but yesterday I took delivery of a cyclone 4200.. I have a superglide 4400 (20k) hitch.. We went to the dealer to pick the cyclone up but I hade the wrong capture plate and would work so the dealer got all the measurements/info and ordered the correct one overnight... They installed the capture plate and my first tow with the superglide and camper was a 4hr drive home from Ashland Va to Camden De with no issues! With this hitch Iv made alot of mistakes because its not a normal hitch and requires so called "universal".. Tell the dealer or Pullrite and they will give you what you need.. Thats the best way so there is no issues, accidents or STRESS! BTW it backed up flawlessly!

Miltp920

I googled pull rite universal capture plate and found this one. $122 this is VERY similar to the one Petes RV installed on my pullrite superglide 16K when I bought my Cyclone. This is really nice, because that set screw holds it on. When I bought my hitch second hand, he sold me the capture plate off his 5er that bolted on with about 9 bolt-screws. NO fun installing on my previous 5er - traded in at Petes. Instead of removing it, they put on the new capture plate, like this one. I love it. I like the idea given to call Pullrite and ask them for a part number for this type of set screw capture plate. You will not be sorry. Twice the set screw loosened up and the plate came loose, but I just had to put it back in place and tighten it up. The set screw moves the plate and pulls the plate against the king pin and that friction holds the plate in place until you are hitched up, then the weight of the 5er also holds it in place. No bolts, only the one set screw.

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

Miltp920

I saw your 2014 f250 tow ratings (if I read them right) GCVWR 23,500.
my 2500 weighs 7700lbs itself. My GCVW is 23,340lb with my cyclone 3100, which I imagine weighs about the same as your 3110 (if you have the generator up front). Just a note, you might be close on your GCVW. Mine has 3280 pin weight. Just want you to be informed. I am shopping for a 3500 for margin.

porthole

Retired
The "universal plates is the version with all the screws. Pin box specific plates are the simple attachment, usually just one set screw.
Note for those with a MOR/ryde pin box, the plate is fitted to the box (and bolts on), but should come with extra blocks that you limit the pin boxes side to side movement with.

I googled pull rite universal capture plate and found this one. $122 this is VERY similar to the one Petes RV installed on my pullrite superglide 16K when I bought my Cyclone. This is really nice, because that set screw holds it on. When I bought my hitch second hand, he sold me the capture plate off his 5er that bolted on with about 9 bolt-screws. NO fun installing on my previous 5er - traded in at Petes. Instead of removing it, they put on the new capture plate, like this one. I love it. I like the idea given to call Pullrite and ask them for a part number for this type of set screw capture plate. You will not be sorry. Twice the set screw loosened up and the plate came loose, but I just had to put it back in place and tighten it up. The set screw moves the plate and pulls the plate against the king pin and that friction holds the plate in place until you are hitched up, then the weight of the 5er also holds it in place. No bolts, only the one set screw.

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG